The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

But let's face it if the AHL was the NHL, we would have a hell of a lot more players to choose from. It is not as simple as you are making it out. There are key qualities a rookie AND an AHL player must show if they are going to be given a chance to take up a place in the PS teams.

By the way:

Suburban had 36 in 67 with a +/- of -5 last season.

Sanguinetti had 40 in 61 with a +/- of +24 and he never got a sniff, he wasn't even re-signed.

My point is we are not really qualified to judge players and their suitability to play in the NHL (I know you are not saying that) and if the management have looked and didn't think anything would be gained by playing him in any more of the PS games it is because his flaws (see my post above i.e. lack of awareness etc) are things that can only be fixed by hard work and concentrated coaching in the AHL. They would be doing him no favours by glossing over these faults and building his hopes up. He is just not ready.

My personal view is there is something about Suban's attitude that might be hindering him and they are attempting to change that by "tough love" If it works he may well go all the way to the top, if not he will likely be traded/packaged or stay in the AHL.

The "attitude" problem (imo) is the same problem Montreal had with PK. They are both flashy, vocal, exuberant players, that clash with the typical, robotic NHL'ER we're used to. 

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

No matter what I think having biega on the roster is probably the worst idea we could have. For gods sake he is almost 30 and just touched the nhl Regularly last year playing à very simple game. Before camp I thought hé was à good fit for thé 7 8 spot but with stecher and pedan impressing, well lets just say I know who im sending down to utica first. Either way we have Biega on our roster only 192649261o40 times better in tanev and 10 times better in sbisa. Honestly I loved his story last year but if he makes it its a joke. Stecher could use some seasoning (maybe hes the réal deal already  à la hutton) but we still have tryamkin larsen and pedan who should be much higher in our Priorities than fricking Biega. Waive him and hope he makes it to utica. Case closed.

Did you actually watch him play? You seem to neglect the fact he was often one of our best defenders, he was physical and he didn't make many mistakes. Above all he didn't let us down, didn't give away needless penalties and stepped into the breach when we were rag-dolled with injuries.

You are writing him off just because he is not a youngster. Where is that in the manual of good coaching and scouting?

I'm not saying he should definitely be in the team but all this glowing talk about players after one PS game doesn't necessarily mean these guys will tear it up in the NHL when the going gets tough. Cut the guy a break.

Subban will be down in Utica working on his defensive zone coverage under Green, so that he's ready to be effective during call ups.

He will likely get a few games this year, but he really needs to work on his defensive zone coverage and learn how to box people out despite his size.

7 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

The "attitude" problem (imo) is the same problem Montreal had with PK. They are both flashy, vocal, exuberant players, that clash with the typical, robotic NHL'ER we're used to. 

And there we have it.

You look at Jordan and see PK -  that way, madness lies I'm afraid.

The NHL is and has been littered with players who have been unable to emulate to any degree the play of their gifted sibling/s. I'm not saying he may not prove to be a fine player in his own right but as of now there is no real resemblance. You have to walk the walk first before talking the talk and that is maybe where Jordan is not quite on the same page as his coaches.

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Did you actually watch him play? You seem to neglect the fact he was often one of our best defenders, he was physical and he didn't make many mistakes. Above all he didn't let us down, didn't give away needless penalties and stepped into the breach when we were rag-dolled with injuries.

You are writing him off just because he is not a youngster. Where is that in the manual of good coaching and scouting?

I'm not saying he should definitely be in the team but all this glowing talk about players after one PS game doesn't necessarily mean these guys will tear it up in the NHL when the going gets tough. Cut the guy a break.

Hé filled à gap and that was great, he played good hockey,  that was great. Now we have younger players with more potential who are playing better than him right now. Pull the trigger.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'd rather him be on the farm showing Subban, sautner and stetcher the ropes. Biega will clear waivers, Pedan will not (younger, bigger, meaner, more skilled) and Tryamkin will not be going to the AHL.

It's a no brainer. Biega knew this would happen last season when he signed his contract. He wanted a one way contract and got it.

10 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

I hope he sticks. Sbisa Larsen Biega Pedan or stecher? 

Management said they're wiling to make those hard decisions. 

If Hutton was the right choice...Stecher?!?!

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It's going to be difficult. I'm like you, I think Sbisa would be a big asset on our revamped and physically upgraded D. 

That said, if Stecher continues to shine we may have a problem fitting him in the line up. Even if we send Biega, Larsen and Pedan down. The tragedy might be that given a couple of injuries to the D we are back in a pretty desperate situation. 

Would management prefer to do to Stecher what they did to Gaunce last year and send him back to Utica and call him up in emergency as he is waiver exempt? If he looks like he could stick that would be a sad outcome.

Edler - Tanev/ Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryampkin - Stecher/Tanev

Sbisa

Pedan, Larsen and Biega down to Utica and take our chances on waivers.

If Stetcher can keep this up and bet 2016's Hutton, we may be forced to move Sbisa sooner than anticipated to not lose depth on waivers.

Edler, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Pedan, Larsen

That could mean Stetcher starts in Utica until we can move Sbisa though, even if he earns a spot.

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hé filled à gap and that was great, he played good hockey,  that was great. Now we have younger players with more potential who are playing better than him right now. Pull the trigger.

I know what you are saying and I tend to agree, all I'm saying is we can't write the other players off, who have shown they can hold their own too early and on such a small base sample.

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

Goodness with the Subban whining. He's a talented offensive D who needs a LOT more development time learning to play in his own end and against men. There's nothing wrong with him being sent down to get that development time you bunch of emos... :rolleyes:

Yes. Subban needs the development and he doesn't really have shot at being there on opening night so there is absolutely no point in keeping hima around with Utica training camp coming up. He needs the minutes and since we are going to carry 8 d-men to start the season, he'd definitely sit a lot of nights and only get 5-6 d-man minutes which is not the way to utilize him at this point. Him wearing an A in camp also says something about the trust management has in him. Even if it is just camp and all. All the kids wanna be up there and crack the roster, but most of them understand the process and work hard to take the next step. With his size he must know and has been told numerous times by family, scouts, coaches and management etc that he needs to be overly good at his position to have a chance in the NHL and stay there for more than just a couple of games. I'm pretty sure he's prepared to sacrifice the time and log the hours it requires to make it.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If Stetcher can keep this up and bet 2016's Hutton, we may be forced to move Sbisa sooner than anticipated to not lose depth on waivers.

Edler, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Pedan, Larsen

That could mean Stetcher starts in Utica until we can move Sbisa though, even if he earns a spot.

Would they trade Sbisa, or Tanev?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would they trade Sbisa, or Tanev?

I feel like its too early to trade Tanev, he was our best dman last year and he provides some smooth defensive work.  We still need him as this season would be a uphill challenge and I want him for the grind. 

Sbisa on the other hand, I just don't think he has the defensive abilities to make the top 4 and he can be replaced by Larsen and maybe even Pedan.  And he is not even playing on the World cup final over Ehrhoff 

29 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

If Stecher is to make this team he has to beat out fellow RHD in Larsen/Biega. I think that's doable, though it's dependent upon management willing to expose those two to waivers. Stecher will have to cleanly beat out both.

l never got why management was so high on Larsen. I found it odd that both WD and JB spoke so positively about Larsen despite being so  tight lipped about guys like Rodin

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Subban will be down in Utica working on his defensive zone coverage under Green, so that he's ready to be effective during call ups.

He will likely get a few games this year, but he really needs to work on his defensive zone coverage and learn how to box people out despite his size.

And I foresee him maybe being effective at the NHL level next year (6/7th guy) playing for Green up here.

54 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Pedan, Larsen

Sbisa has more than earned a spot.  They may, ultimately, decide that he's the one to move, but his spot is not in jeopardy.  Stecher will be in Utica, guaranteed

Just now, stawns said:

Sbisa has more than earned a spot.  They may, ultimately, decide that he's the one to move, but his spot is not in jeopardy.  Stecher will be in Utica, guaranteed

I was saying the same early last preseason about Hutton. I've learned to not be so presumptuous and let the preseason play out. If Stetcher keeps this up they can't send him down.

Now, whether he can keep this up or not... we'll have to see.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I was saying the same early last preseason about Hutton. I've learned to not be so presumptuous and let the preseason play out. If Stetcher keeps this up they can't send him down.

Now, whether he can keep this up or not... we'll have to see.

as they were saying last night........had stecher been in this position last year, sure.  This year, with this d corp rebuilt, it's doubtful.  I agree and some time in utica isn't going to do him any harm

Archived