The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kucherov holding out until signed

4 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

They made him meet the CEO of Canadian Tire in Toronto and I think he started to clue in that things might always be all out of proportion there.

Hahahahahaha! Why the hell would they do that? It would have been akin to having the CEO of Lululemon meet up with prospective UFAs here.

22 hours ago, Green Building said:

I don't think Stamkos "caved", he just didn't care about leaving a competitive team for another million, two million, or whatever bucks per year to play in say... Toronto, a city with a crap hockey team. Tampa should easily be competing for a deep playoff run again.

Make sense to me. I'm curious what Yzerman does about Kuch here. First Drouin, now...

stamkos did cave

he was in position to up the annual contract value for the nhlpa

he likely could have negotiated a contract worth more annually than toews and kane managed

there was a fair bit of pressure on him to raise the contract bar so others could benefit

he chose not to do this

i am still surprised that he did not and accepted tampa's offer

i know of no other pending free agent who was in as good a position as stamkos to achieve a monetary benefit for all of the other players in the nhl

his contract now likely makes the toews / kane contracts a harder ceiling as the max for annual salaries

47 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

stamkos did cave

he likely could have negotiated a contract worth more annually than toews and kane managed

there was a fair bit of pressure on him to raise the contract bar so others could benefit

he chose not to do this

i know of no other pending free agent who was in as good a position as stamkos to achieve a monetary benefit for all of the other players in the nhl

his contract now likely makes the toews / kane contracts a harder ceiling as the max for annual salaries

For me, that defines the exact opposite of caving.

This situation was all predicted by guys like Bob MacKenzie months ago. TB has to move one of their not-so-great contracts in order to not only sign Kucherov, but also give them some breathing room for the rest of the season as well as their next RFA contracts. I think they would like to target Callahan or Coburn or Garrison. The problem is that Callahan has a NTC, and has really underperformed. They would really have to sweeten the pot for teams to bite. Coburn also has at least a NTC (maybe a NMC?). The other possibility is FIlpulla...another underperforming contract. Another NTC or NMC, though. And who would bite? Looks like Jason Garrison might be the odd man out here (again!). Didn't he lose his NTC when we traded him?

On 2016-09-29 at 2:25 PM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

inb4:

IT'S A ONE OFF!!!!   IT"S ONLY LUCK!!!!!!  YOU CAN NEVER COUNT ON GOOD DRAFTING!!!!!  BLAAAHHH!!!!!  LUCK!!!!

Used my minus already unfortunately.  

Everyone knows good players CAN be drafted in the second round.  The chances of finding them are just significantly less than than earlier picks. 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, coastal.view said:

stamkos did cave

he chose not to do this

Huge contracts, like Kane & Toews?

Don't, in a cap world, raise the bar.

It simply leaves less for the rest...

And sets impetus for a new test of the CBA

On 2016-09-30 at 5:31 PM, coastal.view said:

stamkos did cave

he chose not to do this

that's oversimplified

how do two players eating over 20 million of Chicago's cap space "benefit" the rest of the players on that team?

so i guess the posters on here think that stamkos signed for his true value

and that he is worth at least 2 million less than either/both kane and toews

i do not agree in the current nhl player salary market

he signed for less than what he could have for reasons he knows best

i have no doubt he could have achieved a contract paying him the same or more annually than kane / toews get

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i have no doubt he could have achieved a contract paying him the same or more annually than kane / toews get

Stamkos signed for less because he will still take home a crap load of money-due to taxes in Florida he is taking home Kane and Toews money anyway. As a bonus-his team gets cap space. Win/win.

3 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

One thing I've never understood is the taboo behind offer sheeting. They do it all the time in the NBA and it's a normal part of the process (plus doesn't ruin relationships or stick GMs on blacklists).

Even though it would likely bite the canucks in the butt at some point I think offer sheeting would benefit the NHL if it were more common. It would give more power to the players to opt out of a bad situation and would force hardball gms like Yzerman to make a play without dragging it out. Of course the drawbacks is that a team that's rich in young talent like Edmonton or Winnepeg could make themselves stronger without losing any immediate help but it would eliminate them from being able to offer sheet for a while depending on how much they gave up for said player.

On 10/1/2016 at 8:55 PM, coastal.view said:

Isn't he paying less taxes in Florida?  Not to mention being left fairly alone compared to places like TO?

On 10/2/2016 at 2:27 AM, JC2 said:

Even though it would likely bite the canucks in the butt at some point I think offer sheeting would benefit the NHL if it were more common. It would give more power to the players to opt out of a bad situation and would force hardball gms like Yzerman to make a play without dragging it out. Of course the drawbacks is that a team that's rich in young talent like Edmonton or Winnepeg could make themselves stronger without losing any immediate help but it would eliminate them from being able to offer sheet for a while depending on how much they gave up for said player.

If there were more offer sheets going on, I could see GMs paying higher salaries to try to prevent players from hitting RFA.  It would be even more ridiculous for owners and fans to see GMs paying crazy money for players prematurely.  I think it would prevent GMs from building a solid NHL team......while parity is nice, so is seeing a really solid NHL team. I also don't think the NHLPA would want it.  I'm sure they want the majority of the membership to be happy instead of the top 10%.  So while offer sheets are interesting at the time, the overall effect to the NHL product is likely negative.  

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Isn't he paying less taxes in Florida?  Not to mention being left fairly alone compared to places like TO?

He also gets to play on a team thats actually a contender. Money isn't everything and its not like he isn't still making a ton of it. An extra 20 million over 8 years seams huge on top of the 60+ he is getting but then you would have to play for the leafs and miss the playoffs for the next 5 years. 

Archived