The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alexandre Grenier

Sadly, I think that this was his last shot to make the Canucks. With Labate starting to get better and Zalewski becoming higher up on the depth, I think that he will either be an AHLer or a fourth liner for an eastern team like Carolina. They could use a bit more size. I wish him the best but I never really thought that he would make the team this year. Too many guys would have to be waived.

1 hour ago, Lui's Knob said:

He had a bland game last night and seems to be regressing. Fringe NHL player. Had opportunities with the Sedins last year and didn't do a thing. Hope he gets picked up to save cap and contract savings - another poor shoeing for Gillis draft history 

You do realize that if Grenier clears waivers, he gets sent down to Utica and his AAV against the cap is ZERO, don't you?  Contract savings?  A whole $125,000 for playing in the minors and $600,000 playing in the NHL.  That's a whole lot of savings to be had there.  From cap management perspective, a guy like Grenier is low risk asset to have around.  If his play merits that he's in the minors, it costs $125K...if he plays well enough to be in the NHL, he's at league minimum.  

he is the same size as Labate but the guy plays like a small finese euro player. im really disappointed by his showing in the pre-season. 

Zalewski is another guy that wasnt noticeable last night, he needs to step it up. 

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I hate losing players on waivers and I b!tched about this very scenario all summer, but after I have seen his preseason performances he is getting everything he deserves.

Wake up you big goof. 

the thing that annoys me is hes a big guy and he has scapped before so its not like hes a soft player, but he plays like it.

I only noticed him once last night and that was his unsportsmanlike penalty (which was weak) and he gets shoved from behind and just skates away....

24 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

the thing that annoys me is hes a big guy and he has scapped before so its not like hes a soft player, but he plays like it.

I only noticed him once last night and that was his unsportsmanlike penalty (which was weak) and he gets shoved from behind and just skates away....

incognito, like what the hell is this guy? Biggest disappointment of the preseason by far. I guess the only thing good about his dismal preseason is that he'll clear. These big guys take a while sometimes and we may have bought more time.  

47 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

he is the same size as Labate but the guy plays like a small finese euro player. im really disappointed by his showing in the pre-season. 

Zalewski is another guy that wasnt noticeable last night, he needs to step it up. 

I disagree, I noticed Zalewski a lot out there, showed good speed and backcheck 

It's a tad disappointing when sometimes players are pigeonholed into archetypes due to size.  Grenier is certainly big, but it doesn't mean he needs to play like a certified maniac out there to crush everyone (although it would be nice).

That being said, you have to use any advantages you have over others.  Longer reach should make it easier for him to check players.  His frame and size, he should be driving towards the net like a bull and parking in front of the net like an RV.

Oh well... hope he gets his game together eventually. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

Just because he has fought doesn't mean he's a fighter or even a gritty player. He's a skilled player in a big frame who developed late so he's still figuring it all out. He's shown offence in the AHL but it's clearly not the part of his game that's translating to the NHL just yet.

30 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Just because he has fought doesn't mean he's a fighter or even a gritty player. He's a skilled player in a big frame who developed late so he's still figuring it all out. He's shown offence in the AHL but it's clearly not the part of his game that's translating to the NHL just yet.

Show me where and when he is skilled.  The guy is a ghost.

Archived