The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alexandre Grenier

We do really need to do a better job of not caring about what happens with fringe prospects in the name of "asset management".  Folks are still weeping about the loss of Corrado and he is probably going to be on waivers again even though he belongs to one of the thinnest teams in the league.

We "could" lose Pedan if we waive him... but the cost of that is pretty low in comparison with the opportunity if Stecher manages to continue to show some promise.

All teams have fringe players and the waiver wire is full of them.  Due to the cap constraints there are also NHL calibre veterans who can be had to fill any gaps in the bottom of your roster at minimal cost.

Here's Paterson's take on Grenier. Everything under lined I agree with as I didn't see alot from Grenier this preseason compared to other players like Labate and Skille. I wish him the best of luck wherever that may be!

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/

nhl/vancouver-canucks/jeff-paterson-canucks-try-grenier-on-for-size-but-he-doesnt-fit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jeff Paterson: Canucks try Grenier on for size, but he doesn’t fit
alexandre-grenier-cam-talbot-jordan-oest

JEFF PATERSON
Published: October 1, 2016
Updated: October 1, 2016 8:49 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canuck

I had previously written this about Alex Grenier, and his appearance of being a top prospect for the Vancouver Canucks: “To the eye, Grenier appears to have the tools to play in the NHL. However, hunger and an inability to bring his best to the rink on a nightly basis seem to be holding him back.”

It seems the Canucks agreed, as, after two indifferent preseason games, the 25-year-old’s name hit the waiver wire on Saturday, effectively ending his preseason.

Last year at camp there was a big buzz about the 6-foot-5 winger and enough curiosity on the part of the Canucks’ coaching staff that they gave Grenier a chance to skate alongside the Sedins. He had that opportunity again briefly in one of the six games he played for the hockey club during two separate recalls from Utica last season.

But in those games and his two games this week, Grenier failed to deliver. He has National Hockey League size, but either doesn’t want to or know how to use it properly.

As such, he was a passenger for much of his two preseason outings and was overshadowed by the likes of Joe Labate, Jack Skille and Borna Rendulic, who all had their moments in the first week of the preseason. Grenier, meanwhile, now has some soul-searching to do season in the American Hockey League unless he finds a taker on the waiver wire willing to give him a shot elsewhere in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

We do really need to do a better job of not caring about what happens with fringe prospects in the name of "asset management".  Folks are still weeping about the loss of Corrado and he is probably going to be on waivers again even though he belongs to one of the thinnest teams in the league.

We "could" lose Pedan if we waive him... but the cost of that is pretty low in comparison with the opportunity if Stecher manages to continue to show some promise.

All teams have fringe players and the waiver wire is full of them.  Due to the cap constraints there are also NHL calibre veterans who can be had to fill any gaps in the bottom of your roster at minimal cost.

Word on the street is Corrado is having a great camp and preseason. I get what you are trying to say but at the same time you can't give poor assett management a free pass because it's the trendy thing to do around here. We lost Vey +2nd for nothing, we lost Frosling for nothing (how exciting would it be to see him at camp this year) we might lose Pedan + 3rd for nothing. Cool. 

But No big dealz!!! Do you even know what the chancezz of a 2nd round pick playing 500 gamez izzzz?!?!? LOLzzz obviously not!!!!! LOLzzz. Corrado is a nobody like you bro. JB rulezzzzz. 

Cup contenderzz  like us deep in young elite talent can burn assets like this and not miss a beat you troll LOLzzz go cheer for the leafz or oilers. We are winnerzzzz, Dorsett has so many intangiblezzzzzzzzzz. 

44 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Word on the street is Corrado is having a great camp and preseason. I get what you are trying to say but at the same time you can't give poor assett management a free pass because it's the trendy thing to do around here. We lost Vey +2nd for nothing, we lost Frosling for nothing (how exciting would it be to see him at camp this year) we might lose Pedan + 3rd for nothing. Cool. 

But No big dealz!!! Do you even know what the chancezz of a 2nd round pick playing 500 gamez izzzz?!?!? LOLzzz obviously not!!!!! LOLzzz. Corrado is a nobody like you bro. JB rulezzzzz. 

Cup contenderzz  like us deep in young elite talent can burn assets like this and not miss a beat you troll LOLzzz go cheer for the leafz or oilers. We are winnerzzzz, Dorsett has so many intangiblezzzzzzzzzz. 

Are you high or something?

Garteig + Stecher >Corrado/Forsling/Vey...basically every player we dropped has an improvement prospect in their place.  Our organizational depth is the best it has been in years and in a remarkably short turnaround from having completely empty cupboards.

Get back to me when any player we drop or the picks we spent turn into something that would make any material difference to our team.  Mackenzie has openly mocked some of the 1040 guys like Sekeres and Pratt who go on about this nonsense, specifically about Corrado and Pedan even.  Quotes like "Every team has a Pedan in their organization... teams aren't lining up to grab him off the waiver wires.  If some team took him it is to fill in for a temporary injury".  and about Corrado "You will probably be able to take him back soon if you want".

GMs make moves, some don't work out.  No GM in the history of the league has avoided that happening on a regular occurrence.

I think quite a few people have that one prospect they for some reason like for no explicable reason. Grenier is my guy, and I've always kept an extra eye on how he is developing. Saying that, I barely noticed him all camp. I think he still has a chance of turning into something but it all needs to start clicking for this guy or he will settle as an AHL player. 6'5, offensive skills, he's got the whole package to be a dangerous player out there but he leaves you with a lacklustre impression more often than you'd like. 

Utica is going to be a really good team this year. Could be a blessing in disguise for a lot of players development. Should be interesting to see how it all works out and if management are more inclined at keeping some players that are knocking on the door to the NHL down in the AHL for this reason. Gaunce will stick, but I actually think Virtanen will start off the year in Utica, something I wouldn't have pictured a week or two ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see Troy Stecher head off to Utica as well despite of his impressive performance so far. 

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Show me where and when he is skilled.  The guy is a ghost.

Last three seasons of 17/17/16 goals, and 48 points overall last year in the AHL. I'm not saying he showed any of that this camp or we'll ever see him make use of the talents he does have in the NHL, but that's the player he is rather than a gritty banger.

38 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Grenier + 2nd for Yakupov?

Or the Oilers could just claim him on waivers...

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It's a tad disappointing when sometimes players are pigeonholed into archetypes due to size.  Grenier is certainly big, but it doesn't mean he needs to play like a certified maniac out there to crush everyone (although it would be nice).

That being said, you have to use any advantages you have over others.  Longer reach should make it easier for him to check players.  His frame and size, he should be driving towards the net like a bull and parking in front of the net like an RV.

Oh well... hope he gets his game together eventually. 

Good post.

Sadly minimal requirement is compete and if you don't bring that every night, not many coaches will take a risk on you. Grenier, after 3 seasons under Green should have learned that by now. It could just mean he doesn't want it enough.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

People love to complain about everything here, and try to paint a picture that management is incompetent. 

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I never batted an eye at the loss of Corrado because he looked so flat to me as a player. 

Pedan however doesn't . I believe that would be an actual loss.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I never batted an eye at the loss of Corrado because he looked so flat to me as a player. 

Pedan however doesn't . I believe that would be an actual loss.

As it stands agree'd. 

I'd much rather be sitting with Pedan and Stecher atm, than Corrado. 

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Are you high or something?

Garteig + Stecher >Corrado/Forsling/Vey...basically every player we dropped has an improvement prospect in their place.  Our organizational depth is the best it has been in years and in a remarkably short turnaround from having completely empty cupboards.

Get back to me when any player we drop or the picks we spent turn into something that would make any material difference to our team.  Mackenzie has openly mocked some of the 1040 guys like Sekeres and Pratt who go on about this nonsense, specifically about Corrado and Pedan even.  Quotes like "Every team has a Pedan in their organization... teams aren't lining up to grab him off the waiver wires.  If some team took him it is to fill in for a temporary injury".  and about Corrado "You will probably be able to take him back soon if you want".

GMs make moves, some don't work out.  No GM in the history of the league has avoided that happening on a regular occurrence.

You act like JB is some kind of revolutionary who has figured out this new way of building a team through the draft and college FAs. Guess what man, everyone has deeper organizational depth. It's the way the NHL functions now. I don't care what you say or how many people call me a whiner Burning 2nds and 3rds on players you are losing for nothing is pure idiocy. Just make the god damn pick Jim. You are a fantastic drafter. Stop trying to hurry things up. Ya we got Sven Baertschi, but with how well he drafts we could have way more 4 years down the line. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You act like JB is some kind of revolutionary who has figured out this new way of building a team through the draft and college FAs. Guess what man, everyone has deeper organizational depth. It's the way the NHL functions now. I don't care what you say or how many people call me a whiner Burning 2nds and 3rds on players you are losing for nothing is pure idiocy. Just make the god damn pick Jim. You are a fantastic drafter. Stop trying to hurry things up. Ya we got Sven Baertschi, but with how well he drafts we could have way more 4 years down the line. 

pressure from ownership to win now? Compromise. Relax.

13 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The majority of Vancouver Canucks fans won't wait for four years.  We can see that already in the seats and market value for tickets.  Atm the team is constructed to keep the aquas from losing money.

To be honest

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The majority of Vancouver Canucks fans won't wait for four years.  We can see that already in the seats and market value for tickets.  Atm the team is constructed to keep the aquas from losing money.

Well, Losing every year like Edmonton obviously doesn't work. McDavid or not it's true you need a winning culture.

Just now, riffraff said:

Yes, you nailed it and it's one of the reasons I'm so pissed off. 

1. The fact that ownership is this short sighted

2. The fact that Linden and Benning take the heat for ownership's motive

3. The thing that pisses me off the most is how people can buy into it and be like "go cheer for Edmonton" if you question JB's shortcomings. like this @Provost guy is going to sit there and tell me that losing that 2nd and Linden Vey is completely fine because Stetcher and Garteg?!

how about Stetcher, Garteg, and Roland McKeown?How does that look? Cause you can still sign college FA's if you use all your draft picks. 

11 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

To be honest

Well, Losing every year like Edmonton obviously doesn't work. McDavid or not it's true you need a winning culture.

That wasn't my point.  And our market is entirely different than edmontons.  I agree a winning culture is important and it's what Linbenning know.  

Archived