The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alexandre Grenier

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That wasn't my point.  And our market is entirely different than edmontons.  I agree a winning culture is important and it's what Linbenning know.  

You know what is really funny? Everyone cries about how long it's taking Edmonton to tank yet we have been trying to win for over 40 years with the same result. No Cup. If I'm a Edmonton fan, those years of obscurity are completely gone with McDavid and a new arena to look forward to. 

13 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That wasn't my point.  And our market is entirely different than edmontons.  I agree a winning culture is important and it's what Linbenning know.  

its the logical evolution of your point though.

No one can prove it but what if benning was the true architect behind boston's cup? Chiarelli signing with edmonton definitely ups that ante, no?

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Yes, you nailed it and it's one of the reasons I'm so pissed off. 

1. The fact that ownership is this short sighted

2. The fact that Linden and Benning take the heat for ownership's motive

3. The thing that pisses me off the most is how people can buy into it and be like "go cheer for Edmonton" if you question JB's shortcomings. like this @Provost guy is going to sit there and tell me that losing that 2nd and Linden Vey is completely fine because Stetcher and Garteg?!

how about Stetcher, Garteg, and Roland McKeown?How does that look? Cause you can still sign college FA's if you use all your draft picks. 

I think point 1.) isn't entirely accurate in that I don't think the owners are short sighted from a team building perspective.  I think they've been in the game long enough to have some NHL gm knowledge rub off on them.  But it's a business and they made money during the heyday.  Who knows if they are really willing to go through some loss to build a team entirely through the draft. (With a few smart signings along the way of course).

which brings me to point 3.) I would bet that most around here, not all, who say "go Cheer for Edmonton" wouldn't stick out the long process.  It's obvious the fan interest has waned already.  People need to understand that cheering for Edmonton involves living in or near Edmonton.  And what is there in Edmonton besides the oilers?  The mall.

vancover is a diverse city with a fairweather climate and plenty of other ways to get through the winter.

you and I will cheer or bitch no matter what cos we already have for many years just like our friends and family gong back at least a generation.  But cheering and bitching is basically the same: fan interest.  Last year the fan interest was dropping.

"go cheer for Edmonton" is the convenient catch phrase for fairweather newbs and blatant homers.

the fact that you're multi tasking from some armpit bog in Alberta is simply not good enough or too hard to comprehend for joe millennial vancouverite.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You know what is really funny? Everyone cries about how long it's taking Edmonton to tank yet we have been trying to win for over 40 years with the same result. No Cup. If I'm a Edmonton fan, those years of obscurity are completely gone with McDavid and a new arena to look forward to. 

Obscurity? Didn't they go to the finals with the  backing of how many cups with gretzky? 

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think point 1.) isn't entirely accurate in that I don't think the owners are short sighted from a team building perspective.  I think they've been in the game long enough to have some NHL gm knowledge rub off on them.  But it's a business and they made money during the heyday.  Who knows if they are really willing to go through some loss to build a team entirely through the draft. (With a few smart signings along the way of course).

which brings me to point 3.) I would bet that most around here, not all, who say "go Cheer for Edmonton" wouldn't stick out the long process.  It's obvious the fan interest has waned already.  People need to understand that cheering for Edmonton involves living in or near Edmonton.  And what is there in Edmonton besides the oilers?  The mall.

vancover is a diverse city with a fairweather climate and plenty of other ways to get through the winter.

you and I will cheer or bitch no matter what cos we already have for many years just like our friends and family gong back at least a generation.  But cheering and bitching is basically the same: fan interest.  Last year the fan interest was dropping.

"go cheer for Edmonton" is the convenient catch phrase for fairweather newbs and blatant homers.

the fact that you're multi tasking from some armpit bog in Alberta is simply not good enough or too hard to comprehend for joe millennial vancouverite.

That last line was epic especially with the torts pic. lol

8 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

its the logical evolution of your point though.

No one can prove it but what if benning was the true architect behind boston's cup? Chiarelli signing with edmonton definitely ups that ante, no?

And what if benning was the true architect in the seguin trade?:o

14 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

When you're right...

We did get the Twins by being super crappy, and Burke trading a really elite (looking at that time) young Dman in McCabe.  Could we have traded Tanev (not nearly as elite as McCabe) last draft to get one more top 10 pick?  With those two picks could we have drafted two forwards with elite potential?  

I see see us stuck in a place where ownership (management) is not willing to take risks.  Unless we draft top two or three, we MUST take risks if we are going to avoid year after year of mediocrity, as your concern is LaBamba.

3 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Grenier cleared waivers

Excellent, as disappointed as I was in his preseason, it's not too late for him to turn things around. He has all the tools, the only thing holding him back is physiological.  

20 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Care to elaborate ?

The biggest cop out in hockey. When in reality, for how badly mismanaged they have been, 10 years removed from the finals and they now have the best player in the world on their team isn't really that bad in comparison to how long the Hawks and Pens were bad for during there core flips. Mismanagement alone cost them at least half of those 10 years. Like I said before, we have been trying to win during that same 10 year period with nothing to show for. So really, how are we any better off? How can we puff out our chests and say Edmonton is on the path to nowhere. 

33 minutes ago, riffraff said:

vancover is a diverse city with a fairweather climate and plenty of other ways to get....

I don't think the "there is nothing to do in Edmonton" theory applies. What are you going to to in Vancouver at 7pm in the rain that you can't do in Alberta? the reason why they sellout regardless is because the energy industry has given blue collar people a lot of money. In Vancouver your blue collars don't have the money to buy season tickets. You can see it in crowd participation. Even when a Canucks game is sold out its dead. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The biggest cop out in hockey. When in reality, for how badly mismanaged they have been, 10 years removed from the finals and they now have the best player in the world on their team isn't really that bad in comparison to how long the Hawks and Pens were bad for during there core flips. Mismanagement alone cost them at least half of those 10 years. Like I said before, we have been trying to win during that same 10 year period with nothing to show for. So really, how are we any better off? How can we puff out our chests and say Edmonton is on the path to nowhere. 

How long were the pens/hawks bad? I only became a big fan in 2009 so I can't say much on that

I agree with what you said but McDavid alone will not win Edmonton a cup. Sacrafice one duster taking off his cocky head and he's out Have you seen the clip on him challenging the twitter hater goalie? He's a douche. 

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't think the "there is nothing to do in Edmonton" theory applies. What are you going to to in Vancouver at 7pm in the rain that you can't do in Alberta? the reason why they sellout regardless is because the energy industry has given blue collar people a lot of money. In Vancouver your blue collars don't have the money to buy season tickets. You can see it in crowd participation. Even when a Canucks game is sold out its dead. 

Eat sushi.

but yeah you're right about blue collar money.

Archived