The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bank it - Pedan is getting waived

VIC_CITY

I've been saying this since the beginning of the summer. The guy oozes with potential. Well, sort of. He's big, he's mean and according to the Canucks skills competition, he can skate. But will he ever put it all together? My money says no. So brace yourselves CDC...because the time is coming when JB waives Pedan and Alex 'Journeyman' Biega makes the team. So tell me, can you handle it? It's coming... :towel:

As it stands:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Then four of:

Sbisa

Tryamkin

Larsen

Biega

Pedan

Stecher

Sbisa is probably safe, as is Tryamkin. Larsen has skills most don't, then it's one of Biega, Pedan or Stecher. I can honestly see Stecher being the guy, and both Pedan and Biega being waived.

Unless we carry 9 D and utilise Pedan as a forward for a while. Which would mean Etem being exposed to waivers, as well as Virtanen going down.

Tough decisions coming JB's way!

Tryamkin was bad last game, but they pretty much have to keep him around. 

Sbisa is safe.

Biega waivers.

Pedan wasn't very good but he did lay a huge hit and go after Kelly after a hit on Tanev. Nobody else brings this level of toughness. I think Pedan will be our "goon with potential for more", and earn a spot as a spare. He will make the team, but play the least minutes. 

Stecher has played very well. He has made a few mistakes despite oozing with poise and offensive awareness, and spending some time in Utica would probably be good for him. He and Larsen would play the exact same role, and I really think it is one or the other. If Stecher throws together a couple of amazing games Larsen is done if he doesn't manage to do anything. I think Larsen has a better chance of clearing waivers than Pedan. 

If the Canucks lose Pedan to waivers it will be another shining example of a blown opportunity by the coaching staff and management to properly develop a player with so much upside.

Pedan has all the attributes that have been sorely missing for so long here.

He is young, has skill and size along with a willingness to do whatever it takes to help this team.

If he is cast aside it will be an opportunity lost to realize Pedans potential and that mistake will fall directly on the coaching staff IMHO.

Spend some time with coaching and putting him in situations to succeed ffs.

Where is the harm in developing him as a bottom pairing dman? His upside and the overall package he brings exceeds the others that he is battling with.

IMO Stecher is the best of the bunch how ever on the 1st Coyotes PP he just couldn't handle his assignment on the PK. Not sure if putting him out there was an oversight by Willy ( ie Stechers versus Martin Hanzal ) or a test for Stecher  any way the result was a resounding failure. However is keeping Stecher worth loosing Pedan or Biega ....thinking in terms of the middle of next season with for certain injuries.  Loosing the likes of Pedan and or Biega could have a devastating effect on any play-off run. For me we have good enough coverage to put Stecher in Utica. I enjoy watching him but can live without him for the time being. I'm pretty sure Szbisa is gone come expansion and that's when give Stecher the spot he deserves. The D we are talking about are after all 3rd pairing players

7 minutes ago, riske1 said:

If the Canucks lose Pedan to waivers it will be another shining example of a blown opportunity by the coaching staff and management to properly develop a player with so much upside.

Pedan has all the attributes that have been sorely missing for so long here.

He is young, has skill and size along with a willingness to do whatever it takes to help this team.

If he is cast aside it will be an opportunity lost to realize Pedans potential and that mistake will fall directly on the coaching staff IMHO.

Spend some time with coaching and putting him in situations to succeed ffs.

Where is the harm in developing him as a bottom pairing dman? His upside and the overall package he brings exceeds the others that he is battling with.

No...no, it's not.

There are lots of guys like Pedan trying to make the league. All of their teams want them to succeed, and do everything reasonable to help them do so. But at the end if the day, most just end up simply not good enough.

You shouldn't be managing a NHL team if you waive Pedan at this stage.  He would be claimed in under 5 minutes.   

Nucks are are going to carry 8 d and that means stecher will go to the A and biega will be waived. Larsen has not outplayed either but the nucks will not dump yet.  Stecher looks better but he has not played in the show yet. 

Nikita has to stay cause of his deal and pedan is just worth to much to waive and for sure lose.  Biega might not go through.  The upside of this is Sbisa, Tanev, Alex all regularly get injured so these bottom guys will get games.  In an ideal world Nikita would be in the A learning to be a top 4 guy.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think Larsen has a better chance of clearing waivers than Pedan.

At this stage, Larsen also has a much better chance of being placed on waivers than Pedan.  The simple fact is that Larsen and Stecher are competing for the same roster spot and Stecher is winning hands down.  Willie and JB have praised Pedan on several occasions during camp and say that he's improved in the areas they asked of him over the summer.  Him and Tryamkin will be 7-8 and on the 23 man roster.  Unless the Larsen-Stecher situation turns around dramatically, I'd say it's Larsen who's going on waivers. 

1 hour ago, riske1 said:

The simple answer is: every player drafted has potential and some players never make it in the NHL. Players develop at their own pace. Some simply take too long to get there for the team that drafted them. In some cases it's they are not a better option than players already on the roster. As I said a few posts up, it's far more likely the 28 year old fringe d-man (Biega) will go to waivers before a 23 year old prospect (Pedan). Pedan will likely go to waivers as well if Stecher makes the opening roster. The logical thing is to send Stecher to Utica, place Biega on waivers, and keep Pedan here in the 7/8 spot.

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I've been saying this since the beginning of the summer. The guy oozes with potential. Well, sort of. He's big, he's mean and according to the Canucks skills competition, he can skate. But will he ever put it all together? My money says no. So brace yourselves CDC...because the time is coming when JB waives Pedan and Alex 'Journeyman' Biega makes the team. So tell me, can you handle it? It's coming... :towel:

Nope, its Biega. Both Toronto and Edmonton probably keep Pedan on the roster for the full year, but I just can't see anyone doing that with Biega. And if they do, that's OK too.

Don't forget Biega was a stop gap in a D core where Bartkowski actually played 2nd pairing minutes for some games :P

Archived