The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Communist Flag Raised at Vancouver City Hall

Lancaster

City of Vancouver under fire for raising China's flag at city hall

Published on: October 3, 2016 | Last Updated: October 3, 2016 7:17 PM PDT
Kerry Jang.

Vancouver city Coun. Kerry Jang. Arlen Redekop / PNG

A controversial Chinese flag-raising ceremony at Vancouver City Hall is being decried by some Chinese-Canadians as tacit support for the Communist regime.

The Friday event, organized by a group called the Canadian Alliance of Chinese Associations to mark China’s National Day, is one of many flag ceremonies held at city hall.

But the ceremony, which involved hoisting the Chinese flag in front of city hall while Vancouver Coun. Kerry Jang and Richmond East MP Joe Peschisolido stood by while wearing red scarves, has prompted criticism.

“I was shocked,” said Meena Wong, former mayoral candidate for COPE. “To have my city councillor in my city hall raising the flag wearing the symbol of loyalty to communism, I was dumbfounded.”

Wong was a young child in Beijing during the Cultural Revolution and recalls the persecution of her parents and grandparents. For her and many others “it is a painful memory to see that red flag and scarves,” she said.

The Alliance of the Guard of Canadian Values, which has protested local celebrations of Communist leader Mao Zedong, has started an online petition calling for Jang’s resignation.

Jang, a third-generation Chinese-Canadian, said he’s “agnostic” when it comes to Chinese politics.

“Whether or not you agree with the Beijing government, us raising the flag follows federal protocol,” he said, adding the best way to affect change with China is to engage with the country.

Jang, who only stood in for Deputy Mayor Heather Deal at the event because Deal was unable to attend, said he has been dealing with phone calls, emails and personal attacks Monday from people who see the ceremony as proof the city has sold out to the Chinese.

“It’s rooted in ignorance and racism,” said Jang. “To them it doesn’t matter if it’s a Communist government in China, they’re just anti-Chinese.”

The City of Vancouver said flag-raising ceremonies are requested by the community groups, which are responsible for organizing the event and sending out invitations.

Vancouver has approved ceremonies for other countries, including Greece, Armenia, Slovenia, Colombia and the Philippines.

Asked about criteria for which groups or countries get the nod, the city said that generally, it “will host a flag-raising ceremony to recognize the national day of any country that has official diplomatic relations with the Government of Canada.”

With the Falun Gong unable to peacefully protest in front of the Chinese consulate.  With the RCMP and CSIS stating that the Chinese has infiltrated into our political system.  The Confucius Institute (funded by the Communist Party of China) allowed to operate here.  Canada being used as a safe haven for capital and people of China.  Any attempt to raise these concerns automatically labelled as racism.  I guess they might as well make it official.  Vancouver has been bought/conquered by Mainland China.  Long live Chairman Mao!!!  Glory to the People's Liberation Army!!!!

:picard:

Jang, a third-generation Chinese-Canadian, said he’s “agnostic” when it comes to Chinese politics.

Jang, a turd who somehow got into local Vancouver politics, is "agnostic" to his constituency and to any sort of common sense.

Apparently he has responded to criticism by saying it's "racist" and "trolls".  He thinks wearing the red scarf isn't about the Chinese communist struggle.  I cannot tell if this guy is serious and actually thought the red scarf was just something to keep him warm...

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I hope this is a F&#king joke...

I can't begin to imagine how this could be defended but I'm sure some will try.

Try defending this Kerry Jang guy.  I'm just reading into his comments a little more.  He said the scarf represented 5000 years of Chinese culture and said it's the colour for luck.  Mmhmm.  I am going to stop reading because I am starting to develop serious resentment due to his wilful ignorance.

20 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I knew it!  You Canadians are all secret commies!!!

Good thing John Candy isn't alive to see this.  He'd have to declare war on you for a second time!

bizarre-and-random-facts-about-the-cult-

More like at this rate, sadly the lower mainland will be part of communist China by 2020.

The Chinese really need to stop asking for things in the city of Vancouver and the the country of Canada. True Canadians will always look at the Chinese as commies and find things to complain about them and to bring them down. The Chinese from China are looked down upon because of where they come from and cultural differences. The Chinese Canadians will never be seen as an equal to anyother ethnic group because North Americans really just don't give them any consideration. Proof? How many Chinese Canadian or Chinese American celebrities are there? How many are in government? Any person of Chinese ethnicity whether they are Canadian/American or Chinese needs to give up and accept that mainstream society will never accept them. It's just more peaceful that way.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

The Chinese really need to stop asking for things in the city of Vancouver and the the country of Canada. True Canadians will always look at the Chinese as commies and find things to complain about them and to bring them down. The Chinese from China are looked down upon because of where they come from and cultural differences. The Chinese Canadians will never be seen as an equal to anyother ethnic group because North Americans really just don't give them any consideration. Proof? How many Chinese Canadian or Chinese American celebrities are there? How many are in government? Any person of Chinese ethnicity whether they are Canadian/American or Chinese needs to give up and accept that mainstream society will never accept them. It's just more peaceful that way.

Speak for yourself, runaway Chinese Canadian.

Chinese people from mainland China are looked down upon because they are weirdos (although that's slowly changing). The ones from more English speaking parts of Asia are so much more easily integrated into society.

Just now, Hugor Hill said:

Speak for yourself, runaway Chinese Canadian.

Chinese people from mainland China are looked down upon because they are weirdos (although that's slowly changing). The ones from more English speaking parts of Asia are so much more easily integrated into society.

What you see as being wierdo, I see as being culturally different. And what you said in your post is exactly what I meant about people from all nations being accepted in North American society except for the Chinese regardless if they are born there or not. I'm not necessarily blaminging anyone, I'm just saying for a more peaceful existance the Chinese should just pack up and go somewhere they can be accepted which is not North America. 

1 minute ago, smokes said:

What you see as being wierdo, I see as being culturally different. And what you said in your post is exactly what I meant about people from all nations being accepted in North American society except for the Chinese regardless if they are born there or not. I'm not necessarily blaminging anyone, I'm just saying for a more peaceful existance the Chinese should just pack up and go somewhere they can be accepted which is not North America. 

If Chinese is to pack up and go, what about Arabs and others are who even less integrated??

You silly.....

If Chinese is to pack up and go, what about Arabs and others are who even less integrated??

You silly.....

I did not say it will actually happen, just a way of saving themselves the grief.

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

I know but you said *should*, that's bad enough.

bad enough for what? What is wrong with what I said? I simply said is society does not accept then find others that will. I'm not trying to be offensive.

Just now, smokes said:

bad enough for what? What is wrong with what I said? I simply said is society does not accept then find others that will. I'm not trying to be offensive.

You are like the victim's side of Donald Trump.

"Oh we will never integrate, people will never accept us, we are better off gone - look at the celebs, there is your proof."

The truth is nothing like that.

You are like the victim's side of Donald Trump.

"Oh we will never integrate, people will never accept us, we are better off gone - look at the celebs, there is your proof."

The truth is nothing like that.

I'm not looking at this like a victim, I am looking at this like a realist. Truth is a matter of perspective, your truth might not be like that but mine and others like me definately are. Let me break it down a little more. If lets say there are a group of people that you want to be friends with but they don't give you the time of day. Would you stick around?

Just now, smokes said:

I'm not looking at this like a victim, I am looking at this like a realist. Truth is a matter of perspective, your truth might not be like that but mine and others like me definately are. Let me break it down a little more. If lets say there are a group of people that you want to be friends with but they don't give you the time of day. Would you stick around?

No but there are several million people here alone in Toronto.

A recent poll shows Canadians want minorities to start assimilating more in to Canadian society and culture.

Funny, I think I'd rather have the majority assimilate.  Flee China to live in Caada yet refuse to learn our customs follow our laws or even learn english or french.  As evidenced by any street or block or store in Richmond.

Everyone whinges about catering to muslims, or refugees or natives yet the truth is the largest growing demographic in the largest urban centers in the country are the ones pulling this crap and if you pipe up

RACIST!

5000 years of Chinese culture under 1 flag that Chairman Mao all but created under communist rule.  Yup.  5000 years.  Someone scrub this guy from his position already please.

Archived