The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Today Sports - 2016-17 NHL Projections

AriGold

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am actually starting to get less ticked off by these pundits all coming out and putting us last.

It is starting to make me happy, because I can't wait until Christmas when we are sitting in a playoff spot (albeit barely)... while the Leafs and Edmonton are again at the bottom of the standings.... and those same pundits saying no one could see those things coming.  I hope the team sees it as motivation and the opponents take us lightly.  I think there is still some glee in other media in ripping us as we were at the top of the heap for a long time and that makes people envious and spiteful.

One of the Penguins bloggers just put us at the bottom as well, with some harsh words.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Pacific-Division-Preview/177/79659

I stick to my story that we are somewhere between the team of two years ago (when everything went right and a bunch of players had career seasons) and last year's team (where everything went wrong and a bunch of players had the worst seasons of their careers).  That puts us in the 90-95 point range at the end of the season and fighting for a wildcard spot.

I think Anaheim and LA are due to get worse this year.  Dallas has all the making of having the biggest drop in points this year with injuries already and a questionable defence.  Calgary and Winnipeg are probably right close to us in terms of wildcard play.

I'm all for a fair and balanced appraisal of a team's chances at competing. There have been some articles about the Canucks where the writer lays out their case based purely on facts. I can appreciate that.

It's the bloggers out there, whose articles are usually rife with mistakes that allow for bias, conjecture, and disparagement to reign supreme. Those morons are a dime a dozen and offer nothing of substance to the reader.

You know....like those fools Botchford and Brough. Those trolls are nothing more than useless click bait Twitter assclowns.

I think most realize by now that the Canucks are the most despised franchise in the history of the NHL... Beats me as to why (most will say Burrows & Kesler in 2011 whining and diving but it cant just be that...). Idk if it is jealousy (of the city not the team) or what but it is getting a little out of hand..We could have the roster of Team Canada playing for Vancouver and most would still pick us to finish dead last... Its kind of a joke these days and not worth getting upset about..

That said it would not surprise me if the Canucks finish last. But it wont be by that much and it wont be because of the team we have, it will be because of injuries yet again.. I do however agree with the comments regarding Sbisa by the Pittsburgh blogger.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I am actually starting to get less ticked off by these pundits all coming out and putting us last.

It is starting to make me happy, because I can't wait until Christmas when we are sitting in a playoff spot (albeit barely)... while the Leafs and Edmonton are again at the bottom of the standings.... and those same pundits saying no one could see those things coming.  I hope the team sees it as motivation and the opponents take us lightly.  I think there is still some glee in other media in ripping us as we were at the top of the heap for a long time and that makes people envious and spiteful.

One of the Penguins bloggers just put us at the bottom as well, with some harsh words.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Pacific-Division-Preview/177/79659

I stick to my story that we are somewhere between the team of two years ago (when everything went right and a bunch of players had career seasons) and last year's team (where everything went wrong and a bunch of players had the worst seasons of their careers).  That puts us in the 90-95 point range at the end of the season and fighting for a wildcard spot.

I think Anaheim and LA are due to get worse this year.  Dallas has all the making of having the biggest drop in points this year with injuries already and a questionable defence.  Calgary and Winnipeg are probably right close to us in terms of wildcard play.

Ummm...what?!?!? Even the most biased Canuck fans can't see the 3-4 seasons between 2009 and 2013 that the Canucks were actually a contender as anywhere near a "long time" and I'm not sure anyone besides Vrbata had a "career season" 2 years ago. Keep trying though, you'll get things right eventually.

1 hour ago, theilluminati said:

Ummm...what?!?!? Even the most biased Canuck fans can't see the 3-4 seasons between 2009 and 2013 that the Canucks were actually a contender as anywhere near a "long time" and I'm not sure anyone besides Vrbata had a "career season" 2 years ago. Keep trying though, you'll get things right eventually.

What about 2011 and 2012? When the Canucks were destroying everyone? May have felt like nothing those years, but it felt like an eternity for other teams, especially the NW Div. We also had Burrows, Lapierre, Kesler on those teams. Hard not to hate.

8 hours ago, AriGold said:

Thoughts ??

Ct7GPSaWcAAS6cu.jpg

I hope so!

A chance at Liljegrin would be franchise changing.  The kid has potential to be one of the best Dmen in the league.  

If we get bumped down one, we get Nolan. 

If we aren't a real competitor, I'd love to see us go straight to the bottom.  

Well I can certainly understand why would put us low in the league, 6 points below the rest without intentionally tanking that is really, really low.  Would probably be for the best but unless we go into wholesale sell off and get rid of Sedins, Edler and more I just don't see us being that much worse than some of the teams.  19 points worse than the Devils, come-on they don't even have a full roster to field.

The biggest problem with this team is not bad enough to be bottom not good enough to contend.

This will be a tough year.   Playoffs are likely a pipe dream as almost everything would have to go perfectly and with zero injuries with other teams in West having injury issues.   However, this year and perhaps two more will be required to refill the tank and get some top end draft picks.  No more trading picks....just stop it!   It won't take a decade to get back like in Edmonton or a (seems like) a generation like in Toronto but it will be a few seasons before this team is credible in terms of playoffs let alone real contention.   That isn't a bad thing as these cycles are inevitable.   Fan base should support this as winning is all relative versus watching a team actually develop.

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

LOVE being underrated.  This teams is far better than 65 points.  I dont know if theyll make the playoffs, but theyre definitely NOT that bad lol.

Yeah, it never hurts being underrated, but y'know, to be honest, it does start to hurt being insulted all the time for no good reason.  I guess it's just part of being a Canuck or a Canucks fan.  As always, the best way to beat them is on the score board (or maybe this year along the boards a little too).  GCG!

9 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Last eh... that means we pick third!

The Hockey News has the Canucks finishing 30th. I mean it's not like it takes a hockey genius to figure out that this team will be awful this year. It is very early in he rebuild, what do you expect, certainly not success already!

6 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Yeah, it never hurts being underrated, but y'know, to be honest, it does start to hurt being insulted all the time for no good reason.  I guess it's just part of being a Canuck or a Canucks fan.  As always, the best way to beat them is on the score board (or maybe this year along the boards a little too).  GCG!

Well this year's team won't beat them much on the scoreboard so you have to hope that Stecher will beat them along the boards.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

I hope so!

A chance at Liljegrin would be franchise changing.  The kid has potential to be one of the best Dmen in the league.  

If we get bumped down one, we get Nolan. 

If we aren't a real competitor, I'd love to see us go straight to the bottom.  

Assuming we hit gold in the lottery. How do you like the 4thOA?

Archived