The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Who has earned a spot?

Ossi Vaananen

Who should make the opening night roster?  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

***Please read first***

Trevor and Benning have re-iterated this week that they see 2-3 spots open on forward, and are planning to run with 8 D. To me, this means a roster forward spot, an extra forward spot, a regular defense spot and 2 extra defense are open.  I figure now is the best time to make a poll as roster cuts are looming and some of these guys might not make it, despite having earned it. Please note this poll is about who has earned it, not who will stick around due to waivers - so please vote accordingly. 

Fill in the roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen

Burrows - _____ - Dorsett

_____

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - _____

______ , ______

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the poll is about "earning it" regardless of waivers, contract, experience, etc. then Labate probably should be a voting option among the forwards.

LABATE should be on our team, forget the silly poll.

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the poll is about "earning it" regardless of waivers, contract, experience, etc. then Labate probably should be a voting option among the forwards.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I voted Labate as the extra forward but it was only 10% of the vote so far.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I voted Labate as the extra forward but it was only 10% of the vote so far.

Ya, I know gents - it was an oversight. I had 200 votes in my last poll, so it will correct I'm sure. 

7 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, I know gents - it was an oversight. I had 200 votes in my last poll, so it will correct I'm sure. 

Hey, I'm not complaining, I'm just contributing.  I like your contributions Ossi.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is that based on his 20 points in the AHL last year or on his play in games that do not matter to veterans (i.e. to the guys who will play in the NHL this year)?

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Baertschi Horvat Rodin 

Granlund Sutter Hansen 

Burrows Gaunce Dorsett 

Ruutu or Labate 

Edler Tanev 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Sbisa Stecher 

Tryamkin 

Pedan 

I think Skille has been better than Ruutu and equally as good goodor better than Labate but otherwise this looks like opening roster to me

15 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Is that based on his 20 points in the AHL last year or on his play in games that do not matter to veterans (i.e. to the guys who will play in the NHL this year)?

Based on his performance versus the handful of others competing for final roster spots. The games might not matter much to the veteran that are already true roster players, but the PTO vets and young players are fighting for their jobs right now. 

He deserves to be in the mix based on what he's done this preseason (especially in terms of the stated criteria of the poll).

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

***Please read first***

Trevor and Benning have re-iterated this week that they see 2-3 spots open on forward, and are planning to run with 8 D. To me, this means a roster forward spot, an extra forward spot, a regular defense spot and 2 extra defense are open.  I figure now is the best time to make a poll as roster cuts are looming and some of these guys might not make it, despite having earned it. Please note this poll is about who has earned it, not who will stick around due to waivers - so please vote accordingly. 

Fill in the roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

_____

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - _____

______ , ______

Guance, Skille.

Tryamkin Pedan Larsen

ps.  I think Dosett will be moved. (add LaBate)

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

***Please read first***

Fill in the roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

_____

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - _____

______ , ______

Keep in mind, Benning wants a team that is fast, skilled and hard to play against.

Defense is easier for me to address first.

Stecher has earned the spot.  That doesn't mean he gets it.  I want him to though.  Not subject to waivers.

If this happens, then the 7/8 will be 2 of Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen, Biega

Tryamkin - would benefit from lots of minutes in Utica imo.  He seems to me to be overthinking things and since Utica plays the same systems, a month or 2 of playing 20+ minutes would do him a lot of good.  The question is, would he go along with it?  He has so much potential, they will bend over backwards to keep him from going back to Russia.

Pedan and Biega are subject to waivers.  I'm not sure about Larsen (anybody know?)

So, Benning can manage things so that he ices the better line up (as he says) which means waiving 2 players or he can try to retain the most assets which means waiving 1 player.

Biega is the least valuable asset and the most likely to clear waivers so I think they send him to Utica.  Unless Larsen starts showing the offensive flair that they brought him over for, he may get waived.  

Forwards

For what it's worth, I think you have the top 9 nailed.  I'm really not sure about the final 4 pieces.

I think your poll suggests who has a realistic shot (Burrows, Dorsett, Gaunce, Virtanen, Ruutu, Skille, Etem, Labate).  I think that whoever makes the cut will depend on 1. how well they have played 2. their skill set / physical attributes, and 3. the position(s) they can play.  

Gaunce has had the best camp of the bunch and he plays centre or wing.  I also think that he's trying to be more physical than last year.

Of the remaining players, Burrows and Dorsett are both there for their leadership.  I also don't think that they have been outplayed by a margin big enough by the remaining 7 to lose a spot on the team.

Virtanan hasn't played much.  Do we really know where he is at?  I think that like They did with Horvat 2 seasons ago, they send him to Utica to play him lots and bring him up to speed before they recall him.

Of the final 4, I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Ruutu since he can play centre and wing.  Etem is a maybe as 13th man.  Labate goes down but has definitely earned a call up at some point.

The thing is, when Virtanen comes back, the 13th man will either have to be waived or traded.

In 2 months, the forwards are:  Burrows Gaunce Dorsett......Virtanen

The D are:  Sbisa Stecher, Tryamkin Pedan.......

There are 2 preseason games left though

26 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Well to be honest for me all 3 of Ruutu Skille and Labate have impressed and earned a spot. One thing I like about Skille is he has the nose for the net and isn't afraid to get physical. One thing I like about Ruutu is you can put him on the wing and center. Labate has impressed every game he's been in and deserves an extended stay. It's a tough choice but a good one because you can't go wrong  either way.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Baertschi Horvat Rodin 

Gaunce Sutter Hansen 

Burrows Granny Dorsett

Ruutu or Labate

Edler Tanev 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Sbisa Stecher 

Tryamkin 

Pedan 

I don't like Granny at wing, he could be stronger on the boards.. 

Archived