The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

23 man roster...who needs to be protected ?

nickels

I hope this post isn't deleted as being redundant of others.

I would like to hear peoples opinions of who we actually need to protect in order not to risk losing them to another team.

I see Burrows, Sutter, Dorsett  and many others on peoples projected 23 man roster to open the season...when in fact, there isn't a chance in hell that any of these players would be claimed if placed on waivers.

I'll make a quick list, and would be very interested in others opinions..... remember, this is not only based on the players ability, but their value with current contract/salary

GUYS FEEL WOULD BE CLAIMED BY EVERY TEAM

Bo Horvat ...............

Chris Tanev.............

Alex Edler...............

Ben Hutton.............

Janik Hansen.......... 2.5m very attractive                                                   

Anton rodin.........prob most would be interested at that $$

Gudbranson.......100 percent w/only 1 yr left on reasonable contract

Pedan.................Likely claimed

GUYS WHO MAY BE CLAIMED BY SOME

Trymakin................would be claimed w/that contract

Gaunce...............attractive player

Baertschi..............prob over 1/2 at  1 m

Markstrom...............prob most

Sedins....................TBH, not sure how many take on 7mil/yr x 2 (generously 50/50)

Eriksson................not many (we were the only team on record willing to give him 6yrs @ 6m)

Granlund................prob is better than some teams 12-13 fwd

Larsen....................maybe

GUYS I FEEL VERY DOUBTFUL WOULD BE CLAIMED

Miller...doubt @ 6m(only 1 yr left helps him)

Biega

Sbisa @ 3.5 for multiple yrs

GUYS I FEEL NO ONE WOULD CLAIM

Burrows..........not a chance

Dorsett...........not a chance

Sutter @ 4.5 ...no way (i know this will upset people)

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

hahaha Sutter not claimed. Thats some serious under appreciation and stupidity on your part

What team(s) do u feel would want Sutter at 4.5m for 5 years ?

That's a lot of $$/term for a 3rd line C

Entering his 9th season, he has 1 20g yr (played w/Crosby and Malkin on PP for part)

How many other 9 yr vets w/1 20g year are making that kind of $$

33 minutes ago, nickels said:

What team(s) do u feel would want Sutter at 4.5m for 5 years ?

That's a lot of $$/term for a 3rd line C

Entering his 9th season, he has 1 20g yr (played w/Crosby and Malkin on PP for part)

How many other 9 yr vets w/1 20g year are making that kind of $$

Teams would claim Sutter, and trade their guy currently in that spot for more assets.  For example, the Leafs would claim Sutter and then trade Kadri for picks.  Sbisa would be claimed too, and the same scenario would happen.  

"Sbisa would be claimed too, and the same scenario would happen."

Then why don't we give him Edler or Huttons spot and trade them for picks ?

3.5 is a tuff # for a bottom pairing guy. (and i like Sbisa)

I don't know the answer to this...but would Benning take a 3rd rounder(2nd ?) for Sbisa ?

2 minutes ago, nickels said:

Respect your opinion....but, I would take Kadri over Sutter in a heartbeat.

That's okay, but it's the concept that's important.  There would be teams who claim Sutter, and then trade their current guy for assets. If Kadri returned a first, then it would be like trading him for Sutter and a first.  (Only using Kadri for example purposes). 

I think the people on this forum are very delusional in their perceived value of our players(as our probably most team sites). 

I think back to the Kassian proposals bandied about...when, in fact we had to throw in a pick to land Brandon Prust ??

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's okay, but it's the concept that's important.  There would be teams who claim Sutter, and then trade their current guy for assets. If Kadri returned a first, then it would be like trading him for Sutter and a first.  (Only using Kadri for example purposes). 

Leafs don't count as a team.

Careful OP

If you post that canucks aren't going deep this year in the playoffs , many posters here will call you a  troll or a Canuck hater.

You are correct in pointing out that the Canucks have  too many players signed to VERY poor contracts in both money and term. 

Benning has done some very shoddy work in the trades  / contracts  department. He better be a good drafter as his skills in the trading department  / FA signing is pretty suspect. 

20 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Sad thing is it isn't a troll thread.

Maybe, maybe not.  Not much room for discussion as the thread starter quickly berates any contrary opinions.  Might as well re-title the thread SBISA, SUTTER, AND DORSETT HAVE HORRIBLE CONTRACTS, AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Careful OP

If you post that canucks aren't going deep this year in the playoffs , many posters here will call you a  troll or a Canuck hater.

You are correct in pointing out that the Canucks have  too many players signed to VERY poor contracts in both money and term. 

Benning has done some very shoddy work in the trades  / contracts  department. He better be a good drafter as his skills in the trading department  / FA signing is pretty suspect. 

I should go to original post and high lite the Benning contacts in a different color.  The majority would fall in the latter lists.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Not much room for discussion as the thread starter quickly berates any contrary opinions.  Might as well re-title the thread SBISA, SUTTER, AND DORSETT HAVE HORRIBLE CONTRACTS, AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Please show where I have berated anybody's opinions....

" Respect your opinion....but, I would take Kadri over Sutter in a heartbeat. ".....here ?

"hahaha Sutter not claimed. Thats some serious under appreciation and stupidity on your part "....here ?     (oh wait that wasn't my post)

"Not much room for discussion as the thread starter quickly berates any contrary opinions.".......again...not me

BTW....Sbisa, Sutter and Dorsett do have terrible contracts and for this reason would not be claimed IMO. That was kind of the point of the post.

Don't want to be pessimistic but kinda sad what happened to our presidents trophy club .     Missing 2011  - wow how did we blow the transition.....

What a run we had though....  I  guess we have to hit rock bottom before we can start to climb back up.. Its always darkest before the dawn  and all that crap...

Part of a poem by   by George Krokos    -  The sinking ship....... 

The old boat is going down as it has had its day
and all that we know and love is passing away.
It seems strange and sad how this has come about
but the evidence is clear without a shadow of doubt.

For those who have been prepared the way is certain
but for those who are not there's an invisible curtain
between them and that to where they could be going
as the paths to that destination are not at all showing.

There's been too many changes in a world gone mad
and so many of them have only turned out to be bad.

You want to know when things started to go terrible wrong...

Look  at this ....   So sad.....

Draft picks[edit]

Vancouver's picks at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft in ColumbusOhio.[1]

Round # Player Nationality College/Junior/Club Team (League)
1 25 Patrick White (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Tri-City Storm (USHL)
2 33 Taylor Ellington (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Everett Silvertips (WHL)
5 145 Charles-Antoine Messier (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
5 146 Ilya Kablukov (LW) 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia CKSA Moscow (RSL)
6 176 Taylor Matson (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
7 206 Dan Gendur (RW) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Everett Silvertips (WHL)

Archived