The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The trustworthy opinion of EA Sports Season Simulation.

hyper00

Blake Price said something intelligent today :o

Ya, I know.....:P......It went something like this......

It takes a team with serious flaws to finish a season with 63 or 65 points.  That's very low.

The Canucks have good goaltending, a bona fide top 4 D, and a good top line.  They are also decent down the middle.  This is not a team with deep flaws.  The Canucks have a ways to go but they are not a disaster.

Recent teams with 65 or less points:

2015/16  none

2014/15 Edmonton 62, Arizona 56, Buffalo 54

2013/14 Buffalo 52

2012/13 n/a 48 games

2011/12 Columbus 65

2010/11 Edmonton 62

2009/10 Edmonton 62

Blake Price said something intelligent = blue moon.  Sekeres saying something intelligent = chartreuse moon.

A few posters have said it and I agree - I don't think the Canucks will be very good but they won't be that bad.  65 points when loser points happen so frequently?  Not a chance.  I believe that if things go well there is a shot at the playoffs.

The only way they get below the 70 point mark is if they are crushed by injuries to key guys (H. Sedin, Edler, Tanev, Horvat etc...)

Boston with 84 points - 21 more than us, even though we have the advantage on D and just took their top scorer?

And TORONTO with 91? :lol::lol::lol:

Their top scorer last year was PA Parenteau. I understand excitement over some of the young guys...but that's just stupid.

16 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

can't drop that far finishing last actually :) 

With our luck you never know. Maybe there's a Canuck ball that accidentally placed in the 5th pick and it gets taken and the NHL just says f*** it let's just move on.

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

With our luck you never know. Maybe there's a Canuck ball that accidentally placed in the 5th pick and it gets taken and the NHL just says f*** it let's just move on.

I think that's how the NHL does the majority of their business.

20 hours ago, Madwolf said:

It's kind of dumb to run a simulation when they haven't updated the rosters or ratings yet.

I think the fact that's its an entertainment product that runs on dice rolls, and is only worked on enough to not look completely stupid (as there are bigger fish to fry) means that its dumb with or without the updated roster.

We are going to surprise everyone this year. Injuries will be down as team toughness is up. 

Lou is no Radim  he's better by a long shot.  

Thunk about this for a minute. No weber or bartkowski. Add in gubranson on d and who ever else you think will make the team.

Even when you consider some things that are unproven like Rodin 

...and some of our overall depth and competition for jobs. And young players like Horvat improving.

We will make the playoffs this year. And we will win the first round.

Our toughness is up. Our skill is up. Our depth is up. And most important our d is much better.

I also believe our bottom 6 is going to be better. 

Get some smiles bro's.

On October 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sygvard said:

Well, if it DOES happen, at least we lost with style. Better than floating in the endless hell that is missing the playoffs by 2 points. But I do question if their simulation involves a dart board, some dice, and a drunk intern. 

Maggie the Monkey perhaps?

On 10/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

I wonder how many times they sim things? Is it just once or do they do it multiple times and then average out the points? I'm curious because funnily enough, the first season of franchise mode I simmed saw the Canucks take 2nd in the west. 

100% agree. I ran it as well and we finished 3rd (in the playoffs). I also have run the same team scenario several times (ie/ save it back at game 1, run the whole season then go back without saving and run the same team scenario again)...finished everywhere from 4th to 1st. Also do it for the playoffs...everything from being swept in 4 to sweeping the opponent in 4. No consistency whatsoever...so not sure how they come up with their "bold" predictions.

I highly doubt Canucks will sit that far down in the standings, if offense goes well this year without any major injuries we may just miss the wild card playoff position- that'd be a significant improvement over last year for me.

I've simmed seasons multiple times in NHL 16 and one of them had Toronto winning the cup and another with Toronto making the finals, and another with Carolina winning the cup... um yeah, no.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:19 PM, hyper00 said:

Well if you thought "USA Today Sports" had high hopes for us, EA Sports just revealed their season simulation. Just remember that they predicted the Anaheim Ducks winning the cup last season against the Montreal Canadians, and the Canucks winning the cup in 2011.

Canucks are last again.jpg

Yeah I saw that too, but there are so many factors that come into play during the season.  (Injuries/trades etc.) I expect the Canucks to finish higher than 63 points.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:28 PM, S'all Good Man said:

Does Miller get hit by a bus in the prediction assumptions? 

On the + side its predicting 87 points to make the wildcard in the west. Thats just 12 points up from where we were last year, and you have to think Loui and Gudbranson can net us more 6 wins. 

plus a healthy Hank and Suter for a season. 

we are better and will do better than last year 

a plane crash is the only way we finish with 63 points.

It's a sim and all, but damn. Mucked things up it did.

I can't see Washington falling that far after the season they just had. They're essentially the same team. And Toronto over New York and Detroit? Hell, even Ottawa? They aren't that improved. And there's no way Anaheim hits only 77 points. They'll be right in the top four of the Pacific as usual, Calgary and Edmonton aren't gonna knock em out just yet. As for us, there's a lot of folks setting the bar low but if our young guys develop nicely and we get some support scoring we could be a playoff team too. 63 points is insane.

Even a clearly pre medicated tanking Leafs squad couldn't even get that low last season..

It's always fun when other teams and fan bases don't take you seriously..only to find out that they've got a 'tiger by the tail' once the game starts..

Regardless of where we finish..I think this team is going to be fun to watch..

Archived