The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we bottom out, then what?

Sedin Brothers

I hate to start the same old redundant threads, so I thought I'd condense it to one, but if we do indeed bottom out line most expert picks (although I respectfully disagree), what would we do? There's a lot of expectations to be a fringe playoff team for Benning with some of the acquisitions and free agent signings. Therefore if things start to hit the fan, one would have to believe Benning would have to do some damage control, and have no doubt but to think of the future.

There are a lot of players on this roster that can fetch a lot in return prospect-wise if we indeed decided to go full-on rebuild. The Sedin's at 50% salary instantly come to mind, where we could probably fetch a first for each and probably a prospect each as well. Miller, Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Hansen all have value - depending on how deep the rebuild would be. There are some pretty good prospects that could be looked at in the trading pool such as Drouin, RNH, etc.

Like I said, I expect us to be competitive, but if the experts tend to be right, then this is a discussion that will have to be looked at very seriously going forward. We absolutely cannot afford to have players of Daniel, Henrik, Miller, or Edler's magnitude to be a bottom team. There is no point in it.

thoughts?

Yes, we would (and will regardless) go after the best forward our draft position allows.

With that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "experts" are wrong.  I have a good feeling about this season.  Not a we-are-anywhere-close-to-the-cup feeling, but just a general feeling that we will battle for a playoff spot (and in my estimation, secure one), and that this season will actually be competitive.  There are a lot of "what ifs" that lead me to this conclusion and I might be entirely wrong, but it is the abundance of what-ifs that also lead me to my optimism. 

If we suck harsh this year, I guess the Sedins could eventually be traded, but it will absolutely not be until after the expansion draft. No contending team is going to acquire TWO aging players with NMCs that they are forced to protect. So no matter how bad we are, the twins will still be here after the deadline.

But there are some at least decent pieces that could net us some picks - Hansen, Burrows @50%, etc. Could probably get a late 1st for Hansen.

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

If we bottom out? Nolan Patrick says hello.

Wishful thinking. Instead of bottoming out in previous years with the likes of MacKinnon, McDavid, Barkov, Ekblad, etc., we start to bottom out (and perhaps continue) in years where they've finally changed the draft lottery and greatly reduced the chance that even the worst team in the NHL by 11 points picks 1st overall. We couldn't stick at 3rd overall last year, so why expect Nolan Patrick to fall into our laps?

And OP, people are going to make new threads about someone's predictions anyway, so why not just keep the conversation in those threads?

43 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

If we bottom out? Nolan Patrick says hello.

Regardless of how bad the Canucks' record is, unfortunately, the probability of Las Vegas getting the top overall pick is very high:

• If any North American city is master of probability, it will have to be Vegas.
  • If any NHL franchise would know how to manipulate balls, it will have to be Vegas.
  • Vegas is the new franchise.
  • Vegas would needs a star, and it looks like there's only one sure-fire star in the draft.
  • Gary Bettman pushed so hard for Vegas so I'm sure he'll push hard to get them the top pick.

If I were a Bett(-ing)man, I would wager on Las Vegas getting the top overall pick in next year's draft.

I don' think there is much we can do if we bottom out.  Obviously finishing last means we don't have much talent. I realise this has been said before, but any competing team will not be able to afford the Sedins.  Maybe Edler fetches a first.  Hansen a second.  Burrows a bag of pucks.  2nd for Miller (or is that too high for a rental goalie).  Outside of that do we want to trade away anyone else?  

All I am saying is that if we bottom out we don't have the talent to acquire high enough picks to speed up the rebuild, so what is the point of a fire sale?  Why not enjoy watching the Sedins.  Let Edler mentor the younger D men.  Keep Hanson cause he is awesome to watch!  Miller and Burrows are redundant at this point.  Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Wishful thinking. Instead of bottoming out in previous years with the likes of MacKinnon, McDavid, Barkov, Ekblad, etc., we start to bottom out (and perhaps continue) in years where they've finally changed the draft lottery and greatly reduced the chance that even the worst team in the NHL by 11 points picks 1st overall. We couldn't stick at 3rd overall last year, so why expect Nolan Patrick to fall into our laps?

I hear you Elvis.

Nothing this club has accomplished has ever come easy, but that'll make it even more satisfying when we do get there! 

I hope that we would finally go through a proper rebuild after 40+ years of management pulling out all the stops to win. I'm not saying we need to tear it down. We just need to stop with the LE contracts and big moves to get better now. Just sit back, make your picks and build a brand. 

2 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I don' think there is much we can do if we bottom out.  Obviously finishing last means we don't have much talent. I realise this has been said before, but any competing team will not be able to afford the Sedins.  Maybe Edler fetches a first.  Hansen a second.  Burrows a bag of pucks.  2nd for Miller (or is that too high for a rental goalie).  Outside of that do we want to trade away anyone else?  

All I am saying is that if we bottom out we don't have the talent to acquire high enough picks to speed up the rebuild, so what is the point of a fire sale?  Why not enjoy watching the Sedins.  Let Edler mentor the younger D men.  Keep Hanson cause he is awesome to watch!  Miller and Burrows are redundant at this point.  Just my thoughts.

Who says any competing team can't affird the Sedins?

I highly doubt it is this season but I can see a scenario at the 2018 trade deadline they could be dealt to a contender for perhaps a 1st and 2nd.

If we are out of playoff contention at tdl their combined cap hit would be a ton less than 14M. Prorated it is more like like 30 games or 5M. The Canucks can keep something like 2.5M in cap retention. So at 2.5M a lot of teams could afford them especially if more $ are coming back in salary. Just sayin' perfect storm type scenario and...

Archived