The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Connor McDavid named Oilers captain

The Edmonton Oilers have made Connor McDavid their captain.

His widely anticipated promotion finally made official Wednesday afternoon, McDavid was announced as the 15th captain in the history of the Oilers. At 19 years and 266 days old, he's the youngest player in history to hold the position for an NHL franchise.

Coach Todd McLellan spoke to the media soon after the announcement, and compared McDavid's leadership style to Steve Yzerman, the great former captain of the Detroit Red Wings.

"Connor is not a cheerleader. He's not jumping around in the locker room with pom-poms. He leads by example," McLellan said.

"I'm definitely not the most vocal guy in the room, not the loudest guy in the room at all," McDavid agreed. "I just try and lead by example in practice and out on the ice. I think I'm a guy that can relate to everyone, and (I'm) fairly close with everyone on the team. I'm going to try to bring guys together."

Edmonton also announced that newcomer Milan Lucic, Jordan Eberle, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will serve as assistant captains, forming a talented and experienced leadership core for McDavid to lean on.

"He's only entering his second season," Lucic said. "He's still very young. He's still got lots to learn. Older guys like myself can help him with a few things.

"I have experienced a lot in my career thus far, and I have been through a lot. That's why it's a leadership group. Obviously he's the captain and he leads the way, and he's the guy, but there needs to be the guys that follow, and help with it."

The Oilers were without a captain in McDavid's injury-shortened rookie year, when he totaled 48 points in 45 games.

Andrew Ference was the last player to wear the badge for Edmonton on a list that includes Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Kevin Lowe, and Craig MacTavish. The veteran defender served in the capacity in the two seasons prior to McDavid's arrival.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1114489

Good for him. Seems like a solid guy, there's really no one better on that team to be captain. Can't make Lucic or Maroon, they came recently. Sekera would be a bad choice too... 

the rest of their defense is even worse... 

I don't like the Coilers but they made the right choice here. Eberle and RNH are party boys, they don't lead by example and don't deserve captaincy. 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Good for him. Seems like a solid guy, there's really no one better on that team to be captain. Can't make Lucic or Maroon, they came recently. Sekera would be a bad choice too... 

the rest of their defense is even worse... 

I don't like the Coilers but they made the right choice here. Eberle and RNH are party boys, they don't lead by example and don't deserve captaincy. 

Eberle and RNH are party boys?  I never heard of that before.  I don't know why RNH wasn't made captain.  He's worked really hard at becoming a solid 200 foot center.   I would trade Tanev for him in a second.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Eberle and RNH are party boys?  I never heard of that before.  I don't know why RNH wasn't made captain.  He's worked really hard at becoming a solid 200 foot center.   I would trade Tanev for him in a second.

My friend lived in Edmonton and I've got great sources that Eberle and Hall specifically over did it, that's a weak source I know but it is what it is lol... as for RNH I had friends run into him downtown vancouver this summer more a couple times. If my friends saw him twice, then who knows... he must have been out way more. 

1 hour ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

not sure if a 19 years old guy is ready for a leader job . 

for me...more pro experienced players are worth it

but well ...if they think its okay ...its okay 

If the oilers think it's ok

it's not ok.

i don't think they really have any other choice. He's the poster boy for NHL after Crosby.

I'm more disappointed w/ Lucic getting an A though.... is the leadership in Oilers that thin?

Really? An enforcer type presence that threatens other players in handshake line gets an A to assist such a young C and leadership group?

1 hour ago, hatedkid666 said:

He was going to be captain regardless, may as well give it to him now. Lets not pretend that he isnt ready and hasnt faced this kind of pressure before. He'll do a great job.

Exactly.  No point in giving another player the C only for it to be taken away in a few seasons.  McDavid does seem to be mature enough to handle the responsibilities of being a Captain.  The veterans will surely help him out.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

My friend lived in Edmonton and I've got great sources that Eberle and Hall specifically over did it, that's a weak source I know but it is what it is lol... as for RNH I had friends run into him downtown vancouver this summer more a couple times. If my friends saw him twice, then who knows... he must have been out way more. 

What's up with these young (potentially) star players?  Don't they want to win a Cup?

Frankly I think he would be ready as he's been a captain most of his life, and the Oil don't have anyone better, even among the vets.

Still, I think if I were GM I would have given him an A first and then promoted him next season, since with the experience and maturity from having at least played a bit more, he might be better able to carry himself and represent his team as the face of the franchise.  However, that's just me as a fan who hasn't seen him in interviews, conferences or in front of the press.     

Archived