The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

15 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

What?

Are you offended because I don't like Pedan and you do? I don't see how my post warrants your response. It's just my personal opinion on a pretty minor player.

Its that you relegated him with the likes of megna which is not an accurate comparison imho. So yes I'm offended. lol Whats wrong with the guy seriously? He skates he hits and fights. I mean he can really skate. That size with that speed and the grit?? Surely you have him higher that Sbisa or Beiga?

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Uhh...why are you giving me these numbers?

What significance does this have to ability?

I've seen every fight of both of them, complete different class of fighters. 

So I'm curious how you quantify "intimidating presence".  

9 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

So one KO equals intimidating presence?  I guess Kane must be an intimidating presence for knocking out Cooke.

Bickel doesn't look intimidated to me.

Yes. The one fight I said he lost. Show me another one he lost? Take your time. 

Have you ever seen a Mayfield fight? If you are arguing who is the better fighter, I highly doubt you have. 

5 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Its that you relegated him with the likes of megna which is not an accurate comparison imho. So yes I'm offended. lol Whats wrong with the guy seriously? He skates he hits and fights. I mean he can really skate. That size with that speed and the grit?? Surely you have him higher that Sbisa or Beiga?

I compared him to Megna in terms of value. I see Pedan as a guy who could be a capable NHLer, but never anything more - the kind of guy that gets waived. Megna is similar. And since these types of players are readily available, they don't hold much value.

Like most players he does have some good qualities, such as physicality and speed, but as a whole I don't think he's good enough to be more valuable than other 6th, 7th, and 8th d-men in this league.

I have him higher than Biega, who seemed reliable at times but also had high offensive zone starts and easy minutes, and doesn't have much upside. But it doesn't really matter if both Biega and Pedan are waived to make room for Stecher, Larsen, and Tryamkin.

Contract aside, I think Sbisa is a serviceable 3rd pairing d-man who has proven that he belongs in the NHL.

14 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Yes. The one fight I said he lost. Show me another one he lost? Take your time. 

Have you ever seen a Mayfield fight? If you are arguing who is the better fighter, I highly doubt you have. 

My original comment to which you replied was " As someone mentioned earlier, the NYI waived Scott Mayfield, who is pretty much an identical player to Pedan.  Same age, same size, same skillset."

Who cares who has won more fights...do they not play the same role?

23 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

I compared him to Megna in terms of value. I see Pedan as a guy who could be a capable NHLer, but never anything more - the kind of guy that gets waived. Megna is similar. And since these types of players are readily available, they don't hold much value.

Like most players he does have some good qualities, such as physicality and speed, but as a whole I don't think he's good enough to be more valuable than other 6th, 7th, and 8th d-men in this league.

I have him higher than Biega, who seemed reliable at times but also had high offensive zone starts and easy minutes, and doesn't have much upside. But it doesn't really matter if both Biega and Pedan are waived to make room for Stecher, Larsen, and Tryamkin.

Contract aside, I think Sbisa is a serviceable 3rd pairing d-man who has proven that he belongs in the NHL.

Fair enough.

8 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Bigger and younger, sure, those are factually true. Though between you and me, being 6'4 and 200lbs doesn't really fall into the physically imposing category for me.

Tougher...subjective. I'm sure there are fortune cookies tougher than Larsen, but Sbisa is a very tough individual, and unlike Pedan, he actually has the NHL resume to prove it with his hit and PIM totals. And this is coming from someone leading the anti Luca Sbisa fan club.

As for, the last part of your reply, I certainly haven't seen him do that yet at an NHL level. Seems like you are just using his height as a generalization of what defenders of his physical caliber are suppose to do. He hasn't shown anything yet to prove that his ceiling is more than a 6th/7th Dman. And that is just against AHL/prospect squads too. I'd like to see how he would do moving around the Ryan Getzlafs, Joe Thorntons, Martin Hanzals, Sean Monahans, Anze Kopitars, Ryan Keslers of the league. Because thats who he would be dealing with all season long.

I don't see it. If he clears, awesome. If not, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I am waiting for how Stecher handles the Getzlafs, Thorntons, Hanzals, Kopitars, Keslers, Maroons, Lucics and Ferllands of the western divison.  I guess he could slash their ankles with his hockey stick and jump on their back.

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Hahaha how many of you guys flamed me when I started that Pedan will be waived thread? And what do you know, Biega made the team. Shocker... lol

Yeah, and it got locked for lacking any substance. You deserved to be flamed.

7 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

It's also not difficult to see the flaws in your totally reductive logic.

Sure, but it's not like Biega "Stecher'd" Pedan out of the lineup. Sbisa and Tryamkin have both played the right side, and Larsen and Stecher are still competing for a spot (and maybe even both make the team). I'd say all four are better to have on the team than Biega. The only thing Biega brings above those other choices is that he doesn't cost a lot and can sit in the press box most nights without messing up his development. There's clearly some reason he's still here, and if for some reason they have a chance to move Sbisa to get Tryamkin more ice and keep Larsen and Stecher for now, then maybe that's it.

I know I didn't notice Biega at all in watching games, which isn't a bad thing but I didn't hear much about him from anyone either. We did hear about Pedan and others though and it was noted he'd come to camp looking better than last year. We'll see what happens, but it was a surprise for me to see Biega still here (he's not on the roster yet mind you) and Pedan go down. It's either something like the expansion draft, or that they're keeping Stecher up along with the others ahead of both Pedan and Biega.

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I am waiting for how Stecher handles the Getzlafs, Thorntons, Hanzals, Kopitars, Keslers, Maroons, Lucics and Ferllands of the western divison.  I guess he could slash their ankles with his hockey stick and jump on their back.

Works for Phil Kessel? :frantic:

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Sure, but it's not like Biega "Stecher'd" Pedan out of the lineup. Sbisa and Tryamkin have both played the right side, and Larsen and Stecher are still competing for a spot (and maybe even both make the team). I'd say all four are better to have on the team than Biega. The only thing Biega brings above those other choices is that he doesn't cost a lot and can sit in the press box most nights without messing up his development. There's clearly some reason he's still here, and if for some reason they have a chance to move Sbisa to get Tryamkin more ice and keep Larsen and Stecher for now, then maybe that's it.

I know I didn't notice Biega at all in watching games, which isn't a bad thing but I didn't hear much about him from anyone either. We did hear about Pedan and others though and it was noted he'd come to camp looking better than last year. We'll see what happens, but it was a surprise for me to see Biega still here (he's not on the roster yet mind you) and Pedan go down. It's either something like the expansion draft, or that they're keeping Stecher up along with the others ahead of both Pedan and Biega.

After the first camp scrimmages one of the scribes summed it pretty good.

Pedan was bigger, faster, more physical & noticeable.

But Biega, somehow, still seemed to be the guy who won all the puck battles & got to the puck first???

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Agreed.

Agreed.

Because of what Biega did last year, his pre-season performance is less important.  The thing that some fans didn't notice were the match-ups, where Biega has played way above his head and looked better than he should.  I honestly think that other teams have noticed that, and solid D are a big deal.  And 8th D that aren't a controversy are valuable.  He's the perfect coach's guy and team player and plug made good.  The thing about Pedan is that they probably think he'll clear, he's not in a position to make a difference, but has to be brought along, and he may benefit from playing a leading role on what looks to be a decent team.  I honestly think that he'll clear and that Biega would be at a slightly higher risk.

Also, I hadn't considered the possibility that they are keen to trade Sbisa, because I doubt they are, though it makes a little more sense now that we've seen what we have.  But if they are, then an expansion consideration does make more sense here.

4 hours ago, Time Lord said:

What?

Are you offended because I don't like Pedan and you do? I don't see how my post warrants your response. It's just my personal opinion on a pretty minor player.

Who is obviously not even close to being an NHL calibre defenseman.  "But he's so tough, he'll make me feel like a man..."

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah Biega's on the team so he can be exposed for the expansion draft. Rule is you have to play 70 games combined from this season and last. He has to play 19 more games since he played 51 last year. Otherwise if Sbisa had a season ending injury or we traded him we'd have to expose one of Hutton, Gudbranson, Edler or Tanev. 

Archived