The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course he cleared.  Just another classic example of Canuck's fans over valuing their players.  B)

Or how about these are the players we watch and are able to best assess their strengths and weaknesses. No doubt Pedan has deficiencies in his game but he also brings a lot to the table too. I would say there are a few teams that, if they weren't trying to trim their own rosters at this time, could have used a player like Pedan this season. If he should ever reach his full potential there would be about 20-25 teams that would happily take a dman like that, especially if they didn't have to give up any assets to acquire him. 

There are people on CDC who definitely overvalue our players but I find it more common to see people posting who think our players are absolute garbage and worthless just so they don't sound like homers or maybe hoping to impress a few babes online with their NHL scouting Prowess. IMO the ever pessimist will always be worse than the ever optimist. People who trash on our players forget there is a human being there that is giving it their all. That they already knows what they need to work on and they are probably trying every day to get to a point where they can live the dream they have been working for their whole lives and that is to play in the NHL. 

It's true the optimist loves to be hopeful about potential, but make no mistake if Pedan can refine some more aspects of his game, with his size, his mobility for his size, his shot, and willingness to engage physically, he will be a player in this league and one who I believe can make an impact. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Of course he cleared.  Just another classic example of Canuck's fans over valuing their players.  B)

I didn't overvalue him, but was acutely aware that he has two or three elements that are exactly what teams seek.  I would not at all have been surprised if a team took a risk on him. 

I'm glad he's still with our team.  He might not develop into much, but if he does he could be a valuable asset.

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Or how about these are the players we watch and are able to best assess their strengths and weaknesses. No doubt Pedan has deficiencies in his game but he also brings a lot to the table too. I would say there are a few teams that, if they weren't trying to trim their own rosters at this time, could have used a player like Pedan this season. If he should ever reach his full potential there would be about 20-25 teams that would happily take a dman like that, especially if they didn't have to give up any assets to acquire him. 

There are people on CDC who definitely overvalue our players but I find it more common to see people posting who think our players are absolute garbage and worthless just so they don't sound like homers or maybe hoping to impress a few babes online with their NHL scouting Prowess. IMO the ever pessimist will always be worse than the ever optimist. People who trash on our players forget there is a human being there that is giving it their all. That they already knows what they need to work on and they are probably trying every day to get to a point where they can live the dream they have been working for their whole lives and that is to play in the NHL. 

It's true the optimist loves to be hopeful about potential, but make no mistake if Pedan can refine some more aspects of his game, with his size, his mobility for his size, his shot, and willingness to engage physically, he will be a player in this league and one who I believe can make an impact. 

I thought this little face B) meant sarcasm?  :lol:

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought this little face B) meant sarcasm?  :lol:

Oh sorry my man, my sarcasm detector is in the shop for repairs. I really need to get a splashguard installed on it, it's always on the fritz :P 

4 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Oh sorry my man, my sarcasm detector is in the shop for repairs. I really need to get a splashguard installed on it, it's always on the fritz :P 

Now worries (even though I do find the 'man' implication insultingB))  I was one of the biggest dumbos on here yesterday, saying Pedan would get claimed for 100% certain;  broadcasting my belief that no team could pass over his size, skill, toughness, and age package.  :ph34r:

Just now, Alflives said:

Now worries (even though I do find the 'man' implication insultingB))  I was one of the biggest dumbos on here yesterday, saying Pedan would get claimed for 100% certain;  broadcasting my belief that no team could pass over his size, skill, toughness, and age package.  :ph34r:

Intelligence. You forgot his Lidstrom like hockey intelligence.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't worry man, no one can be right every time.

20 hours ago, combover said:

6'5 d men that stand up for team mates can skate well and is young.cause guys like that are easy to find. Benning thought enough of him to give up a third. 

Your worried about a guy that if he pans out will be a 4th liner because those plAyers are hard to find. Like we couldn't have filled the bottom line with  pto players as good as the ones on the roster. 

I agree, a player like that is tough to find...too bad Pedan isn't that guy. My opinion of Pedan is he is nothing more than an AHLer. My opinion of Zalewski is he can be a tough, fourth-line centre in a year or so.

So would I take a fourth-line, tough as nails NHLer over a AHL D...yes I would. 

1 hour ago, billabong said:

interesting names. Isn't Watson a decent prospect? 

Wotherspoon is a bit of a surprise. He had a very solid camp in Calgary. Wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed. 

As for Watson, solid two-way guy with size, that can really move. I'm not sure his offence has really transferred to the pro game, but he could be a decent 15 goal type guy that works hard.  

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

He does not need to clear waivers to come back up, but if he plays 10 games, he would need to clear waivers to be sent back

"If a player cleared waivers and is subsequently recalled during the same year, he does not have to clear waivers again unless he has either played 10 or more NHL games or has spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster since last clearing. Otherwise, he will have to re-clear waivers to be assigned."

Management better have him up for good, then, if they're going to call him up. Either that, or he plays in less than 10 games...

Archived