The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zalewski, Pedan, Megna, Chaput

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Sorry, that's Tryamkin's spot and role. And he can still be recalled (if he passes) to cover multiple injuries.

Unnecessary in your opinion. Pedan is behind Sbisa and Tryamkin in left side depth and redundant behind Gudbranson, Sbisa and Tryamkin as the 'big physical guy' role. He's redundant and wasn't supplanting any of those guys. He also needs playing time. All of that = Utica.

Does Stetcher? He's passed the eye test (so far anyway). Have you looked at his advanced stats and usage? They're arguably even more impressive. Again, he's (so far) earned a spot. Period. From here on out, it's up to him to keep it.

So did McCann, but he wasn't NHL ready.  I'd much rather have a 3 month window to evaluate to greatly reduce that risk than to try and figure everything out over 5 meaningless preseason games.  Sbisa hasn't even played a game yet. 

And that's assuming they keep stecher,  One more D still needs to go.  If Biega and stecher stay, did biega play this preseason really prove his worth this training camp that allows us risk loosing both Pedan and Larsen?

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Because Pedan would be #8 and barely see the ice. That's not going to help him become a 4-6 D.

If Pedan gets claimed, it's cost of doing business and having good D depth. There isn't room for everyone.

Because Stetcher has (so far) earned a spot. Period. 

this x 100

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So did McCann, but he wasn't NHL ready.  I'd much rather have a 3 month window to evaluate to greatly reduce that risk than to try and figure everything out over 5 meaningless preseason games.  Sbisa hasn't even played a game yet. 

And that's assuming they keep stecher,  One more D still needs to go.  If Biega and stecher stay, did biega play this preseason really prove his worth this training camp that allows us risk loosing both Pedan and Larsen?

Stetcher is 22 and has spent the last couple years playing against men on one of the best college teams around.

McCann was 19 and played in Jr against kids.

Short of Stetcher falling off a cliff, he's on the team. Larsen vs Biega... we'll see. I'm guessing Biego goes down IMO.

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

That's a good point.  But if you look at the last two years, we often lose dmen at a rate that makes it tough to gets call-ups in time.  They've identified this as a priority.  I suspect that there is a leadership, attitude, and culture element here too.

Utica needs leadership more than the canucks do.  We have good leaders on the Canucks.  We'd be better off going with 14-7.  We have more players up front pushing for a final spot.

Most teams in the league still have around 30 players on their current roster. Waiver claims typically happen after the end of preseason when team rosters have been trimmed down to 22-23 players. In short, there are so many moving bodies out there that I doubt Pedan gets claimed.

Even if so, there isn't much point keeping him around for the sake of justifying a trade, especially if he hasn't earned a roster spot and is taking one from someone else who deserves it more.

Pedan will get scooped up. Insiders on TSN were talking about this possibility last week. Teams aren't going to pass on a 6'5" 23 y/o with his mobility and shot. 

If we were going to sneak him through, it should have been 3 days ago when the waiver wire was 23 players, and teams were cutting 10-15 a day. 

Not a fan of this in any capacity. I guess it sends the right message to Stecher, but you still have to make one more cut to D. 

16 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

That's a good point.  But if you look at the last two years, we often lose dmen at a rate that makes it tough to gets call-ups in time.  They've identified this as a priority.  I suspect that there is a leadership, attitude, and culture element here too.

seeing as pedan can play d or wing you would think that would have been in his favor 

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Stetcher is 22 and has spent the last couple years playing against men on one of the best college teams around.

McCann was 19 and played in Jr against kids.

He's still an unknown.

Short of Stetcher falling off a cliff, he's on the team. Larsen vs Biega... we'll see. I'm guessing Biego goes down IMO.

So lets play out this scenerio. Pedan gets claimed.

Biega stays, which we can assume as WD said their only room for one of larsen or Stecher.

So then Larsen gets waived and claimed (or bolts back to Europe), How does our D depth look then?

Now we'd be banking on Stecher holding up.  Because if he doesn't and needs some time back in the AHL, we've lost all those assets for nothing.

Asset management is about accessing risk and then making calculated moves.  Not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best based on the limited knowledge you have.  

The other option was to send Biega back, let stecher have some time in the AHL till christmas and remove almost all risk,  It's not like 3 months in the AHL would hurt Stecher development.  If larsen fails, we can bring stecher up with no risk, but if Larsen shows that he is a good PPQB, not we've only to we now have too good young ppqb's we've increased Larsen value to move him for another asset if we'd choose to. 

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Pedan will get scooped up. Insiders on TSN were talking about this possibility last week. Teams aren't going to pass on a 6'5" 23 y/o with his mobility and shot. 

If we were going to sneak him through, it should have been 3 days ago when the waiver wire was 23 players, and teams were cutting 10-15 a day. 

Not a fan of this in any capacity. I guess it sends the right message to Stecher, but you still have to make one more cut to D. 

Agree that the timing is off if they're trying to sneak him through.  Earlier would have been better, like JB did with Markstrom 2 yrs ago.  Teams have now had enough time to give players on the bubble a chance, pare down their rosters, and identify any serious deficiencies on D.  It makes it easier for them to make the call and claim him.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's still an unknown.

So lets play out this scenerio. Pedan gets claimed.

Biega stays, which we can assume as WD said their only room for one of larsen or Stecher.

So then Larsen gets waived and claimed (or bolts back to Europe), How does our D depth look then?

Now we'd be banking on Stecher holding up.  Because if he doesn't and needs some time back in the AHL, we've lost all those assets for nothing.

Asset management is about accessing risk and then making calculated moves.  Not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best based on the limited knowledge you have.  

The other option was to send Biega back, let stecher have some time in the AHL till christmas and remove almost all risk,  It's not like 3 months in the AHL would hurt Stecher development.  If larsen fails, we can bring stecher up with no risk, but if Larsen shows that he is a good PPQB, not we've only to we now have too good young ppqb's we've increased Larsen value to move him for another asset if we'd choose to. 

I called this a long time ago, because I think it is pretty clear cut.  However, I was certain that they'd buy out Burrows.  That would free up the roster spot you're talking about.  That decision is likely to look bad, but I understand why they made it.  They called him the heart and soul of the group.  But it'll be a surprise to me if he plays many good shifts this year.  

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I called this a long time ago, because I think it is pretty clear cut.  However, I was certain that they'd buy out Burrows.  That would free up the roster spot you're talking about.  That decision is likely to look bad, but I understand why they made it.  They called him the heart and soul of the group.  But it'll be a surprise to me if he plays many good shifts this year.  

Can we still buy out Burr.

Archived