The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Yakupov to Chicago

Just now, higgyfan said:

'Cause Chicago's dirt cheap is better than Vancouvers'.

+1.

People need to understand that youth/prospects/AHL depth is not created equal across the league.

I would take Chicago's depth 8 days a week over Vancouver's.

#TheTruthHurts

Rumours were apparently Edmonton was in the thought of waiving him as he had nil value or exposing him to the expansion.  Chicago...they'll get him for pennies and turn him in to dollars.

Hard to be excited to play when it's edmonton and they've all but destroyed your development

48 minutes ago, Monty said:

+1.

People need to understand that youth/prospects/AHL depth is not created equal across the league.

I would take Chicago's depth 8 days a week over Vancouver's.

#TheTruthHurts

^ This

In fact almost any teams depth over Vancouver unfortunately :(

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Any chance they'd bite at Dorsett and a 3rd? Dorsett's and Yakupov's salaries are pretty similar and our 3rd this year could have good value, and we'd also have to free up a spot at forward. 

Seriously?  You would give up that much?  We could offer Grenier and a 7th, and I bet Edm would take it.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I have a feeling, if Yakupov has actual defencemen passing him the puck and legit center like Toews, that he can become a star player. Edmonton was Yakupov's problem IMO

Well, wouldn't even the most average of NHL player succeed with those kind of circumstances?  

11 minutes ago, The Rattler said:

Seriously?  You would give up that much?  We could offer Grenier and a 7th, and I bet Edm would take it.

That really isn't that much. The 3rd rounder in there is what you don't like about it. 

What those of you clamoring for Yakupov don't understand is even if he works out in Chicago it doesn't mean he would have worked out for us.

Great teams can afford to take on projects and have them develop within their team because they have the talent and depth to insulate them while they learn. Players like Grabner/ Hodgson/ Tanev looked fantastic on our up and coming playoff teams because they were allowed the opportunity to progress and learn in the presence of great veterans. A winning environment is EVERYTHING to a young players confidence because it is infectious.

Forsling is another great example, he's pretty much cracked the Hawks roster and will flourish in their system because they have forwards and Campbell who can shelter him and allow him to play his game. Even if he has an off night they have a good chance of winning the game to deflect negative attention away from him.

In contrast I think having Stecher make the team this year would be a bad idea, he is most likely going to be playing with one of Sbisa/Tryamkin/Larsen and that just won't cut it in a mentorship or development capacity (I don't think the Canucks would split up Edler-Tanev).

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Toews in a #1 center on 28 of 30 teams in this league. Combine that with at least 3 defencemen better than Edmonton's best defencemen, and I can see Yakupov getting 50+ points no problem. 

Wasn't at all comparing the centers, but rather complimenting Toews. Maybe the grammar made it seem like I was discrediting McJesus. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Yak is a huge disappointment, no doubt.

But less than half a season playing with McDavid is not a lot to develop a lot of chemistry. More importantly:

Toews>>>>>>>>>>>>>Draisaitl/Nuge

Keith/Seabrook>>>>>>>>>>>Oilers

Quenneville>>>>>>Oilers coaching group

Yakupov has been given chances to play with good players (maybe not D) and has shown nothing except a good 15 games or so with Mcdavid. For Yak to do anything he needs a pure setup guy like a Hank,Thornton, or Backstrom though Toews is a better player then them all he is not a better setup guy then them.

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Yakupov has been given chances to play with good players (maybe not D) and has shown nothing except a good 15 games or so with Mcdavid. For Yak to do anything he needs a pure setup guy like a Hank,Thornton, or Backstrom though Toews is a better player then them all he is not a better setup guy then them.

To me, I think Yak needs structure and his team to have possession. He didn't have either in Edmonton. It's not a guarantee he will succeed elsewhere, but I'm willing to argue Edmonton has hurt his development, and playing with Toews, Seabrook, Keith and under a 3 cups in 7 years coaching system, he would succeed. Yak is talented and has way more than he has shown. Just hope for his sake, it isn't too late (Mclellan can turn him around too, IMO).

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

To me, I think Yak needs structure and his team to have possession. He didn't have either in Edmonton. It's not a guarantee he will succeed elsewhere, but I'm willing to argue Edmonton has hurt his development, and playing with Toews, Seabrook, Keith and under a 3 cups in 7 years coaching system, he would succeed. Yak is talented and has way more than he has shown. Just hope for his sake, it isn't too late (Mclellan can turn him around too, IMO).

I don't know.  We would all like to scoop up a bargain, but in this case, he was even slammed by the Russian coach.  I wouldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Should also add, there is a 50% chance Yakupov gets waived if a deal isn't reached by Edmonton.

My guess, if Edmonton retains salary, they will get maybe Erik Gustafsson or Viktor Svedberg. They certainly aren't getting Pokka, TVR, or Kempny.

Why not?  As the roster is today Chicago will lose either Pokka or more likely TvR in the expansion draft anyway.  TvR can be replaced by Forsling this year and Chicago adds a top 9 forward. 

Nobody wants Svedberg, he was waived and went unclaimed. 

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Yak is a huge disappointment, no doubt.

But less than half a season playing with McDavid is not a lot to develop a lot of chemistry. More importantly:

Toews>>>>>>>>>>>>>Draisaitl/Nuge

Keith/Seabrook>>>>>>>>>>>Oilers

Quenneville>>>>>>Oilers coaching group

+1

Archived