The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk to AHL

Stierlitz

10 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Looks like Higgins will be on the team.

Good for Higgins; he's played well in the pre-seasin and is definitely a more versatile option than Shink.  Probably be on the 4th line or 13 FW.

Also looks like Tkachuk for their 2nd line.

But, but , but, but Benning is terrible....herp dee durrrrrrr   

The kid can't play defense and scores from close to the net...a place he has trouble getting to the in the NHL.  I wish him all the best but it was always a a gamble of a pick.  

9 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

But, but , but, but Benning is terrible....herp dee durrrrrrr   

The kid can't play defense and scores from close to the net...a place he has trouble getting to the in the NHL.  I wish him all the best but it was always a a gamble of a pick.  

What's wrong with  scoring close to the net? Tkachuk pretty much lives there, by this, he'd probably have trouble getting into the NHL?

I think Shinkaruk's main problem is his inconsistency and his frame. I don't think I can recall his defensive game being a weakness but I could be wrong.

Just now, Odd. said:

What's wrong with  scoring close to the net? Tkachuk pretty much lives there, by this, he'd probably have trouble getting into the NHL?

I think Shinkaruk's main problem is his inconsistency and his frame. I don't think I can recall his defensive game being a weakness but I could be wrong.

You missed the point of that statement....  Shinkaruk scores much of his points on the PP and close to the net.  Doing this in juniors and the AHL is very different than in the NHL where the defensemen are faster, better and bigger. Tkachuk is a big body......why even mention him? Apples and oranges...... 

I'm certainly not writing Shinkaruk off as a NHL prospect, but he is starting to look more and more like a fringe prospect than a future top 6.  Everybody loses their mind every time Benning makes a deal, and is not willing to be patient or give him the benefit of the doubt.  Since the trade, Granlund has improved his value greatly, and Shink has stayed the same or dropped.

Maybe it's time to back off of the Benning bashing and see that he has:

1) filled the 21 to 24 age gap that we had.

2) turned our defensive depth at the NHL and prospect level from a glaring weakness to a organizational strength.

3) improved our prospect pool from one of the worst to above average in 2 years, 1 of which was a 100+ point season.

Not bad for the worst GM in the league.

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

You missed the point of that statement....  Shinkaruk scores much of his points on the PP and close to the net.  Doing this in juniors and the AHL is very different than in the NHL where the defensemen are faster, better and bigger. Tkachuk is a big body......why even mention him? Apples and oranges...... 

Ahh, I get you.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

3) improved our prospect pool from one of the worst to above average in 2 years, 1 of which was a 100+ point season.

That really depends on who you ask. I think it's way better than during the Gillis era but every ranking ever released about prospects has us below 15th.

Archived