The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Minnesota Claim F Teemu Pulkkinen Off Waivers

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Just seems like the perfect opportunity for us to waive Etem and pick up teemu. 

Am I correct that we're 3rd in the waiver wire order? Behind Leafs and coilers? Can't imagine the Leafs passing on this guy... Please Jimbo... Place a claim. 

for a flaming homer, you sure are assume another team's assets are better.

I thought he would've made the Wings for sure. Pick him up, sign Ruutu, and send Virtanen and Etem to Utica for a year? I wouldn't mind that, especially if Rodin is out for a while. 

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Ruutu - Sutter - Pulkkinen

Granlund - Gaunce - Dorsett

Burrows

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I thought he would've made the Wings for sure. Pick him up, sign Ruutu, and send Virtanen and Etem to Utica for a year? I wouldn't mind that, especially if Rodin is out for a while. 

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows

My thoughts exactly.

7 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Seems like a lateral move to me actually.   Both had similar pp/g numbers in AHL and neither can translate this to the NHL.  Etem has no significant injury history and can bring an element of physicality which Pulkkimon doesn't.   MEH....

Agreed.

Pulkkimon needs to play top 6 minutes to achieve his offense potential - he's likely not going to do that here  (or in Detroit apparently ).

Etem otoh can still contribute in the bottom 6 in other ways  (physicality).

People forget how easy we were to play against last year and get all starry-eyed looking at Pulkkimons inflated AHL numbers which won't translate to the NHL.

Imo,  when 100%, Rodin can provide what Pulkkimon can.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

for a flaming homer, you sure are assume another team's assets are better.

I'm pretty sold on teemu. 

We can send Jake down, grab teemu or even waive Etem or send Gaunce down and then call up whichever of Gaunce / virt as soon as we get one injury. Imo that's good asset management. Teemu is a top end talent and we'll probably never be 3rd last and have a opportunity to claim a player like him 

19 minutes ago, Pears said:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows

What happen to Rodin? I thought he was healthy and ready to go for the new season. He could easily surprise trams with his play and notch 40+ points maybe even more.

35 minutes ago, apollo said:

Gonna be choked if the laughs pick him up. Hoping Vancouver or a contender.

Was really counting on him to play a big part on my team lol... Gotta get all the points possible to compete with u and the fellow central teams hahah

Sometimes I get the distinct impression that you are unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy, and regularly equate the two.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Please explain what makes him better than Etem.

Haven't seen enough good out of Etem tbh, he looked sharp at camp but pretty sub par during pre season games imo. He seems like a super nice guy, but just hasn't produced. 

I hope he proves me wrong if he makes the roster... 

Teemu has had injury set backs and got lost in a deep forward red wings line up... Who added the likes of Nielson, vanek and ott during the off season who all appear to be on the starting line up making teemu and Frk expendable... Imo that's some questionable management. Seems like the perfect opportunity for us to cash in. 

Edit : I would give etem a few regular season games. Let's Gaunce and virt go to Utica for a little while. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Haven't seen enough good out of Etem tbh,

what have you seen of Pulkkinen aside from your "google scouting and hockeysfuture" though?

there is absolutely nothing to indicate at this point that Pulkkinen has a better shot of being an NHL asset than Etem does.

on the other hand, Etem has a handful of advantages over a relatively small, slow, one-dimensional boom or bust player like Pulkkinen.

keep Etem and show some appreciation for our own assets (something a flaming homer should be able to relate to).

I'm pretty sure we won't, but we definitely should pick him up. Damn that would make my day. We could be getting him with how low we finished last year. You can of course quote me on it and laugh at me afterwards, but Pulkkinen will be claimed by one of the teams in the league, he won't make it to Grand Rapids. Someone will at least take a chance on him.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Teemu has had injury set backs and got lost in a deep forward red wings line up... Who added the likes of Nielson, vanek and ott during the off season who all appear to be on the starting line up making teemu and Frk expendable... Imo that's some questionable management.

so, in your opinion, it's 'questionable management' to add proven, 50 pt NHL players as opposed to gifting spots to unproven, 23 and 24 yr old bubble players?

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sometimes I get the distinct impression that you are unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy, and regularly equate the two.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. The only way this will be a problem in the future is if the Canucks actually do claim Pulkkinen.

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

CLAIM HIM GMJB

You'd think he'd jump at the chance if he's still available at the third spot for us. 

While he had surgery this year, he's skilled as heck, and isn't this what we need more of???

From Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis

Pulkkinen has first-class, high end talent with a very dangerous shot, as it is both heavy and accurate. He also has a very quick release. Pulkkinen has some playmaking skills to go with his scoring ability. He is not the best skater but makes up for it with his ability to hang onto the puck. His defensive awareness is spotty at times, not uncommon for young players who were dominant scorers at the junior levels. 

Future

Pulkkinen has the offensive game to play professionally and has dominated at the AHL level in his first two seasons in North America. He projects as a future NHL forward who can score consistently providing he continues to develop the supplementary areas of his game.

C'mon JB.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pick him up and then waive him again. He would give the Comets extra scoring, which is never a bad thing. If there are injuries, he can come up for a couple of games to see how badly he wants to be in the NHL. 

The player would be on waivers again for a second time, allowing Detroit to reclaim him - or any other team to claim him, if they didn't have the chance before.

According to the waiver rules, the originating team (Detroit) would get first priority for reclaiming him.

Archived