The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Westworld (HBO)

Toews

It only makes me wonder what will happen in the finale. Evan Rachel Wood said it would blow everyone away. The first 9 episodes have already been amazing.

Although, most of the theories so far on Reddit have already been true, so I'm hoping they throw something else our way. Maybe I should just stay out of the Reddit discussions.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

It only makes me wonder what will happen in the finale. Evan Rachel Wood said it would blow everyone away. The first 9 episodes have already been amazing.

Although, most of the theories so far on Reddit have already been true, so I'm hoping they throw something else our way. Maybe I should just stay out of the Reddit discussions.

One of the reasons I really appreciate the show is that you can figure it out if you think about it.  It's not doing some Lost-esque BS where the writers pull new plot twists out of their asses every week.  It's logically consistent and well thought-out with a pervading theme.  I was expecting Bernard to be a host for a couple of episodes and once it was confirmed, it wasn't long before they were hinting at him being Arnold.

Potential spoiler: Wyatt will most definitely end up being an established character.  Currently my only uncertainty is whether it's Dolores or Maeve.  Dolores has the connection to Teddy and detailed memories of the town of the massacre with the white church.  Maeve has developed the ability to control a host akin to what Wyatt used to make Teddy help his slaughter.  I give slightly higher odds to Dolores.

1 minute ago, SamJamIam said:

One of the reasons I really appreciate the show is that you can figure it out if you think about it.  It's not doing some Lost-esque BS where the writers pull new plot twists out of their asses every week.  It's logically consistent and well thought-out with a pervading theme.  I was expecting Bernard to be a host for a couple of episodes and once it was confirmed, it wasn't long before they were hinting at him being Arnold.

Potential spoiler: Wyatt will most definitely end up being an established character.  Currently my only uncertainty is whether it's Dolores or Maeve.  Dolores has the connection to Teddy and detailed memories of the town of the massacre with the white church.  Maeve has developed the ability to control a host akin to what Wyatt used to make Teddy help his slaughter.  I give slightly higher odds to Dolores.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Wyatt is probably Delores. MiB is probably William? Spoilers, I guess. But not really, because these are theories. :P

3 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Wyatt is probably Delores. MiB is probably William? Spoilers, I guess. But not really, because these are theories. :P

There is definitely going to be a big reveal around William.  Did you notice that the picture of Logan's sister/his fiancee is the same picture shown to Dolores' (first) dad at the start of the show that broke him?  I expect Dolores buried it on the property which definitely alludes to 2 parallel stories being told with some significant time in between.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on episode seven, the show has been remarkably unremarkable. I liked the first three episodes, but the last 4 have teetered on and off of interesting. Every time it cuts to Thandi Newton's plot, I zone out completely.

The twists and reveals seem obvious, either because they're telegraphed as hell through obvious hints, or it seems obvious where they're taking the plot.

I swear if it turns out that Jimmi Simpson is the guy in the black hat, and that they treat it like it's supposed to be a surprise, I'm going to be pretty pissed, lol. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not that stupid, because I'm not that smart.

6 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I'm on episode seven, the show has been remarkably unremarkable. I liked the first three episodes, but the last 4 have teetered on and off of interesting. Every time it cuts to Thandi Newton's plot, I zone out completely.

The twists and reveals seem obvious, either because they're telegraphed as hell through obvious hints, or it seems obvious where they're taking the plot.

I swear if it turns out that Jimmi Simpson is the guy in the black hat, and that they treat it like it's supposed to be a surprise, I'm going to be pretty pissed, lol. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not that stupid, because I'm not that smart.

Oh boy.... LOL!

I'm honestly curious what shows people whining about the acting and plot in Westworld watch otherwise. It's far better than almost every show on right now in both those regards.

And oh yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "just on episode 7, guys" figured it all out before everyone else did. Either you're lucky or lying to sound clever, and I strongly suspect the latter.

43 minutes ago, Moonshinefe said:

I'm honestly curious what shows people whining about the acting and plot in Westworld watch otherwise. It's far better than almost every show on right now in both those regards.

And oh yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "just on episode 7, guys" figured it all out before everyone else did. Either you're lucky or lying to sound clever, and I strongly suspect the latter.

Personally I don't compare shows when it comes to acting.  You're either watching a particular show for what it's worth or not.

hopkins is pretty good in this but he's been an actor for 500 years.

the rest are extremely average.  Westworld could have been much better with some stonger performances.  Imo, any scenes and acting during the "Westworld" environment are borderline cheap.

i had high hopes for this show.  I still haven't watched the final and in no rush.

for the sake of comparison, the night of and GOT takes a huge dump on this show in all areas.

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Personally I don't compare shows when it comes to acting.  You're either watching a particular show for what it's worth or not.

hopkins is pretty good in this but he's been an actor for 500 years.

the rest are extremely average.  Westworld could have been much better with some stonger performances.  Imo, any scenes and acting during the "Westworld" environment are borderline cheap.

i had high hopes for this show.  I still haven't watched the final and in no rush.

for the sake of comparison, the night of and GOT takes a huge dump on this show in all areas.

The fact that the next episode isn't until 2018 hurts this show even more. what bugs me about it is the storyline itself. aside from a few twists here and there we knew what directionthis show was headed in. Taking a long ass time to get there though. 

11 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

The fact that the next episode isn't until 2018 hurts this show even more. what bugs me about it is the storyline itself. aside from a few twists here and there we knew what directionthis show was headed in. Taking a long ass time to get there though. 

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Personally I like the fact that the show telegraphs what is going on.  If it doesn't, it's probably not a well thought-out and logically consistent plot.  Generally that happens when writers are busy pulling things out of their asses every other week.

The other thing this series has is a theme, as opposed to just a plot.  There are interesting discussions and implications on what makes humans human and blurs the lines in compelling ways.  Maybe that's just because I know a bit about current research in AI and consciousness and get that they are drawing from very current and heady material but it's certainly well-handled.  If you're tuning out Maeve's story, I suspect none of that particularly appeals to you.

If you watch shows just for the next twist you never saw coming, the best way to do that is to watch a show where even the writing staff don't know where it's headed.  It'll be a garbage show but you'll be surprised! *cough*Lost*cough*  But inevitably they'll leave your mind reeling with inconsistencies from earlier episodes.

13 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

Finished watching the whole thing now.

I wasn't whining, I was criticising. As one does when they watch something, especially one that's trying to make a point that it's saying something.

And no, I wasn't lying about not having completed the show, nor was I lucky. Literally 2 posts above mine, @DollarAndADream came up with the exact same guess. And I likewise had the same assumption he had about "Wyatt". There were some things that came out of nowhere, but most things felt laid out. It wouldn't be too much of a detriment, or even a bad thing at all, if they weren't trying to be so clever about everything. There were so many things beyond these two points that were easy to guess, because they painted things so hard that there was only one option.

The way they handled telling two stories in two different time frames was pretty weak, barely a rung above a show like Quantico manages (not in a similar manner, but of a similar low quality).

The acting by a lot of the cast really was top notch though. Evan Rachel Wood especially, but there were others, some who excelled on the minimalistic parts of literally being a robot. I think that kept me more invested than the plot or storytelling. That plus the manner in which it was framed and shot, which were excellent. 

The only actor who kept taking me out of the show was Thandi Newton, and if they had someone do her role better, I would have been more into her character's arc as well.

It think it ended the way it needed to, but it being such a wholesale change might turn me off of actually following up on it when season 2 comes around. Or maybe it will make me more interested in a show that my interest has waned in. Can't say without watching it.

5 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Personally I like the fact that the show telegraphs what is going on.  If it doesn't, it's probably not a well thought-out and logically consistent plot.  Generally that happens when writers are busy pulling things out of their asses every other week.

The other thing this series has is a theme, as opposed to just a plot.  There are interesting discussions and implications on what makes humans human and blurs the lines in compelling ways.  Maybe that's just because I know a bit about current research in AI and consciousness and get that they are drawing from very current and heady material but it's certainly well-handled.  If you're tuning out Maeve's story, I suspect none of that particularly appeals to you.

If you watch shows just for the next twist you never saw coming, the best way to do that is to watch a show where even the writing staff don't know where it's headed.  It'll be a garbage show but you'll be surprised! *cough*Lost*cough*  But inevitably they'll leave your mind reeling with inconsistencies from earlier episodes.

I like what the show is trying to say. It is what it should be saying, given the world and it's material. It just didn't say it too well. It's logical, but like I said earlier, it being telegraphed is a bad thing when it's trying to generate suspense from twists that aren't twists. If it's following a simple path, it should be told as such.

I think it's a good show, just not a great one. Worth watching in comparison to what's out there, but I expected a lot more. And given the subject material, the talent, and the budget at their disposal it should have been more, in my eyes.

I'm pretty bumped that we have to wait until 2018 for the next season. 

The paper that had Maeve's daughter's location said Park 1, so I'm curious to see if we'll see other "world's" that are not western themed. It would be awesome to see some kind of Japanese Samurai world as we saw in the background of some scenes. 

Archived