The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Oldest Top Line in the League

Makaramel MacKhiato

TSN just released an article that shows the top lines for all 30 teams in hockey, stating the 3 players that make up the top line, and the average age between them. It's worth noting that the Canucks top line of Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson is the oldest in the league by a landslide, averaging 34.3 years in age. 

The next highest was actually Anaheim's 2nd line (1A) consisting of Raymond, Vermette, and Perry, who average 32 years of age.

The youngest top line in the NHL is Buffalo's, consisting of Kane, Eichel and Reinhart, averaging 21.7 years of age. 

Overall, the average age for a top line in the entire league is 27.3 years of age, which is expected for a top line. 7 teams containing a top line of players with an average age of 25 or less.

Although some teams do have a young player slotted into their top line (ex. Granlund with Koivu and Pominville, or Hertl with Thorton and Pavelski), do you think it's concerning that our team has the highest average aged top line of any team? Could this be the reason that so many speculate that we will end up being last in the league? Are you concerned that we currently do not have an option of a young player to slot into our top line like many other ageing teams? Are we putting too much pressure on the Sedin's, at their age, to continue to perform like top players, unlike other teams that have begun slotting their veterans into 2nd or 3rd line roles?

Obviously teams will start moving around their lineups, which will raise or lower the average age of the top line, but with the season upon us, the Canucks' best 3 have a load to carry, and maybe don't have the knees to carry it. 

TSN Top 30 lines article

I don't see why it matters. 

Would you rather

Granlund koivu pominville

OR

sedin sedin eriksson

Hoffman Turrris stone

Or

Pavelski Thornton hertl

I don't care about having younger players. Tsn is all about it right now because Toronto is a newborn dumpster fire. I want better players. So no there is no correlation between age and quality.

Also how is Torontos second line a 1a but Tampa bays isn't? Torontos first line is hardly a 1.

Goooood damnit I hate TSN. They dont even air any nhl games.

18 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Would you rather

OR

sedin sedin eriksson

Hoffman Turrris stone

Or

Pavelski Thornton hertl

I don't care about having younger players. Tsn is all about it right now because Toronto is a newborn dumpster fire. I want better players. So no there is no correlation between age and quality.

Also how is Torontos second line a 1a but Tampa bays isn't? Torontos first line is hardly a 1.

Actually, they do air games but nowhere west of Winnipeg. That might explain their eastern bias.

21 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Would you rather

OR

sedin sedin eriksson

Hoffman Turrris stone

Or

Pavelski Thornton hertl

1A just means its unclear which of those two lines is the top line. Columbus also got a 1A and both their lines aren't 1st line caliber either especially with Sam Gagner there lol.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Nope. This is the TSN3 Winnipeg game tomorrow.

8:00 PMJets Hockey on TSN: Hurricanes vs. Jets

K so yeah. Just like I said. An overflow game. 1 game this entire week...

Regardless. They lost the bid for hockey is what I'm getting at. 

41 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Would you rather

OR

sedin sedin eriksson

Hoffman Turrris stone

Or

Pavelski Thornton hertl

"Toronto is a newborn dumpster fire"......this could be my nomination for quote of the year +1.  How come the press can't be as creative as you?  :bigblush:

Seriously, didn't you hear?  Austin Matthews shot is so hard, he breaks panes of glass behind the nets!!  I don't know about you but that has me scared.  Goalies everywhere should be freakin out!

Age matters, results don't.....wait?

21 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

K so yeah. Just like I said. An overflow game. 1 game this entire week...

Regardless. They lost the bid for hockey is what I'm getting at. 

I think it is more than overflow.

Canada's favourite pastime makes itself at home on TSN's various viewing platforms, with comprehensive regional coverage of the Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs.

All games are available regionally in High Definition.

James Duthie is the host of TSN's Senators and Maple Leafs coverage, alongside Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun and analyst Jeff O'Neill.

For the network's extensive game coverage of the Senators and Maple Leafs, TSN features award-winning play-by-play announcers Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert and industry-leading game analyst Ray Ferraro.

TSN's Jets coverage features play-by-play commentary by veteran broadcaster and Manitoba native Dennis Beyak. Colour commentary duties are shared by Brian Engblom and Shane Hnidy.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

I think it is more than overflow.

Canada's favourite pastime makes itself at home on TSN's various viewing platforms, with comprehensive regional coverage of the Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs.

All games are available regionally in High Definition.

James Duthie is the host of TSN's Senators and Maple Leafs coverage, alongside Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun and analyst Jeff O'Neill.

For the network's extensive game coverage of the Senators and Maple Leafs, TSN features award-winning play-by-play announcers Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert and industry-leading game analyst Ray Ferraro.

TSN's Jets coverage features play-by-play commentary by veteran broadcaster and Manitoba native Dennis Beyak. Colour commentary duties are shared by Brian Engblom and Shane Hnidy.

You're just totally missing the point man.

Archived