The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gong Show returning to tv.

ShakyWalton

Crazy show when Chuck Barris was the host/producer.....dont know how whitewashed this new version will be.....there wont be any Unknown Comic or Gene Gene the Dancing Machine...

ABC’s had good luck bringing back old-school game shows like "Match Game" and "$100,000 Pyramid."

Now the network is reviving the "The Gong Show."

“ABC has tapped into the nostalgia and excitement of prime-time game shows,” said Rob Mills, senior vice president, Alternative Series, Specials & Late-Night Programming for the network. “We are thrilled to add ‘The Gong Show’ to ABC’s schedule spearheaded by the incomparable Will Arnett.”

"LEGO Movie" and former "Arrested Development" star Arnett is producing the update. The series, which ran from 1976-78 on NBC, and in syndication from 1976 to 1980, had performers of various levels of talent doing their thing for a panel of judges, who could bang a gong to give them the hook if things got too bad.

Unlike in the show's previous iteration, the internet will the source from which producers will find talent.

"The comedy culture we are living in has finally caught up to ‘The Gong Show,’ so the timing is perfect," said Holly Jacobs, executive vice president, Reality and Syndication Programming for Sony Pictures Television. "We've found just the right partners to bring back this iconic original."

An earlier attempt to bring the show back in 1988 was short-lived.

Wonderful..let's just transport back to the 70's instead. Forget what we became.

Convince Skalbania to somehow keep gretz in 'Couver.

Insist Ronnie Raygun don't touch them f*ckin solar panels.

Recreate the 80's, minus the false glitz. Pay more homage to the 60's & 70's.

Get along with the Russkies.

Listen to Paul Ehrlich, regarding population control.

Tell Lennon to keep relaxing at home a few more yrs(more reclusive man!)

Insist Chernobyl staff conduct tests Carefully!

Listen to artists & cultural influences, not politicians...

"There is no future. Only the past, happening over & over again. Happening now."

-Eugene O'Neill

Fond memories of the gong show,

When I was a traveling musician in the 80's, my "go to" Halloween costume every year was the unknown comic. I'd just hit the local Sally Ann in whatever town we were in, buy some too small pants and a too small jacket....add a paper bag with some holes for the eyes and I was all set.

The next day, I'd just take the stuff back to the SA and re-donate it.:)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Fond memories of the gong show,

When I was a traveling musician in the 80's, my "go to" Halloween costume every year was the unknown comic. I'd just hit the local Sally Ann in whatever town we were in, buy some too small pants and a too small jacket....add a paper bag with some holes for the eyes and I was all set.

The next day, I'd just take the stuff back to the SA and re-donate it.:)

Good old Murray Langston....Canadian guy......

murray_zpshrwjmxwy.png

Archived