The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Dylan, Nobel Laureate

Nuxfanabroad

Used to hate Dylan, now I love him. Still think the Nobel Prize is a complete bore even if this was a shocking move. Of all the literary awards, I probably care about its winners the least. In part because its winners are rarely easily accessible (pre-win) to English readers, but also because the Nobel committee loves fables and poetry, two forms of literature I just really don't care that much about

Anyway, I get why this pick is controversial, but at the same time I sort of love it. Personally, i think Love Minus Zero/No Limit probably has my favourite lyrics of all time. It's Alright Ma speaks to me on a super weird level. Broadly, I cannot think of a single lyricst, past or present, who does what Dylan did/does. I can think of many who try, though. 

I wonder if this award was given because of a recent critical reconsideration of the great icons of the 60s, 70s, etc. as they continue to die off. This is probably a stretch, but after so many legendary figures died this year (Bowie, Prince, etc.), this could be an attempt at one last hurrah for someone who is on his last leg. None more deserving than Dylan, IMO.

Very similarly, the New Yorker just published a long article about Leonard Cohen (who says he's "ready to die") recently. Can't imagine it will interest many here, but: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/17/leonard-cohen-makes-it-darker -- these freakishly talented artists ("literary" as they are, or aren't) are on their way out, and that sorta bums me out.

speaking of the New Yorker, David Remnick (its editor, and the author of the above-linked article, and someone who is pleased about Dylan's win) is doubling-down on his pleasure. Next week's issue cover has already been released, and it's rather cool

Coverstory-Favre-TheLaureate-1200.jpg

6 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Used to hate Dylan, now I love him. Still think the Nobel Prize is a complete bore even if this was a shocking move. Of all the literary awards, I probably care about its winners the least. In part because its winners are rarely easily accessible (pre-win) to English readers, but also because the Nobel committee loves fables and poetry, two forms of literature I just really don't care that much about

Anyway, I get why this pick is controversial, but at the same time I sort of love it. Personally, i think Love Minus Zero/No Limit probably has my favourite lyrics of all time. It's Alright Ma speaks to me on a super weird level. Broadly, I cannot think of a single lyricst, past or present, who does what Dylan did/does. I can think of many who try, though. 

I wonder if this award was given because of a recent critical reconsideration of the great icons of the 60s, 70s, etc. as they continue to die off. This is probably a stretch, but after so many legendary figures died this year (Bowie, Prince, etc.), this could be an attempt at one last hurrah for someone who is on his last leg. None more deserving than Dylan, IMO.

Very similarly, the New Yorker just published a long article about Leonard Cohen (who says he's "ready to die") recently. Can't imagine it will interest many here, but: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/17/leonard-cohen-makes-it-darker -- these freakishly talented artists ("literary" as they are, or aren't) are on their way out, and that sorta bums me out.

I don't love Dylan yet.

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Thanks GJ..gonna check out that article tomorrow, for a leisurely read.

Agree with many literary types, choosing Dylan is a bit of a jaw-dropper. Yet that in itself, sort of represents how BD has reinvented his art(repeatedly) over 5 decades.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I don't love Dylan yet.

It'll grow on you Riff. Tonite was listening to some, 'Blood On The Tracks', & reflecting. My late sister loved Dylan. Discussed his tunes with so people many over the yrs...

"I been shooting in the dark too long, when somethin's not right - it's wrong! Yer gonna' make me lonesome when you go."

Or the capricious, new-found lover. Who leaves the motel early:

"& a light burst thru the beat-up shade/She was walkin' on by the arcade/As he was wakin' up/She dropped a coin into the cup, above a blind man at the gate/

Blame it on a simple twist of fate."

Who hasn't felt such one-way imagery, if a love is half-assed? Simply f*ckin brilliant.

I've found so many traces/snippets of Dylan lyrics portray what almost anyone(who's lived, a bit) must have felt, at one time or another.

Listen sometime to the brilliance of 'Blonde On Blonde'. Can't believe something like this could be written by a guy in his mid-20's. There's so much to discover with Bob D.

16 hours ago, riffraff said:

I don't love Dylan yet.

That's okay. You only have about 55 years to catch up on. <grin>

Start with: Everything is Broken. Also, highly recommend The Essential Bob Dylan, a 36 song compilation CD (don't know where to stream it) from 2001, on Sony. 

You can find The Essential Bob Dylan on YouTube

21 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It'll grow on you Riff. Tonite was listening to some, 'Blood On The Tracks', & reflecting. My late sister loved Dylan. Discussed his tunes with so people many over the yrs...

"I been shooting in the dark too long, when somethin's not right - it's wrong! Yer gonna' make me lonesome when you go."

Or the capricious, new-found lover. Who leaves the motel early:

"& a light burst thru the beat-up shade/She was walkin' on by the arcade/As he was wakin' up/She dropped a coin into the cup, above a blind man at the gate/

Blame it on a simple twist of fate."

Who hasn't felt such one-way imagery, if a love is half-assed? Simply f*ckin brilliant.

I've found so many traces/snippets of Dylan lyrics portray what almost anyone(who's lived, a bit) must have felt, at one time or another.

Listen sometime to the brilliance of 'Blonde On Blonde'. Can't believe something like this could be written by a guy in his mid-20's. There's so much to discover with Bob D.

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

That's okay. You only have about 55 years to catch up on. <grin>

Start with: Everything is Broken. Also, highly recommend The Essential Bob Dylan, a 36 song compilation CD (don't know where to stream it) from 2001, on Sony. 

You can find The Essential Bob Dylan on YouTube

All I own is the "freewheelin' bob Dylan" album on vinyl.

a lot of the music I listen too has lyrics as the strength, at the forefront and the foundation for the songs.  

I certanly recognize dylans talents with lyrics and obviously there is quite a discog I'm going to have to delve into.

i guess for me, and it's been years since I tried, it's the delivery I just can't/couldn't get into.  Vocally, he just rubs my ear drums the wrong way.  But if I can get over Geddy Lee to enjoy Rush I suppose I'll have to work with Bob.

and to this day I've never really been into folk music in its purer forms.

On 13/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think it's pretty cool, & deserves mention.

Fav Dylan tune?..That's tough. Maybe, Tangled Up In Blue. 'Blood On The Tracks' is an incredible LP.

Brilliant Dylan cover? I'd recommend Bryan Ferry's tribute CD, 'Dylanesque'. His versions are superb.

Blowin in the wind.

Archived