The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Will Boeser sign with us next year?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, cripplereh said:

cause someone doesn't keep up on Benning interviews I guess :D

Although Benning seemed pleased with Forsling’s development when he was on Canucks Lunch a few weeks ago, the addition of Clendening fast tracks another NHL-quality player into the lineup  hmmm?

Does Canucks general manager Jim Benning regret the trade?

“Well, no, I drafted him, I saw him lots in his draft year. I knew he was a good player,” Benning said Thursday on TSN 1040 radio. “He’s a skilled player and he’s got an excellent shot.

“You know, where we were at when we made the deal, our guys believed in Adam Clendening and so we made the deal to give him a chance. That didn’t work out, but I move on. We’ve got Troy Stecher, and that’s a similar type player. He’s going to be a real good player for us moving forward.”

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman certainly likes how the now 20-year blue liner has developed for Chicago.

The team added another two years to the......what ever they are doing.

Shal we get some Vey or Etem quotes going? Or how about some Vrbata and Hamhuis ones. Come on lots of stuff here to dispute apart from selling a player not even signed with the team.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Although Benning seemed pleased with Forsling’s development when he was on Canucks Lunch a few weeks ago, the addition of Clendening fast tracks another NHL-quality player into the lineup  hmmm?

Does Canucks general manager Jim Benning regret the trade?

“Well, no, I drafted him, I saw him lots in his draft year. I knew he was a good player,” Benning said Thursday on TSN 1040 radio. “He’s a skilled player and he’s got an excellent shot.

“You know, where we were at when we made the deal, our guys believed in Adam Clendening and so we made the deal to give him a chance. That didn’t work out, but I move on. We’ve got Troy Stecher, and that’s a similar type player. He’s going to be a real good player for us moving forward.”

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman certainly likes how the now 20-year blue liner has developed for Chicago.

The team added another two years to the......what ever they are doing.

Shal we get some Vey or Etem quotes going? Or how about some Vrbata and Hamhuis ones. Come on lots of stuff here to dispute apart from selling a player not even signed with the team.

I read mayyyybe the first line and then i became really confused. Is it even possible to get a -104 reputation?? How does one do this?? 

On 10/13/2016 at 10:01 PM, Strombone said:

Why would he delay getting guaranteed money in terms of an entry-level NHL contract of almost a million dollars per year for 3 years? That's not including bonuses.

I'm finally starting to get over my surprise at how so many people under value education, the ability to play mostly weekend games and all the extra time to practice ans get stronger.

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm finally starting to get over my surprise at how so many people under value education, the ability to play mostly weekend games and all the extra time to practice ans get stronger.

Even if the kid didn't know he's a good player and was just doing this hockey thing to get a free education, he'd have to really love his chosen field to give up the contract that he will be offered. Say he decided to give up 1 million dollars to go back to school as a junior, or give up 2 million dollars to become a senior and get a degree in engineering, he would still need to work for 10 years at 200k to make that money, and that's assuming he's a rocket scientist or something. Jimmy Vesey got 925k after his senior year so why would BB wait for that? 

And then why wouldn't he go back to school as a millionaire and live comfortably if he was so interested in that education? Why does it matter in which years of his life he gets the education? I'd take the money and the charter jets and the chance to live my hockey dream and go to school later. 

I just can't see a reasonable argument to that scenario. 

10 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Even if the kid didn't know he's a good player and was just doing this hockey thing to get a free education, he'd have to really love his chosen field to give up the contract that he will be offered. Say he decided to give up 1 million dollars to go back to school as a junior, or give up 2 million dollars to become a senior and get a degree in engineering, he would still need to work for 10 years at 200k to make that money, and that's assuming he's a rocket scientist or something. Jimmy Vesey got 925k after his senior year so why would BB wait for that? 

And then why wouldn't he go back to school as a millionaire and live comfortably if he was so interested in that education? Why does it matter in which years of his life he gets the education? I'd take the money and the charter jets and the chance to live my hockey dream and go to school later. 

I just can't see a reasonable argument to that scenario. 

You mention million dollar contracts- how much money is Stecher making in the AHL? How long will it be before he makes the team? How many players get injured before they make the nhl? How many players last more than 1 year in the league.?

IF I had a choice between a college education or  possibly turning pro-I'd chose the education first. Then add in the fact that spending time playing in college gives the opportunity for extra practice and strength training-to increase the chances and getting a job and sticking in the nhl. This is win.win for Brock -and for the Canucks.

15 hours ago, KKnight said:

I read mayyyybe the first line and then i became really confused. Is it even possible to get a -104 reputation?? How does one do this?? 

You simply comment on the concept of trading the Sedins before their contracts are up to help speed up getting their replacements and the re-signing them to finish their careers here, mentor the new, young stars and help the team to be a contender. This trade deadline if the team is out of the playoff position.

Comments like that get all the people employed by the Nucks ridiculing the concept. Just an idea to get more than TO did with Sundin or Calgary did for Iginla or Kiprusoff.

The real rub was comments made by the Sedins with regards to trading as part of the business, and other comments they have made in the last couple of years.

18 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You simply comment on the concept of trading the Sedins before their contracts are up to help speed up getting their replacements and the re-signing them to finish their careers here, mentor the new, young stars and help the team to be a contender. This trade deadline if the team is out of the playoff position.

Comments like that get all the people employed by the Nucks ridiculing the concept. Just an idea to get more than TO did with Sundin or Calgary did for Iginla or Kiprusoff.

The real rub was comments made by the Sedins with regards to trading as part of the business, and other comments they have made in the last couple of years.

Sundin refused to waive his ntc. Kiprusoff said he wouldn't report to another team if traded. Iginla gave Calgary two trade options which rather limits the options of a return.

Other Sedin comments like wanting to stay in Vancouver? How about Bennings comment that as long as he's GM the Sedins won't be asked to waive their NTC's?

Your problem is you ignore far too much that goes on.

14 hours ago, gurn said:

You mention million dollar contracts- how much money is Stecher making in the AHL? How long will it be before he makes the team? How many players get injured before they make the nhl? How many players last more than 1 year in the league.?

IF I had a choice between a college education or  possibly turning pro-I'd chose the education first. Then add in the fact that spending time playing in college gives the opportunity for extra practice and strength training-to increase the chances and getting a job and sticking in the nhl. This is win.win for Brock -and for the Canucks.

Gotta go with @canuckledraggin here.

What if you decide to stay in college and (as you pointed out) suffer a career ending injury? You are out millions of dollars without that gauranteed contract and huge signing bonus. 

Your education can be finished at any time in your life, anyone at any age can get a degree through hard work and time. Not everyone can play professional hockey and the window is small for those who can (as you pointed out).

50 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Gotta go with @canuckledraggin here.

What if you decide to stay in college and (as you pointed out) suffer a career ending injury? You are out millions of dollars without that gauranteed contract and huge signing bonus. 

Your education can be finished at any time in your life, anyone at any age can get a degree through hard work and time. Not everyone can play professional hockey and the window is small for those who can (as you pointed out).

You only make millions of dollars if you make the team- and play a few years. Stecher is currently making nowhere near a milion a year.

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yep, and if he was in the nhl he would be making that money- but as I said- he is not in the nhl- but thanks for showing he is making $70,000 in the AHL-Which to me is nowhere near a million.

Not arguing.  But I don't see any reason he won't start in the NHL next year.

Still unsure of how that scales should he get called up long term though.  Needless to say it's crazy how much $$$ these kids are making.

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not arguing.  But I don't see any reason he won't start in the NHL next year.

Still unsure of how that scales should he get called up long term though.  Needless to say it's crazy how much $$$ these kids are making.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned Stecher should have been on the team for game 1 this season. Played better than Larsen, Tramkin, and maybe Sbisa- thou Sbisa didn't get that many games due to that joke of "international" tourney.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Hey, as far as I'm concerned Stecher should have been on the team for game 1 this season. Played better than Larsen, Tramkin, and maybe Sbisa- thou Sbisa didn't get that many games due to that joke of "international" tourney.

I'm still ok with him in the AHL

The NCAA is a solid development area, but it doesn't have that game in game out hard hitting fighting for your career every shift attitude that the AHL/NHL has.  He'll do just fine down there

Archived