The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Season Opener Celebration

SilentSam

Hats off to one of the Establishing teams of the NHL.

They have corrected, or tried to correct the wrong that Harold Ballard established by not recognizing this teams great history through its outstanding players from past to present.

Dave Keon is truly iconic to the Leafs.

was just catching the re-cap this morning on SN.. Looks like they should have hired some professional riggers for their banner drops ... I saw at least 4 get hung up badly ... Maybe Ballard still lives in the rafters :ph34r:

It was impressive.  I hope they retire so many numbers they can't ice a team.  B)

My friend is a rabid in your face Leafs fan and that would be a better alternative than me wanting to choke him for six months of the year.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

bahaha, ya. It had that awkward feeling. The whole marketing thing. All of it. It was too much. Poor audience enduring that.

Just seemed so... Albertan.

Opening night trash aside those poor bastards finally got a spiffy new rink though. 

@SilentSam Keon is totally a Leaf icon. He was my Dad's favourite Leaf player and I'd have liked to watch him play.

The Leafs only had 2 numbers officially retired prior to last night and yet they were the first North American professional sports team to retire a jersey. In 1934 they retired Ace Bailey's #6 after he suffered a fractured skull on a dirty hit from the legendary Eddie Shore. Bailey never played another game in the NHL and was eventually forced out of his Maple Leaf timekeeper job by none other than Harold Ballard. The other number retired by the Leafs was #5 and it was in honour of Bill Barilko who passed away in a plane crash.

Some of you may remember Ron Ellis wearing #6 for the Leafs but he only wore that number at the request of Ace Bailey.

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Opening night trash aside those poor bastards finally got a spiffy new rink though. 

@SilentSam Keon is totally a Leaf icon. He was my Dad's favourite Leaf player and I'd have liked to watch him play.

GB, I was a kid watching Keon, a great leader  any club would have sought after.. If only the Leaf Organization had of paid there respect to these players at an earlier time, some, like Keon and King Clancy, would clearly be worldly ambassadors to the sport, as have the likes of Gordie Howe, Jean Beleveau, and others.

Sad and somewhat disappointed to see family members have to sit in for an era gone by, and a player desceased ...  But happy that the respect is noted.

All the wrong that happened with that lack of respect will never be corrected..  but the attempt to rectify it, is noted.

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

GB, I was a kid watching Keon, a great leader  any club would have sought after.. If only the Leaf Organization had of paid there respect to these players at an earlier time, some, like Keon and King Clancy, would clearly be worldly ambassadors to the sport, as have the likes of Gordie Howe, Jean Beleveau, and others.

Sad and somewhat to see family members have to sit in for an era gone by, and a player desceased ...  But happy that the respect is noted.

All the wrong that happened with that lack of respect will never be corrected..  but the attempt to rectify it, is noted.

Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far, the Leafs have never retired numbers have they? It isn't like not having their numbers retired disallowed them from being ambassadors of the sport. I mean I never watched a single shift of Keon's and I`d still consider him a household name in any Canadian market, possibly some American ones as well. 

Players knew numbers were honoured and not retired in Toronto so there were no surprises, except to JVR who suddenly has to change his jersey because of Salming. The right thing to do would be let him finish his tenure there and not allow anyone else to wear it after. I think that's the worse offense than being upfront about honouring over retiring all along.

Oh well, doesn't really matter to me anyways. After all, I'm a Canucks fan, but as a sports fan that's my $0.02.

27 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sad and somewhat to see family members have to sit in for an era gone by, and a player desceased ...  But happy that the respect is noted.

Obviously everyone knows Ballard as one of the most destructive owners in history but Conn Smythe's accomplishments overshadow the fact that he was notorious for mistreating players. The Leafs as an organization throughout history are quite likely the scummiest in all of pro-sports.

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

Obviously everyone knows Ballard as one of the most destructive owners in history but Conn Smythe's accomplishments overshadow the fact that he was notorious for mistreating players. The Leafs as an organization throughout history are quite likely the scummiest in all of pro-sports.

There is a lot of competition for being the "scummiest in all of sports" from back in the days when players in all sports had absolutely no rights at all. Hockey and baseball owners treated their players like dirt. Hell, even horse racing jockeys were just dragged off the track and left there after they suffered serious spills.

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

Obviously everyone knows Ballard as one of the most destructive owners in pro-sports history but Conn Smythe's accomplishments overshadow the fact that he was notorious for mistreating players. The Leafs as an organization throughout history are quite likely the scummiest in all of pro-sports.

25 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far, the Leafs have never retired numbers have they? It isn't like not having their numbers retired disallowed them from being ambassadors of the sport. I mean I never watched a single shift of Keon's and I`d still consider him a household name in any Canadian market, possibly some American ones as well. 

Players knew numbers were honoured and not retired in Toronto so there were no surprises, except to JVR who suddenly has to change his jersey because of Salming. The right thing to do would be let him finish his tenure there and not allow anyone else to wear it after. I think that's the worse offense than being upfront about honouring over retiring all along.

Oh well, doesn't really matter to me anyways. After all, I'm a Canucks fan, but as a sports fan that's my $0.02.

True .. Ballard would NOT allow players to be more important than the Franchise..   

Im surprised that the great name and life of Conn Smythe was not re-celebrated last night with every one else.

A true Canadian Hero.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Smythe#Early_years

Archived