The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Were you happy with the Canucks effort last Night? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you think the Canucks played like a playoff team last Night?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me, they looked pretty rough overall. They were dominant in the first 5-10 minutes, but Calgary took over after that. In the third we picked it up a bit. Overall not the kind of play that would beat good teams.

For future reference, this kind of thread would be better suited to the PGT: 

42 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

They didn't play like a playoff team, but I think everyone did play hard. 

I think it appeared that some players like Baertschi were floating, but I blame that on the lines. 

He's a professional athlete.  The line he is on shouldn't affect his compete level (maybe it will affect his effectiveness but it shouldn't make any difference to his effort level).  I'm getting tired of people blaming the coach for everything (yeah I know Willie is the current CDC whipping boy but considering his job is to win hockey games, and he has a 100% win percentage so far, it is HUGELY premature to be blaming the coach).  I can't think of any other sports fan base that wants to push the coach under the bus before any games have been played and then blame the coach for a player's lack of effort.  GCG!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Basically,the Flames had played their 3rd game in 4 nights, against a well rested Canuck team. We're you happy with our Effort?  Were you Entertained?  I personally felt it was a boring game, and it made me question whether the rest of the world is not right.

Whether it is our line combinations, first line age, or over all talent level as compared to the rest of the league, or just bad coaching, it will be a long season if not figured out. 

At the end of the day, there is a lot of NHL associated people/agencies that has us ranked lower than what we think in our talent/final league standings.

We were lucky last night, to get one shift we dominated...1 shift against a very tired hockey team. Luckily we are playing a couple of lesser teams to start of against....

Considering the LAMES had already played two games, and had their game legs, I thought once our guys got going we were BY FAR the MUCH BETTER and FAR SUPERIOR team.  :towel:

Shouldn't this be a part of the PGT?  Anyways I'll bite.

The Sedins looked frightful for most of the game.  They blatantly just passed the puck away to the other team at least twice. They were bad in their own zone, and couldn't manage anything in the O zone. That line also looked so much slower without a speedy winger like Burrows or Hansen to rush ahead and fight for possession.

But I guess they shook the rust off in the third with the Shift.

Overall I like that they seem to play more physical as a team concept. Previous seasons it seems like they just thought having a Dorsett and/or Sbisa in the lineup took care of that quota. There seems to be more of a buying in of not just stopping the play once in awhile and getting into a fight to try and get energy, but that we don't even need to fight much if the whole team plays with more of an edge. With more players of that kind of caliber, the softer players become the minority and even then the toughness rubs off on them. For too long Vancouver has had more soft players than "stiff" players. Now its shifting the other way. I like that.

I was at the game & I thought the guys played hard. This negativety is short sighted I think.

The defence was great, all 6 guys were making plays with the puck & making things happen. And for the most part they were all good defensively. Even Luca Sbisa had a good game.

Its a young team, Desjardins comment this morning about looking like a team that 'thought about it all day then had no energy for the game' was perfect.

And it makes sense, this is a young team, a lot of guys coming into roles & situations they aren't used to or haven't been in before. It's ridiculous to expect them to be a playoff team on night 1.

But they fought against the grain and played hard the whole game, even those they weren't quite in the groove they played hard & played well didn't give the Flames a lot, forechecked hard. And everyone I thought showed something at some point in the night. 

The effort was there, it was a winning effort. And that's what u want out of a young team starting a season like this.

i think it's a great sign and a great start, it will come & with a work ethic like this we have potential to surprise.

It wasn't a good game in mid-February, but for day 1 in October it was a good effort. 

28 minutes ago, BigOldOrca said:

Tell you guys the truth.  I have watched 5 games this year all different teams and yet to see a playoff team play yet.  Its just started be patient.

Totally agree, the thing that caught my eye was the team's overall structure...much improved from last year. The passing, shooting, etc will come but this team will go no where if they play loose and unorganized like last year. Good start IMHO, hopefully the keep it up.

Too soon to tell.

Defence was great. Goaltending was great. Other than some individual efforts from Gaudreau, they barely generated any chances. In fact, they scored 0 goals, including in the shootout. But as you said, Flames are a tired team, having played 3 games in 4 nights.

Offence was bad. We didn't generate many chances either. With this offence, we are not making the playoffs. But as others have said, it's the first game. Too soon to tell.

Archived