The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Were you happy with the Canucks effort last Night? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you think the Canucks played like a playoff team last Night?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Davathor said:

Happy with a shootout win against a team playing 3rd in 4 nights? 

Miller was only reason we won that game, needs to be stepped up to play in this league

Miller made the best "door" impression that i've seen in awhile, if team defence improves consistantly with him or Strom playing that good in goal then i think we could make the playoffs no problem even if secondary scoring is even a bit better than last year and i see that even more when Rodin gets back but in the meantime team D needs to be addressed in spades so we can get there.

We played ok last night but positionally we need to get better and stay better if we have a hope.

The team played poorly considering they were playing a most likely non playoff team that was very tired.

Miller played great.  Sedins had a great shift.  It was enough to beat the Flames. 

I think the goaltending will be good and D good enough that the Canucks won't be a basement team.  Lack of scoring will probably keep them from reaching the playoffs.  Most games will probably be boring and defensive.  I liked the physicality from Sbisa/Dorsett and the battle level of Baertschi. 

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Basically,the Flames had played their 3rd game in 4 nights, against a well rested Canuck team. We're you happy with our Effort?  Were you Entertained?  I personally felt it was a boring game, and it made me question whether the rest of the world is not right.

Whether it is our line combinations, first line age, or over all talent level as compared to the rest of the league, or just bad coaching, it will be a long season if not figured out. 

At the end of the day, there is a lot of NHL associated people/agencies that has us ranked lower than what we think in our talent/final league standings.

We were lucky last night, to get one shift we dominated...1 shift against a very tired hockey team. Luckily we are playing a couple of lesser teams to start of against....

Only Canucks fans turn a win into a negative thing.

The difference between the two games was staggering. Against the Flames the Canucks just played very tight, nervous and sloopy until the last few minutes of the game. They carried that lose, fast, and driven pace into the game against the Hurricanes and really looked like a good team all night, despite what the scoreboard said for quite a while.

I can take losing when we play like we did against the Hurricanes, because we did everything in our power to get the win. Luckily for us that effort paid off last night in a crazy comeback from being down 3-0.

If we play like we did against the Flames and lose, that's a tough pill to swallow because for the first 2 periods and 15 minutes there was very little to be excited about. The Canucks looked like the team they were predicted to be by the talking heads instead of by those of us who actually paid attention. Those are the loses I can't stand.

Based on just these past two games, it's clear that our D will be giving us more opportunities to win across 60 minutes. Last season, we probably would have lost the Flames game, or even both. Just seemed like there was more resignation or give up late in games last season. Two back-to-back comebacks this early is good for confidence. Two wins are two wins. 

It's also clear that a healthy Sutter makes a big difference. Our D and Sutter are two huge noticeable differences.

We saw what's possible this year with the Sedins with that amazing goal in the first game. Also, Bo, Hutton, and Granlund were on the score sheet last night as well. 

The fact that we won a shootout this early is a good thing as well. 

I'm happy with the effort so far. All the above were questions marks in the off-season. Only two games in, there are good signs early.

Have to wait and see how we do when truly tested by better teams. We've tended to hang in there or beat better teams but struggle with lesser teams. Hopefully these early signs are indicators of more consistency in that regard.

Just taking it game by game at this point. Want to see them fighting for it each night no matter who we play.

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Based on just these past two games, it's clear that our D will be giving us more opportunities to win across 60 minutes. Last season, we probably would have lost the Flames game, or even both. Just seemed like there was more resignation or give up late in games last season. Two back-to-back comebacks this early is good for confidence. Two wins are two wins. 

It's also clear that a healthy Sutter makes a big difference. Our D and Sutter are two huge noticeable differences.

We saw what's possible this year with the Sedins with that amazing goal in the first game. Also, Bo, Hutton, and Granlund were on the score sheet last night as well. 

The fact that we won a shootout this early is a good thing as well. 

I'm happy with the effort so far. All the above were questions marks in the off-season. Only two games in, there are good signs early.

Have to wait and see how we do when truly tested by better teams. We've tended to hang in there or beat better teams but struggle with lesser teams. Hopefully these early signs are indicators of more consistency in that regard.

Just taking it game by game at this point. Want to see them fighting for it each night no matter who we play.

Next game should be a good test of that.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Next game should be a good test of that.

Exactly. At this point, just on a fundamental level, I don't really care if we have to come back against good teams to win as long as the comeback is there when playing good teams. If that makes any sense. Hopefully we won't have to do that. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. At this point, just on a fundamental level, I don't really care if we have to come back against good teams to win as long as the comeback is there when playing good teams. If that makes any sense. Hopefully we won't have to do that. 

I know what you mean. I like the fact that the team has a new found resolve that is undeniable. They play with purpose.

Hmmmm.....maybe Willie knows what he's doing after all. If I have to eat crow regarding Willie, I gladly will.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know what you mean. I like the fact that the team has a new found resolve that is undeniable. They play with purpose.

Hmmmm.....maybe Willie knows what he's doing after all. If I have to eat crow regarding Willie, I gladly will.

Yeah, just seeing that more depth at D is potentially contributing to that resolve. It's kinda looking like building from the net out is slowly working. Still so early but already noticeable from last year.

With Willie, I'm like, do what you've got to do, man. Mix it up, do whatever you think is right. Sometimes unconventional works. It's either going to work or not. I do like how he adapted quickly with Horvat between both games.

Benning made the team better, so Willie's has to do his part. Comes down to ... Who is Willie as a coach with a better team? We'll see.

Poll question and title of the thread are completely different.

Canucks looked good, probably looked like a bubble team last night. But any injuries to any of our top 4 d or injuries to Bo/Hank will cripple the team.

On 17/10/2016 at 11:53 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, the comeback WAS there last night. Another step forward. ;)

Archived