The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Vancouver Canucks: Veristility, Youth, and Depth

Johnny Torts

15 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

One thing I think is huge is the team has a fight and drive to win, while playing as a team, which was very evident in the 2 first games, I see no individuals playing i see a team playing as one solid unit of supporting each other. No  i or u on this team. 82 and 94 Canucks weren't supposed to be a cup team but they played as a Team and that's what got them to the cup finals.

Ray Ferraro has said (which I believe) some times your best just isn't good enough. The thing with the Canuck is we haven't seen their best because their still mostly young and still developing but are also knowing the meaning of team. So who knows...it's going to be an interesting season to say the least.

best thing the media has said is this is a 65point team....thx media, you made one pissed off young determine Canucks team.

this team fights for that inch - any given Sunday 

we're going to lose some games but I hope we don't lose the fight

Go Canucks Go 

I agree Harry good TEAM effort so far. The team looks like they are all on the same page and following the same system. A big difference without floaters such as Higgins and Vrbata. Those who did not think losing Sutter last year was a big reason they bombed should be realizing it now how important he really is. Oh yeah ........and no Weber.  Yay!!!

Don't let the local jaded Nancy's drag you down OP; the positive vibes are a welcome change. :)

I've been fairly excited this summer for the season to start so we can see what it really is we have. My only real regret in this process of reinforcing our core is that the sedins may not be around long enough to finally accomplish their ultimate goal. In that sense I wish we could have sped things up faster, but all in all I believe we're headed in the right direction for renewed success. 

52 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

I was actually writing out next year's lines in my phone last night...and I agree with @apollo we should be competitive. I'll show you my lineup, it might take an extra year, but I feel like the Sedins will be producing at a good clip for the foreseeable future. 

Here's the lines.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Virtanen-Gaunce-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Subban

Markstrom

Demko

Like I said, this roster might take an extra year to build and be competitive, but you can already see the whole team coming together nicely. Especially the defence.

Also, I've left out Rodin, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Burrows and a few others. We've got a couple spare parts and could be able to swing a deal for another skilled young forward! 

Hey Zoolander

Like you said there's no Rodin in that lineup. Do you think Subban is further along than Stecher and will have a better training camp next year? Personally, I'm a big subban fan but I do think Stecher deserved a spot this year. Let's see what unfolds in Utica this year. Virtanen on the fourth line again is a bit of a stretch IMO but it all depends on his work ethic and what type of player he wants to be. I agree with you on Boeser, he will be up here next season.

5 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

were against st. louis next game, thats going to be a good showing of where we are at. Carolina and calgary are kind of $&!#, if its a close game vs st. louis we're in a good spot.

Calgary is actually a good team.  Many (so called) experts pick them getting 100+ points, don't they?  Maybe we're just better than a lot of people think?  

46 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

were against st. louis next game, thats going to be a good showing of where we are at. Carolina and calgary are kind of $&!#, if its a close game vs st. louis we're in a good spot.

Too soon to know what we have this year.

Pleasantly surprised so far but yupp the games are quickly going to become much tougher......

I think the encouraging thing so far is the production up and down the lineup.   

As long as the effort is there each game  and the young kids keep developing, i will be a happy. 

1 hour ago, drsofthands said:

That is true, however being down 3-0 half way through the second and scoring on yourself is not the way you should be playing against your so called "$&!#" teams. I think it took a few Christian miracles for the club to be at 2-0 right now.

Needless to say, it is the beginning of the season, and I think a lot of us are prepared for our season to head in any direction, including sideways.

6 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Impact players that can play up and down the line up: 

Sutter

Horvat

Granlund - seems to have been progressing nicely but time will tell if he is the guy we wanted when we traded Shink.

Hansen

Virtanen - can be used in an offensive role with that heavy shot or in more of a checking role. As long as he gets enough ice time here to develop his game as well.

Burrows

22-33-21 definitely work, but so does 22-33-36 as out top line. Hansen seems to have developed into something more than a speedster. With more speed than Eriksson, he retrieves pucks quicker for the Sedins to play their game. But in no way am I saying that Eriksson with the Twins is a bad thing. 

Infact, we could have BaeBo with Eriksson. Horvat seems to know where his line mates are and get them the puck and we saw that last night when he was out there shortly with Eriksson during a line change.

Sutter seems to be the main piece of any line he plays on. Him and Granlund are showing well together. Virtanen or Rodin could work with them as well has what they have now with Hansen. 

I would like like to see Sutter and Horvat together with Hansen/Burr/Dorsett and a Defensive/Shutdown line for tougher matchups as I don't think we have a pure shutdown line for those occasions and I don't think Horvat with burr and dorse will get it done.

Edler looks mint out there. Pinching, hitting, shooting. Let's hope it sticks. He deserves it with all of those injuries.

Hutton...27? Keep thinking its petriangelo. He wears 27 too, right? 

Sbisa has improved but still needs to work on some things. 

Larsen is playing like he wants to be here.

Guddy is just so gud. Make that trade again in a heartbeat. +1000 JB.

Tanev is a stud.

Our D is stable enough that we can take those chances now and we see that with Edler and Hutton and Larsen. We are finally getting some shots from our defense!

We have Stecher, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan, Subban who could all play when there's an injury.

We haven't even seen our Swedish League MVP in action yet. 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Baertshii-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Gaunce-Burrows

or 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertshii-Horvat-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Dorsett-Gaunce-Burrows

We have enough chemistry to try different things. Also, where do you think Rodin slots in?

Thx for reading, and your assessment of players of lines will be appreciated! 

Go Canucks Go!

Nicknames devalue your otherwise good article.

2 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Hey Zoolander

Like you said there's no Rodin in that lineup. Do you think Subban is further along than Stecher and will have a better training camp next year? Personally, I'm a big subban fan but I do think Stecher deserved a spot this year. Let's see what unfolds in Utica this year. Virtanen on the fourth line again is a bit of a stretch IMO but it all depends on his work ethic and what type of player he wants to be. I agree with you on Boeser, he will be up here next season.

Hey Torts,.  With Stetcher showing well,.  And watching Brisboise, who played very well in pre season, along with are top pick Joulevi all in the near future,.  I would think Subban might be traded.  Should bring something decent in return.

6 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Impact players that can play up and down the line up: 

Sutter

Horvat

Granlund - seems to have been progressing nicely but time will tell if he is the guy we wanted when we traded Shink.

Hansen

Virtanen - can be used in an offensive role with that heavy shot or in more of a checking role. As long as he gets enough ice time here to develop his game as well.

Burrows

22-33-21 definitely work, but so does 22-33-36 as out top line. Hansen seems to have developed into something more than a speedster. With more speed than Eriksson, he retrieves pucks quicker for the Sedins to play their game. But in no way am I saying that Eriksson with the Twins is a bad thing. 

Infact, we could have BaeBo with Eriksson. Horvat seems to know where his line mates are and get them the puck and we saw that last night when he was out there shortly with Eriksson during a line change.

Sutter seems to be the main piece of any line he plays on. Him and Granlund are showing well together. Virtanen or Rodin could work with them as well has what they have now with Hansen. 

I would like like to see Sutter and Horvat together with Hansen/Burr/Dorsett and a Defensive/Shutdown line for tougher matchups as I don't think we have a pure shutdown line for those occasions and I don't think Horvat with burr and dorse will get it done.

Edler looks mint out there. Pinching, hitting, shooting. Let's hope it sticks. He deserves it with all of those injuries.

Hutton...27? Keep thinking its petriangelo. He wears 27 too, right? 

Sbisa has improved but still needs to work on some things. 

Larsen is playing like he wants to be here.

Guddy is just so gud. Make that trade again in a heartbeat. +1000 JB.

Tanev is a stud.

Our D is stable enough that we can take those chances now and we see that with Edler and Hutton and Larsen. We are finally getting some shots from our defense!

We have Stecher, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan, Subban who could all play when there's an injury.

We haven't even seen our Swedish League MVP in action yet. 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Baertshii-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Gaunce-Burrows

or 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertshii-Horvat-Eriksson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Dorsett-Gaunce-Burrows

We have enough chemistry to try different things. Also, where do you think Rodin slots in?

Thx for reading, and your assessment of players of lines will be appreciated! 

Go Canucks Go!

Per chance do you mean "Versatility"?

Spell Check, it's a thing.

I love your enthusiasm. I like a lot that Benning is doing. Not keen on Willie's decision making.

We are two games in against two below average squads. Relax.

Way, way too early to make any concrete assertions. That being said there's 2 things I see so far that have been both encouraging and lacking in previous seasons.

The team doesn't give up. Had this been last year after going down 3-0 while having almost all of the scoring chances there wouldn't have been a push back and we might've gotten 1 goal near the end of the 3rd. Far too late to make a difference. This time in both games they pushed the pedal to the metal for most of the time and believed they could come back. That's a huge deal psychologically for players.

The balanced scoring. We've now had 9 different forwards get a point over 2 games. That kind of point production spread hasn't been around since Alain Vigneault. It takes enormous pressure off the Sedins to know we have secondary scoring and can get points from all 4 of our lines.

Again I will reiterate caution, this could just be a fluke, but it's very encouraging to see so far.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Calgary is actually a good team.  Many (so called) experts pick them getting 100+ points, don't they?  Maybe we're just better than a lot of people think?  

They haven't nailed down their systems yet - missing Gaudreau and Monahan for training camp did not help them re new coach.  

Archived