The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Concerned Virtanen's lost physical play and getting a reputation as an 'easy target'

*Buzzsaw*

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Not sure if this is a criticism of Virtanen or a criticism of CDC. I think Virtanen's development has been disappointing so far. Not terrible, but disappointing, especially compared with Horvat or with Ehlers and Nylander.

I agree with these two comments. I also favour sending Virtanen to junior where he can get on top of his game with the help of intensive developmental coaching from Green. (And Utica could use some help.)  Like many others I favored sending Jake down to Utica to start the season, in which case we could have saved Etem. (Not saying Etem was good in preseason, but he could play in the bottom 6 without hurting the team.)

Nylers and Elander are small - skilled guys (much like Linden Vey) who are really hurting their teams unless they are getting at least a point per game.  They really offer NOTHING else.  JAKE is bigger and better.  He causes more turnovers by intimidation in one game than those two Smurfs will do in their combined careers.  Thank GOD we didn't draft either of those two. 

In before the mods lock this sucker up; before they put on the BIG lockeru.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Nylers and Elander are small - skilled guys (much like Linden Vey) who are really hurting their teams unless they are getting at least a point per game.  They really offer NOTHING else.  JAKE is bigger and better.  He causes more turnovers by intimidation in one game than those two Smurfs will do in their combined careers.  Thank GOD we didn't draft either of those two. 

C'mon Alf, don't be diplomatic. Tell us what you really think about Nylander and Ehlers.

(Try channeling Donald Trump.)

Just now, JamesB said:

C'mon Alf, don't be diplomatic. Tell us what you really think about Nylander and Ehlers.

(Try channeling Donald Trump.)

It's 100% accurate though.  JV does not need to produce points to help the team win.  Nylers and Elander must put up A LOT of points, because that's the only way they can contribute.  Considering those two will likely end of with less than 60 points, they actually hurt their teams.  They are not defensive minded, or face off experts, or PK guys, or...or...or...  What do Ehlers and Nylander actually provide to help their teams win games, when they don't score?  Alf would like you to explain.  :P  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's 100% accurate though.  JV does not need to produce points to help the team win.  Nylers and Elander must put up A LOT of points, because that's the only way they can contribute.  Considering those two will likely end of with less than 60 points, they actually hurt their teams.  They are not defensive minded, or face off experts, or PK guys, or...or...or...  What do Ehlers and Nylander actually provide to help their teams win games, when they don't score?  Alf would like you to explain.  :P  

Please tell me you're joking...

Just now, guntrix said:

The Canucks will benefit both short and long term by having Jake in the AHL. IMO, he's not ready.

I'm assuming that he's only there to cover for Rodin but we'll see.

You think Rodin can replace what Jake brings?  Alf thinks they are completely different players.

He had 128 hits last year, leading all forwards in that category as a rookie. It's 2 games into the season, so I have no idea where your getting this idea from. Sure that push was stupid, but it's also being blown out of proportion. If your judging him on these last 2 games, maybe consider the fact that he had a minor shoulder injury in the preseason and might be a little sore due to that. 

I think he should be in Utica playing top line minutes, but I also think CDC should stop being such a CDC and creating concern out of nothing. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You think Rodin can replace what Jake brings?  Alf thinks they are completely different players.

Depends what you value. Sure, he won't replace Jake's physicality (although that's sort've been non-existent in the first two games) but he's projected to be a point-producer. 

Of course, maybe Rodin busts and doesn't produce much in which case I'd waive him.

Yeah when I first saw this title I assumed it was about the incident in the Hurricaines game, and him getting a reputation as THAT kind of player. I am honestly more worried about that. I would prefer that he kept him game clean. He will find his pace and aggression for hitting as he finds his stride and his confidence as a more mature player.

I don't buy at all that the checking players in the league would throw more hits or fewer hits on a player because they have researched and monitored how well he responds to hits comparatively. If they see an opening, they make the hit, no matter the player. 

"If you're built like a freight train, you can't drive around like a Volkswagen."
Remember that quote?

Read up stories of Todd Bertuzzi 1995~1998 when he was with the islanders.

Give the kid some time and space, Jake will get it...

about 5 years later.

For a guy who is known to have a short temper, you don't want him retaliating and taking a penalty, he should hopefully be looking to make them pay on the score board or with a big clean hit later in the game. Willy has probably stressed many times the importance of not taking penalties especially to the young guys. 

All else fails just smash his head into the boards...

1 hour ago, danjr said:

You do have to remember that he is facing the best players in the world.  This doesn't mean offensively and defensively, it also means in avoiding and initiating hits.  These guys know how to get out of the way of hits like no other players.  You have to be aware of going to hit someone and all of a sudden they aren't there.  Ask Mike Grier from Edmonton about 10 years ago he went for a hit and the guy wasn't there.  He hit the glass with his arm first and blew out his shoulder.  It's a scary thing to have to worry about injuring yourself when you attempt a hit.

Agree with your first point 

Your second, not so much. The boards/glass of 10 years ago was like running into a wall at full force.

The boards/glass of today have so much leeway a hit ripples the adjoining glass 10 feet on each side spreading out the impact making it far less of a risk for injury.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In before the mods lock this sucker up; before they put on the BIG lockeru.

HAHA

I like the Virtanen pick over Nylander and Ehlers too, but man your on another level. 

Archived