Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Concerned Virtanen's lost physical play and getting a reputation as an 'easy target'


*Buzzsaw*

Recommended Posts

Well for starters his shoulder is hurting and it's hard to be physical when your shoulder is in pain. 

 

You can see he needs time in the AHL, BUT the worry for most Canucks fans is will he get sour and start acting like a hodgson or drouin. That is the last thing we need right now, lockeroom drama. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All's I got to say to all you "live for the moment or nothing" people, Just do some research on power forwards & you'll quickly realise that Jake is 3-4 years away from being the player we drafted him to be. 

eg. Bertuzzi, LeClair, Primeau, Coyle, Neely, Guerin, Kreieder, etc.etc.etc.   

 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120939

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I see the exact opposite. He is being targeted because players know he can be a force and they are trying to get to him early. The refs have let him get sh..canned  a few times and no calls also, This will toughen him up not pussy him up.... he does not want to gain the rep from the refs. If he learns to channel the darks side he will be a wrecking ball. Give him some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hearditall said:

All's I got to say to all you "live for the moment or nothing" people, Just do some research on power forwards & you'll quickly realise that Jake is 3-4 years away from being the player we drafted him to be. 

eg. Bertuzzi, LeClair, Primeau, Coyle, Neely, Guerin, Kreieder, etc.etc.etc.   

 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120939

+ 10k if I could     exactly what the concerned fans need to be thinking of

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ridiculous. He's probably still got a sore shoulder from training camp and people are acting like the Nordstrom thing is like Lucic sticking a guy in the nuts. Its not. The 'reputation building' is coming from TSN and gee, why is that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake was a big kid, but now he's still just a kid playing in a men's league.

 

He can still throw his weight around a bit and use his size and frame to make him hard to contain and play against, but he's a couple years away from being in his physical prime where he's going to be intimidating grown men. "Old man strength" is a real thing. Very few power forwards are impact players until they hit the 22-24 range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I noticed his physical play has tailed off... ...it's almost like he is fresh off a shoulder injury or something...

 

30 minutes ago, hearditall said:

All's I got to say to all you "live for the moment or nothing" people, Just do some research on power forwards & you'll quickly realise that Jake is 3-4 years away from being the player we drafted him to be. 

eg. Bertuzzi, LeClair, Primeau, Coyle, Neely, Guerin, Kreieder, etc.etc.etc.   

 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120939

 

7 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

Jake was a big kid, but now he's still just a kid playing in a men's league.

 

He can still throw his weight around a bit and use his size and frame to make him hard to contain and play against, but he's a couple years away from being in his physical prime where he's going to be intimidating grown men. "Old man strength" is a real thing. Very few power forwards are impact players until they hit the 22-24 range.

 

/thread

 

These posts should be stickied to the top of every JV thread :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1st game I watched he had 2 nice chances in the slot to score. He fired them both wide, but if one of those goes in, nobody is saying a bad word about his play. If he's getting in those prime positions to score then he is doing something right. He wasn't engaging as much as he should have on the forecheck, but the Canucks aren't doing an all out blitz to the end boards. They're playing a 3rd forward high to transition from offense if we get possession or defend if the opposition breaks out.

 

The 2nd game he was more engaged and was the 1st man in on a few occasions. He made some nice stick checks and stole the puck a few times. He made a couple of nice hits and made passes instead of the reactionary shot he usually makes. Only Jake knows if he meant to bounce that guys head off of the boards, but it looked like a reaction to someone trying to hump his leg and the ref was staring straight at them. If they hadn't been along the boards, nobody would be saying anything about that either.

 

Based on those 2 games, I don't see any reason for concern or worry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

1st game I watched he had 2 nice chances in the slot to score. He fired them both wide, but if one of those goes in, nobody is saying a bad word about his play. If he's getting in those prime positions to score then he is doing something right. He wasn't engaging as much as he should have on the forecheck, but the Canucks aren't doing an all out blitz to the end boards. They're playing a 3rd forward high to transition from offense if we get possession or defend if the opposition breaks out.

 

The 2nd game he was more engaged and was the 1st man in on a few occasions. He made some nice stick checks and stole the puck a few times. He made a couple of nice hits and made passes instead of the reactionary shot he usually makes. Only Jake knows if he meant to bounce that guys head off of the boards, but it looked like a reaction to someone trying to hump his leg and the ref was staring straight at them. If they hadn't been along the boards, nobody would be saying anything about that either.

 

Based on those 2 games, I don't see any reason for concern or worry.

Yeah. And lets face it, even guys like Lucic and Pronger don't / didn't destroy guys every game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saying he's not hitting as much as he did in Junior is the same as saying he's not scoring as much.

Guys are more aware and harder to hit at the NHL level.

It's two games into the season and people are already passing judgement on this team and it's players, ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

 

Not sure if this is a criticism of Virtanen or a criticism of CDC. I think Virtanen's development has been disappointing so far. Not terrible, but disappointing, especially compared with Horvat or with Ehlers and Nylander.

 

Sure, but some would argue you're comparing apples to oranges here.  Ehlers and Nylander are both light bodies, playing a high-skill game.  Horvat is a beast, and setting the bar there might be a little unfair.  I'll agree I haven't been excited about Virtanen's development so far, but I'm not worried yet either.  Spending some time in Utica might be good for him, but at the same time I trust this groups decisions regarding developing prospects (they've done a pretty good job so far).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What he just need to do is to be on the receiving end of some big hit and then he needs to get up and totally fight the other player (preferably win that fight).  

Much like what Prust mentioned last year with McCann.... the young guys do need to fight their own battles at time.  Of course, veterans like Dorsett, Burrows and Gudbranson (still a young guy) will step in at times, but players that play very physical (Iginla when younger, Perry, Getzlaf, Lucic, Brown, etc) are always willing combatants.  

 

Virtanen needs to do the same.  Not every time he gets hit, but often enough that he will develop a fearsome reputation (a la Lucic).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

 

I have noticed he is (sometimes) behaving like a bit of a whiner.  You're right that JV needs to be the mean guy, like he did with Nordstrom, but when things happen to him he needs to drop the mitts and chuck some knuckles. I hear he's a lefty in fights.   

 

 

I think he's a righty lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...