The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Concerned Virtanen's lost physical play and getting a reputation as an 'easy target'

*Buzzsaw*

I'm more concerned about him going stray on the physical side and losing his scoring development. 6th pick shouldn't be just a hitter. Lay off the kid and give him time to adjust and grow. Maybe AHL is the best option for him if not just to get away from the fishbowl and asinine media.

At worst, we have Kassian 2.0
At best, unlimited.

The problem is Jake looks like he's alone. No real linemates, peers at different levels of development, lack of ice time to get him in any rhythm, not exactly using his minutes to the best of his advantage either.

Continuing on this path seems to be a waste of such promising talent. And it's not like he's holding down the fort until Rodin is ready since he barely plays in the games he's dressed in. I hope he gets a chance to develop in Utica this year.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I still feel Virtanen should've gone to Utica this year, to get healthy and develop properly under Green. 

This I think is the biggest thing

Power forwards take a longer time to develop he was only 19 last year and just turned 20 this year

And I really believe that JV needs at least a year and maybe 2 or 3 to develop properly in the AHL

We need him for the long term and this year and next should be development years for 18

Just now, Freaky Freak said:

This I think is the biggest thing

Power forwards take a longer time to develop he was only 19 last year and just turned 20 this year

And I really believe that JV needs at least a year and maybe 2 or 3 to develop properly in the AHL

We need him for the long term and this year and next should be development years for 18

And once again, those getting paid to make decisions for where Jake plays disagree with you and 90% of the posters in this thread. Rodin has proven less at this level than anyone on our team. Jake will be fine.

Jake is not gonna be Kassian 2-0 at worst.

Jake is soph player who will be evolving and developing over the next few seasons. Jake will be Cam Neely 2-0 , he should not be fighting at this stage but needs to look out for himself .

12-16 goals this season is I think reasonable expectation ,

WD lets him play some 2  unit power play this will be good for him. 

Management will not allow this asset to waste away or diminish they will fully exploit his upside an facilitate that to a finished product .

Jake will be fine I'm glad him and Rodin are taking some time to heal up a bit and come back stronger. If Jake gets sent down fine if he stays I think the hits will come and he doesn't need to add anything extra to those hits. 

Sbisa,Edler,Dorsett,Guddy and Jake have all been hitting. Bo Gaunce and now Skille will help provide more physicality.

This year we can add hits by committee not any one player being looked at to hit. Which is way more effective than last year.

The message being sent is there is that there are no easy wins in Vancouver anymore. 

NEWSFLASH: 20 year old has problem with decision making. :lol:

It's so early in the season that no one should be taking any of what is happening as a way to define a player. Lets not forget either that we're all aware of how long it takes a player of his style to hit their peak.

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think Virtanen was the obvious pick for Vancouver in the draft... because at that time we needed size.  He was picked for his physicality as well as his scoring touch.

However, I am concerned Jake is developing some bad habits and also a reputation.

By that I mean his physical play has really tailed off... he is not hitting anywhere near as much as he did in junior.  And hitting is what originally defined his game and it really is the element the Canucks have been missing and need to complement their skilled forwards.

He is also developing a reputation as a player who is an easy target, who will take a hit, and not respond.  I have now seen him receive cheapshot dirty hits two or three times, very heavily, with the potential for serious injury.  In all the cases, he did not respond by coming back at the guy who gave him the cheapshot.  In fact, his play typically tails off, and he goes into a shell for the rest of the game.  You cannot do that in this league and expect to survive.  4th line goons and marginal players feed off that... if they think they can get a cheapshot in for free, they will take the opportunity.  I also see him backing down too much in scrums.

I don't think it is actually in Jake's nature to fight, and I think he has been a little in awe of the veteran players in the league, but its time to put that behind him.

Jake may only have just turned 20, but he is a big kid and he needs to start standing up for himself... he needs to be willing to defend himself, with a hit in response, or with his fists.

Coaches and Linden need to sit down with him and talk to him about playing more physically, standing up for himself and also to be a little more aware of his surroundings and realize there are always players out there who will take a cheapshot if the opportunity arises.

Power forwards take longer to develop

That is all

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think Virtanen was the obvious pick for Vancouver in the draft... because at that time we needed size.  He was picked for his physicality as well as his scoring touch.

However, I am concerned Jake is developing some bad habits and also a reputation.

By that I mean his physical play has really tailed off... he is not hitting anywhere near as much as he did in junior.  And hitting is what originally defined his game and it really is the element the Canucks have been missing and need to complement their skilled forwards.

He is also developing a reputation as a player who is an easy target, who will take a hit, and not respond.  I have now seen him receive cheapshot dirty hits two or three times, very heavily, with the potential for serious injury.  In all the cases, he did not respond by coming back at the guy who gave him the cheapshot.  In fact, his play typically tails off, and he goes into a shell for the rest of the game.  You cannot do that in this league and expect to survive.  4th line goons and marginal players feed off that... if they think they can get a cheapshot in for free, they will take the opportunity.  I also see him backing down too much in scrums.

I don't think it is actually in Jake's nature to fight, and I think he has been a little in awe of the veteran players in the league, but its time to put that behind him.

Jake may only have just turned 20, but he is a big kid and he needs to start standing up for himself... he needs to be willing to defend himself, with a hit in response, or with his fists.

Coaches and Linden need to sit down with him and talk to him about playing more physically, standing up for himself and also to be a little more aware of his surroundings and realize there are always players out there who will take a cheapshot if the opportunity arises.

Mrs. Virtanen? Jake's gonna be fine. Patience.

I want him to use his big body to control the puck like Bertuzzi, Forever, and even Thornton. If he is able to do this he will be a real threat on offense, because he'll draw penalties, he can take the puck to the net, he can shield the puck away and pass to a teammate, etc...

9 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

I'm sure he'll be fine. The NHL is a hard league for a young player who is expected to be a physical force every game. He needs to continue filling out as he finds his way through the league. I just wish he had a true legit heavy weight to help him out when things get a little beyond him. Maybe Guddy or Dorsett can help out there

Dorsett a heavyweight????
he gets ragdolled everytime he takes his gloves off

Isn't this kind of thing exactly what young guys are sent to the AHL for - gaining confidence and developing certain parts of their game? It strikes me that that's the perfect place for someone who might find the transition too much of a challenge (high skill AND mature bodies), which wouldn't surprise me with a guy that young, no matter how talented. 

I'm also not a fan of the whole cheap shot thing. Sure, hit them, and hit them hard, but do it in a fair way. That's just as much retaliation, and if you have a reputation for hitting fairly, the league will eventually catch on and punish transgressions against you. If you're known to respond in kind, they might not deem it necessary, or at least not push the matter as hard in fringe cases.

Disclaimer: These are general points. Being located in Europe and fairly busy at the moment, I haven't been able to watch more than highlights this season and am unable to look at this specific situation in detail.

Chris Kreider played for Boston college for three seasons and then spent the better part of a season in the AHL. Kreider had his first solid NHL season as a 22 year old. 

I really hope Rodin comes back soon so Virtanen can start developing in Utica so we can all stop discussing if/when he'll breakout. 

28 minutes ago, RyIe said:

Chris Kreider played for Boston college for three seasons and then spent the better part of a season in the AHL. Kreider had his first solid NHL season as a 22 year old. 

I really hope Rodin comes back soon so Virtanen can start developing in Utica so we can all stop discussing if/when he'll breakout. 

Yeep. 

Archived