The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nucks 2, Blues 1

TheRussianRocket.

5 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

they might want to slow the win train down or teams might just start to take us seriously

That's what I'm sayin man.

Just that injection of developed youth allowing us to play a full game for a change. No sitting back. 

Karma bites the blues back like a b&$@* after Bo gets cross checked.

With a healthy roster, we should be able to compete night in and out for a playoff spot. Let's hope Miller's "tightness" will be recovered quickly but he should not be rushed as we need him playing at 100%. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Canucks play the right way, dominate for parts and have a few sloppy plays against St. Louis. Great game and very close game against the Blues, of the 3 games they were most closely matched up against St. Louis.

1) The Sedins and Eriksson were average again all night long, some B-grade chances and Eriksson has objectively not looked good so far. Not dynamite but I expect him to pick up his game and at least score 20 goals this season for that amount of money and ice-time. They're certainly not the best line on our team right now but nevertheless they generated chances consistently and end up winning the game in a situation they'd normally stink at. Terrible defence by the twins on the Tarensenko goal but then great defence in the 3-on-3 and effort that lead to the winning goal. That's leadership.

2) Baertschi had a few moments but didn't generate too much, Skille looked fantastic defensively and really made some nice plays, and Bo Horvat had 2 A-grade chances, ends up scoring a massive goal anyway. This powerplay has been dreadful so far with Eriksson, I say put Horvat in that spot and get him to do what he did on the tying goal. He's a big, strong body who can screen and bang in rebounds and that's how we need to score more goals on the PP - by scoring ugly rebounds. Brilliant clutch goal by Horvat, we're just grooming a clutch culture at the moment and it's going to pay off big time in the playoffs when we've got 3 lines who can score timely goals.

3) Sutter, Hansen and Granlund were again our best line. Constantly generating big time chances, Hansen has been flying all season long and his passing ability seems much better this year, his vision is very underated. Granlund probably deserved another goal and Sutter could have had a couple, and as a line they've been our best defensively and offensively so far this season. Don't break them up.

4) Gaunce had a couple nice hits, nothing big, and Dorsett and Burrows were decent on the forecheck but nothing special. These guys disappointed me. When Steen was running around cheap-shotting Edler, Horvat and then Markstrom, these are the guys who need to step up. Instead we get Sutter go and give him a chat, that's it. No one took out Steen after the Edler hit, or the Horvat hit, then he goes and knees our goalie in the head when we've already lost our starter to injury. Disappointed in Dorsett in particular but they're relatively soft 4th liners anyway. You do that to the Blues and I guarantee you Reeves comes after the player throwing punches. Sure, it was a tight game and you don't want to take a stupid penalty, but it wasn't that tight after the Horvat injury and there was plenty of time to play. That's were a 2 minute penalty is worth sending the message. Pathetic once again. It was hard for the guys on the ice to do anything (Granlund, Edler, Hutton, Baertschi) but it was going on all game, I expected at least a big targetted hit but nothing.

5) Edler had a pretty rough game tonight. Few bad turnovers, passed up a lot of shooting opportunities to play it down the boards and really had his worst game of the season. We need to get this guys minutes down to 22-23 minutes a night again for him to be sucessful because we all know if he's overworked, he makes mistakes.

6) Tanev was the same all night, didn't have a good game, made some bad turnovers in our own zone, then just goes and wins the game with a huge goal. Sure, any one on the ice with the twins would have scored that goal but it's still a big one.

7) Hutton and Gudbranson looked great again tonight, big spread out on the Tarasenko goal which was a mess all over the ice but they really shut down the Blues nicely all game long apart from the one messed up play and odd-man rush.Hutton with a few good chances, it's good to see someone on our defence happy to try and shoot the puck a bit more.

8) Larsen was flying nicely tonight, he's really starting to look good but he needs to produce more on the PP. We've been dreadful, he's been great at moving the puck and keeping it in despite some tight situations on the blueline but he still needs to be able to get that shot through with more weight, generate 2nd chances and rebounds if not score. Edler's shot is far better suited to the point but he's nowhere near as quick as Larsen. I'd say give Hutton a chance - he's about as quick-footed (but not as safe) as Larsen and has a nice heavy shot. Either way, our PP needs a shakeup desperately.

For the next game I say we keep Larsen on the PP, just replace Eriksson with Horvat, and if still no success give Hutton a chance on the point as well with 2 defenders. We need a BIG change on the PP because it's simply not working and is coming close to costing us games.

9) Obviously Markstrom was massive tonight, made a lot of clutch saves with about 10 minutes to go in the game that ended up keeping us in it and that huge game saver in OT too. Brilliant game by him after a shaky game against Carolina, he looked like a real starter tonight.

TL;DR - The Sedins were average apart from the game winner, Sutter's line has been the best so far with Hansen and Granlund, Horvat needs to replace Eriksson on the PP and maybe give Hutton a chance at the point with Larsen if that doesn't work because we can't keep bleeding this PP dry. Brilliant defensive structure for the most part, came unravelled at times but stuck in there and won against a very solid St. Louis team in the end. This style of play bodes well for the playoffs.

Albeit only 3 games into the season, there hasn't been a moment where I felt like we couldn't come back. There has been a lot of excitement in each game, beautiful passes, man to man coverage, forcing turnovers, getting pleanty of chances each game and some really beautiful chemistry throughout the lineup. Idk what the coaches have been drawing up on the board in practice or during the games, but there has been some extremely surprising plays throughout all 3 games that I could not forsee. Like I said long before the season started, I really feel like we are going to surprise the league this year. We have yet to add Rodin into the lineup and already it seems like we have a ton of Skille =P. Its still a long season to go, but if we can make a big trade as the deadline nears, theres a different attitude out there, down a goal or 3 and this team is showing no signs of worry. Lovin it. I am losing my voice from cheering after each goal. Can't wait to see this teams confidence when playing with a lead

Archived