The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] LA and Pens talking Goalies?

Provost

this trade seems pretty obvious. but it depends on what the Pens are asking for.

Brian Elliott has had a rough start, and Winnipeg waived their #1.

LA might have some serious competition for a bargain goalie.

Let's talk about Miller. Markstrom was extended, and we all expect Demko to be the guy 2-3 years from now.

Miller's wife loves & lives in LA.

If they can't get Fleury, Miller would be a good option. 

The fact is our goaltending has not been an issue. Miller is still decent, especially behind a competent team.

I can see LA taking the hit. But it would have to be soon. Trade Deadline Day would be long after Quick was healthy.

If we want to trade with LA we have to put the squeeze on asap.

The one advantage we have is that Miller is a true #1 available now, on the cheap. Something other teams can not offer.

5 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Another thing to consider is how the expansion draft will change what teams might be willing to deal. Do the Pens have a goalie thats under contract to expose if they trade Fluery?

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

They could simply re-sign Condon or sign an AHL goalie for that matter. There is no minimum games requirement.

22 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

In fantasyland (AKA CDC), this would be a great idea. Getting out of Miller's contract would be huge....for a rebuilding team

Miller has one year left no? His contract is hardly a problem going forward. Nor would I consider us a rebuilding team. I stand by us being a playoff team last year if not for all those injuries.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Miller has one year left no? His contract is hardly a problem going forward. Nor would I consider us a rebuilding team. I stand by us being a playoff team last year if not for all those injuries.

Getting something for him vs letting him walk at the end would help. I doubt the value would be a major difference maker, so either way really.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎20 at 1:36 PM, Type R said:

Short term, Miller makes perfect sense, he can keep the Kings in it until Quick can make it back, that leaves them with a 3rd wheel until either TD or end of year when Millers contract expires and he hits market.  Miller has already shown he's competitive and has plenty of game left.

THIS! 

If our Canucks are to stay in the playoff race, we need both Miller and Marky. If one of them gets injured, kiss our playoff hopes goodbye. I would rather roll with 2 number 1's than expect an injury which could derail our entire season. Screw LA, they are done, got no D left besides doughty and will not get by Hawks, Sharks or Ducks now. 

As Benning predicted, we need 2 goalies capable of winning us games. Miller is on his last year, let him play it out and earn it rather than trade him for scraps which is what LA will expect. 

23 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Getting something for him vs letting him walk at the end would help. I doubt the value would be a major difference maker, so either way really.

For sure, getting something rather than nothing is always better. Would be nice to have him over a 4th or 5th though. Or whatever he'd fetch.

5 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Miller more likely than Fleury. We have cap room to retain. Short term A rated goalie. 

Miller ain't going anywhere.

By the time the Canucks would even think about trading him this season, Quick will be back.

All I have to say is that Miller is playing lights out so far this season. If we want a playoff spot, we need both Marky and Miller playing at an elite level.

I say screw LA, I would rather keep Millsy and Marky and hope to reach a playoff spot based on their elite skills. LA already has gotten free from the Richards deal based on some shady dealings, I do not want to help them at all, let them lose in the 2nd round vs the hawks. 

Archived