The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fuel to lose: Canucks need to get off the Gatorade

Slegr

I am shocked to see so many Canucks still drinking Gatorade between shifts. Bo Horvat is the biggest of culprits, guzzling the stuff down.

Big deal, it’s just a drink, you might be thinking.

Let me just say that Gatorade is a joke of a sport’s drink. True, it’s the official sports drink of the NHL, hence the bottles and advertising everywhere during a game. But fewer players on opposing dreams are actually drinking it, because they know better. In fact, most of them just use the green bottle that has other brand names or just water in it.

Gatorade is filled with cheap sucrose syrups, giving it extremely high sugar content. It’s filled with nasty food additives and colourings, including the controversial monopotassium phosphate, also known as fertilizer and fungicide. The stuff is shoddy, potentially cancer-causing junk that only serves slightly better than water in the replenishment of electrolytes.

The Canucks management have used many unconventional approaches over the years to help our players get an edge, like through monitoring sleep patterns in the Gillis era or the unusual use of the hyperbaric chamber for uninjured players in the 94 cup run in the Quinn era. Why aren’t the players being encouraged to drink a better quality of sports drinks?

These athletes depend on their body and mind to make critical differences in the game. In last night’s game against Buffalo, I saw the Canucks go into a 4-on-4 situation after they were short-handed but the Sabres took a penalty to even it up. Then I saw Horvat absent mindedly dump the puck down the ice to create an icing call – it appears he thought the Canucks were still short-handed. Could it be that the fertilizer and fungicide he had just swallowed was effecting his mind-set? He drinks through the transparent bottles, with bright blue artificial colours made of petroleum being swallowed up. Why would he drink the McDonalds quality of sports drinks when there are far superior ways to quench his thirst and power up, like through BioSteel.  How much better of a player could he be if he went a healthier route? (BioSteel is no secret and been around the NHL for years - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/move-over-gatorade-theres-a-new-fuel-for-nhl-players/article591854/) 

If the Canucks find themselves in a playoff game that goes into double overtime, and our team has been sucking down Gatorade the whole game as opposed to a superior alternative, it would suck to see related mental and physical mistakes from the effects of the additives cost them the game.

I, for one, embrace our players getting their daily serving of refreshing fungicide. You know what WON'T be a problem for Horvat? Fungus. He has that covered. 

Do you WANT Horvat to be covered in fungus? Do you? 

I thought not. 

Lmao lets let the ArmChair GM decide what's best for professional athletes who receive nutrition advice from the best experts in Vancouver...

a drink or two after a shift of high constant activity will not even replace what they lost... sure its not healthy to down bottle after bottle but its very effective at quickly replacing lost salts, sugars and electrolytes 

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

If the Canucks find themselves in a playoff game that goes into double overtime, and our team has been sucking down Gatorade the whole game as opposed to a superior alternative, it would suck to see related mental and physical mistakes from the effects of the additives cost them the game.

What were the boys drinking during this one?

58 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I am shocked to see so many Canucks still drinking Gatorade between shifts. Bo Horvat is the biggest of culprits, guzzling the stuff down.

Big deal, it’s just a drink, you might be thinking.

Let me just say that Gatorade is a joke of a sport’s drink. True, it’s the official sports drink of the NHL, hence the bottles and advertising everywhere during a game. But fewer players on opposing dreams are actually drinking it, because they know better. In fact, most of them just use the green bottle that has other brand names or just water in it.

1) Bo horvat is doin' just fine

2) Perhaps Bo is just using the gatorade bottle with another drink in it?  You actually explain it yourself in your post, but somehow fail to see how it could also apply to our players.

Gaaaaaaatorade

8 minutes ago, logic said:

Lmao lets let the ArmChair GM decide what's best for professional athletes who receive nutrition advice from the best experts in Vancouver...

a drink or two after a shift of high constant activity will not even replace what they lost... sure its not healthy to down bottle after bottle but its very effective at quickly replacing lost salts, sugars and electrolytes 

Haha, it happens a lot here. We question everything this team does and express our expert opinion. Yet those paid by the owner continue to disagree with us. Big surprise.

3 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

1) Bo horvat is doin' just fine

2) Perhaps Bo is just using the gatorade bottle with another drink in it?  You actually explain it yourself in your post, but somehow fail to see how it could also apply to our players.

Gaaaaaaatorade

I see Bo drinking through a transparent Gatorade bottle with blue drink in it. It's 100% Gatorade. Others use the non transparent green bottle.

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I see Bo drinking through a transparent Gatorade bottle with blue drink in it. It's 100% Gatorade. Others use the non transparent green bottle.

Likely gatorade, but it could also just be clever marketing.  Some other drink with colouring to make it look like gatorade.  Don't underestimate a big company like gatorade! 

• -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic

Archived