The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin denies request for conditioning stint (Utica)

VIC_CITY

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think people are confused on here. Please read what a conditioning stint is. Even veterans get sent. Sami Salo of the Canucks went for one. I think I remember Keith Ballard as well.

It's a workout program so to speak. To play big minutes and get in game shape. Usually done after a player hasn't played for a while and is not in game shape. 

And the player earns NHL salary while down there for max 14 days, often the player is brought back up before 14 days. 

I think if the shoes on the other foot though it may look like more than that, and risky. What if it doesn't go well? New systems, new players, Pedan's not going help him, etc. Plus who knows what his agent is advising him to do.

I just think it could be more complicated from his pov. 

Give him a few games to see how he does. 

Larsen has been gifted a spot so far over Stecher -who out-played him in pre-season -  because of his contract/agreement.  WIth so many games in the last week and a half, what is wrong with resting Sbisa or Larsen? I'm sure some guys could use a rest.

Tryamkin should be playing. The clause is in his contract for a reason, and he's quite right to exercise it. Give him NHL time and see how he plays. If it doesn't work out send him back to Russia. 

It should be simple, but WD seems to be refusing to play him. Hoping he's in tonight. 

I know its in his rights to decline to be sent to Utica, but just a tad disappointed he wouldn't even consider for a conditioning stint.

Think it would do him wonders to play a few games in Utica and get used to the physicality of NA hockey while facing lower quality players.

People have to remember that Larsen plays RHD, and Tryamkin plays LHD. So if we sit Larsen for him, Tryamkin would have to play on his off side.

And Sbisa in 5 games have played well and doesn't deserve to be taken out of the line up.

Tough situation all around.

i honestly feel Willy D will not play Tryamkin at all.. as really we have no one on the team to mentor him.. last year we have hamhuis to take him under his wing.. this year? no one.. there's not a single player on defense that you'd look up to for mentorship.. hence he'll never play a game this year at this rate

Today would be the perfect time to scratch Sbisa and Larsen for Tryamkin and Biega. Its a back to back against another heavy team, they're playing their sixth game in nine days (third in four days as well) and neither Sbisa or Larsen looked very good last night. It makes sense to use the condensed schedule to sit certain players and get the extra guys some game time so they don't grow too cold. Especially when one of them's a prospect you want to develop in game situations.

EDIT: and just as I write this, its announced that Biega draws in as a seventh defenseman. So much for that.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If he goes back to Russia he likely isn't coming back. That being said roster spots have to be earned not handed out.

That's my feeling anyways.

Try has an ELC so he is Canuck property, so he could go back for development and then return next season.

We don't know that he has asked to be handed a roster spot.  All we know is that he signed a contract that he would return to the KHL if he can't make the team. 

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Today would be the perfect time to scratch Sbisa and Larsen for Tryamkin and Biega. Its a back to back against another heavy team, they're playing their sixth game in nine days (third in four days as well) and neither Sbisa or Larsen looked very good last night. It makes sense to use the condensed schedule to sit certain players and get the extra guys some game time so they don't grow too cold. Especially when one of them's a prospect you want to develop in game situations.

Yup. I think JBs going to have to take this one on and tell Willie to play him. Willie isn't really an autonomous coach anyway, otherwise Benning never would have brought in Jarvis. 

i say give  the russian minutes  hes a beast we should have played him versus queens heres hoping hes in against ducks  watch him wreck perry, getzlaf and kesler make them scared to get near our net. If im willie  i play 

edler tanev

tryamkin guddy 

hutton larsen for  games with big teams  tryamkin guddy pairing woukd scare people

Unfortunately I have to agree with Tryamkin here. He came over here and was basically promised NHL time. Now, if he showed up to training camp out of shape and fat then it is the Canucks right not to play him, but it is also his right to simply sit here and collect an NHL pay cheque. Canucks have too many d-men which is a good problem to have. I honestly think Benning figured they would lose a d-man at the end of the year and he wanted to get a guy like Larsen to play 40 games so he could expose him, incase he didn't want to lose Sbisa. But it has backfired because Tryamkin is going to be left in the cold. And what about Biega? He is probably NHL ready. We've seen this time and time again with dmen who are d-ready and are getting pushed out.

2 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

I know its in his rights to decline to be sent to Utica, but just a tad disappointed he wouldn't even consider for a conditioning stint.

Think it would do him wonders to play a few games in Utica and get used to the physicality of NA hockey while facing lower quality players.

People have to remember that Larsen plays RHD, and Tryamkin plays LHD. So if we sit Larsen for him, Tryamkin would have to play on his off side.

And Sbisa in 5 games have played well and doesn't deserve to be taken out of the line up.

Tough situation all around.

more like sending him down on a conditioning stint is almost like circumventing his clause in his contract from being sent down to the AHL.. oh we can't send him down to the AHL as per his clause in his contract.. so we are going to sit him forever and then sending him down for conditioning stint once a month or so.. so it's like he's playing in the AHL without actually being in the AHL! 

Lets face it, Sbisa is OK but he's rarely the difference in a win or loss. Not to split the job with Tryamkin - even something like 50-32 is a bit ridiculous. Tryamkin isn't expansion draft eligible, and we're not going to protect Sbisa over Tanev, Edler or GudBranson. 

1 minute ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with Tryamkin here. He came over here and was basically promised NHL time. Now, if he showed up to training camp out of shape and fat then it is the Canucks right not to play him, but it is also his right to simply sit here and collect an NHL pay cheque. Canucks have too many d-men which is a good problem to have. I honestly think Benning figured they would lose a d-man at the end of the year and he wanted to get a guy like Larsen to play 40 games so he could expose him, incase he didn't want to lose Sbisa. But it has backfired because Tryamkin is going to be left in the cold. And what about Biega? He is probably NHL ready. We've seen this time and time again with dmen who are d-ready and are getting pushed out.

That is why the team decided to carry 8 d-men.  Anyways, there will be the usual injuries coming along pretty soon, so I would think those guys will get their chances.

48 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I guess he should have worked a little harder in the summer. Newsflash Frankenstein you aren't good enough!!! 

If we are guaranteeing players who have never played in the NHL roster spots without earning them then our management is a bigger joke than I have already suggested. 

So if your contract to work in the oil patch says you don't have to go to Fort Mac, and you boss then asks you to go to Fort Mac, you're heading north with bells on? Give me a break. 

45 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

JB: Hey Nikita, sign with us and we won't send you to Utica.

NT: OK

JB: Hey Nik, wanna go to Utica?

NT: ?

how is that entitled? You get what you negotiate in life. 

This isn't what is actually happening.

Tryamkin hasn't played in a game since the Preseason, well over two weeks. Conditioning assignment isn't the same as demotion to Utica. My guess is, they've liked what they've been seeing in practice but aren't sure if he's in game shape. A conditioning stint allows the Canucks brass and coaching to validate his progress in practice by seeing him in game situations.

After the conditioning stint they bring him back up to play.

My guess is JB is quietly shopping Sbisa to make room for Tryamkin, but need him to be in game shape prior to pulling the trigger. Sbisa is upping his trade value with his play so far, minus a few mistakes; the problem is that there haven't been any situations where D-men around the league have been seriously injured, that and a lot of teams are cap strapped right now.

Tryamkin doing what he's doing means he's not being told the full story, management is likely playing things close to their chest so as not to tip their hand around the league and risk getting less than what Sbisa is worth (B Prospect + mid round pick?)

This is putting pressure on management to do what they have to do in order to get him in the lineup.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

That is why the team decided to carry 8 d-men.  Anyways, there will be the usual injuries coming along pretty soon, so I would think those guys will get their chances.

so if the injuries doesn't come till 1/3 or half way thru the season.. they are going to sit them in the press box till then coz they are just an injury insurance? you can't even rotate them in once every few games.. how do you expect them to be game ready when you actually need them? 

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Give him a few games to see how he does. 

Larsen has been gifted a spot so far over Stecher -who out-played him in pre-season -  because of his contract/agreement.  WIth so many games in the last week and a half, what is wrong with resting Sbisa or Larsen? I'm sure some guys could use a rest.

Yeah especially Burr he has sand bags for legs.   Would rather see a pylon out there on the wing.   I love the guy but he is waaay past his due date.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

So if your contract to work in the oil patch says you don't have to go to Fort Mac, and you boss then asks you to go to Fort Mac, you're heading north with bells on? Give me a break. 

For 2 weeks? Sure. Hated Fort Mac, but it's money. If I'm Tryamkin, I go to Utica and get playing time. Then again, I'm not Tryamkin and I don't know what it's like to be a highly paid athlete. Wish I could practice for a professional team and get paid ridiculous amounts of money. 

Archived