Canucks Community

Stating the obvious....

whytelight

3 hours ago, whytelight said:

We're not:

1. Big

2. Sklled

3. Fast

This has pissed me off for a long time.....we have problems dictating and forcing the play.  We're responding to other teams.....not making other teams respond to us.  We might very well go 3-10-2 in the next 15 games.

Well we might very well  go 10-3-2 in the next 15 games!

5 hours ago, whytelight said:

We're not:

1. Big

2. Sklled

3. Fast

This has pissed me off for a long time.....we have problems dictating and forcing the play.  We're responding to other teams.....not making other teams respond to us.  We might very well go 3-10-2 in the next 15 games.

Well imo that's definitely not the Sedins and Edler and that's who play the most minutes that's why we struggle in these types of games. The Sedins have skill but are slow and weak and Edler really has none of those things other than big but he's a weak big guy.

It didn't help that the team looked pretty tired tonight and Miller looked very rusty either.

Really love what I see from this group this season there's going to be nights like this and really the team managed to hang around despite Edler and Miller's poor plays until Edler got worked by Perry to seal it.

Really couldn't ask for more out of the rest of the team considering what they were fighting against and how tired they clearly were and let's give the Ducks some credit they have some great players and we're looking to impress for their home opener.

It's not just about being big though. Ericsson is 6'-2" and 196lbs  but he just doesn't play to his size. Sutter is 6'-3" and 190lbs and while he seems more competitive he doesn't have the weight to throw around.

Tanev is 6'-2 and 195lbs and yet is much less aggressive than Biega at 5'-11 and 200lbs.

Aggression and competitiveness is a state of mind.

I watched the Habs at Boston the other night and Gallagher 5'-9" and 184lbs run the Boston D ragged. They also have a competitive captain in Max Pacioretty who is a good leader  - at one stage in the Boston game taking on 3 Bruins who were attempting to rag doll Gallagher (but who was also holding his own with another Bruin)

I wouldn't say Montreal were bigger than us but they seem to have a way of hounding and keeping after teams and I think we could copy that style.

I think we have decent skill but no high skill allied to size/aggression like some teams have.

I don't think we are slow either. I think we use the players we have and can transition pretty fast up the ice.

For me it comes back to - if you are not taking a physical toll out of the opposition and they are taking it out of you at every chance, you are always going to be at a disadvantage, especially when your team is not particularly high skilled and what high end skill you have, lies with 2 fairly non aggressive forwards.

This weakening through aggression of course becomes more effective if the team is tired and playing back to backs against very physical teams.

My hope is we start drafting these type of players from now on.

I don't know why people are crying about the schedule, it's a compressed one because of the World cup. Lot's of teams are playing these types of games and a lot of them have started on the road as well. Look at the Ducks, that was their home opener almost 2 weeks in. The ORG. and the players have known about it for awhile now and it's going to get worse, 2 this week and a back to back on the weekend and then a long roadie.

It sure didn't take long to start complaining about the team.

Recap:

6 games played - 3 comeback win, 1 comeback OT loss, 1 regulation win and 1 regulation loss... 9 points...  so lets blow it up.

I swear... sometimes

Get out of here.... -1

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

I don't know why people are crying about the schedule, it's a compressed one because of the World cup. Lot's of teams are playing these types of games and a lot of them have started on the road as well. Look at the Ducks, that was their home opener almost 2 weeks in. The ORG. and the players have known about it for awhile now and it's going to get worse, 2 this week and a back to back on the weekend and then a long roadie.

I find it amazing that the Canucks are 4-1-1 DESPITE the schedule.  I don't think people (at least not me) are 'crying' about the schedule.  It's just an EXPLANATION for the drop in the team's play in the last 2 games... the number of shots allowed (vs the limited shots in the first 4 game), the lack of hitting, the mistakes.... It's obvious the guys are gassed.  And I don't blame them.  I give them props for still not giving up.

You would be hard pressed to find 'lots of' teams schedules as bad as ours so far.  Ok, the Ducks had to start on the road.  But that's hardly a comparison.  They played 6 games in 11 days.  They had at least a day in between their first 5 games. They had 2 days of rest before playing the Canucks.  On the other hand, the Nucks have played 6 in 9, including 2 back to backs and 4 games that went to OT.  And by the way, the Ducks did lose 4 of their first 5.  So it shows that a lousy schedule does affect the performance of a team.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived