The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelly Ellard About to be a New Mommy

nucklehead

18 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Not sure you're thinking this through.  Even if the right to conjugal visits were stripped from her, if she somehow managed to become pregnant while in prison, what then?  Her reproductive rights are guaranteed by the constitution in AND out of prison.  Or is that too left winger for you?

When you go to prison you lose rights and privileges.  What is the purpose of prisons any way?    The whole system is rotten.

I thought no left winger can explain it away.   I guess I was wrong.  They use the constitution argument.

On 10/24/2016 at 6:29 PM, DonLever said:

Besides the obvious question, why are inmates are allowed to make babies while in prison, who is going to for the raising of the baby.  The feeding and the diapers, etc, while BOTH parents are in jail.

Of course, everyone knows the answer: you and me, the taxpayers.

Also,  where are the left wingers on this issue?  How are they going to explain this one away?

Shouldn't you just be happy that outrageous claims aren't being made, instead of trying to antagonize? If two sides take the same position, isn't that a good thing?

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

He is dead(thankfully). But I said earlier those visits shouldn't be allowed especially in murder convictions. Jail is a punishment and should stay that way.

Jails should be about rehabilitation too.  Otherwise, we're holding criminals for a set amount of time until they can re-offend again.

This news is sensational, sure, but it's not as if prisons are becoming baby factories.  There is no epidemic here.  That fact that Ellard is pregnant is less than ideal, but I'm sure a suitable care plan will be made for this child.  People on here are acting as if the spirit of Jack Layton impregnated Ellard in order to cause people grief.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jails should be about rehabilitation too.  Otherwise, we're holding criminals for a set amount of time until they can re-offend again.

This news is sensational, sure, but it's not as if prisons are becoming baby factories.  There is no epidemic here.  That fact that Ellard is pregnant is less than ideal, but I'm sure a suitable care plan will be made for this child.  People on here are acting as if the spirit of Jack Layton impregnated Ellard in order to cause people grief.

You're right, rehabilitation is very important.

43 minutes ago, DonLever said:

When you go to prison you lose rights and privileges.  What is the purpose of prisons any way?    The whole system is rotten.

I thought no left winger can explain it away.   I guess I was wrong.  They use the constitution argument.

To dismiss reproductive rights as guaranteed by the Charter without much of an argument shows a level of ignorance.  To simply say the whole system of rotten wreaks like someone who doesn't think things through.  If you think prisons aren't around for good reason well then you must really be out in left field.  

I'm not 'explaining away' anything.  It's coming to grips with the realities of our norms and legal framework.  By no means is it a perfect mix, and it would be naive of you to think so.  

You simply can't hold peoples hand when it comes to their choices.  Ellard seems to be one of those people.  

Archived