The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Joe LaBate suspended 3 games

Ossi Vaananen

The Release:

The American Hockey League today announced the following suspensions:

Utica Comets forward Joseph LaBate has been suspended for three (3) games as a consequence of a match penalty for an illegal check to the head of an opponent, assessed in a game at Albany on Oct. 22.

LaBate will miss Utica’s games Wednesday (Oct. 26) vs. Binghamton, Friday (Oct. 28) vs. Providence and Saturday (Oct. 29) at Hartford.

Cleveland Monsters forward Brett Gallant has been suspended for three (3) games as a consequence of an illegal check to the head of an opponent in a game at Grand Rapids on Oct. 22.

Gallant was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline). He will miss Cleveland’s games Tuesday (Oct. 25) at Iowa, Thursday (Oct. 27) vs. San Antonio and Friday (Oct. 28) vs. San Antonio.

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Here's the hit:

Cannot tell if it was slowed down or not, but from that speed that angle it looks a little specious.  but is still obviously a head shot.  Surely wasn't as hard of a check as what Archi delivered without any penalty from the league...

hockey

Too bad, he was probably looking at a call up with Dorsett and Burrows out

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Cannot tell if it was slowed down or not, but from that speed that angle it looks a little specious.  but is still obviously a head shot.  Surely wasn't as hard of a check as what Archi delivered without any penalty from the league...

hockey

Too bad, he was probably looking at a call up with Dorsett and Burrows out

I love that hit so much, all shoulder hit that spun him around like a top

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Can't believe so many want him on the team.

What I saw from the preseason is a guy that would take lots of dumb penalties. Case in point.

I like the fact he would have players on the opposite side taking 2 looks back and wondering instead of looking back and expecting a hug into the boards. Yes he is a duel edge knife with a sharp spur on the handle but some times you have to bleed a little. 

but that's just how my mind operates 

Didn't look like a malicious throw of his shoulder. He didn't lean into the hit like the Raffi one.

It was actually a fly by that clipped buddy's chin. 

It does look like a zero tolerance type call.

Maybe he should have just hit him and followed through on a body checkinstead.

Archived