The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 Draft 6th overall Pick Poll

Ichiban604

repicking the 6th overall for the Canucks.  

269 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i know it's early.. but early signs points to 2014 as being one of the worse draft year in canucks history lol.. with multiple first round picks failing so far early in the career to show any signs of life or progress.. Early signs pointing to Virtanen not going to pan out.. and McCann whom we got rid of is doing jack sh!t in Florida.. we passed up on Pastrnak for McCann.. and we passed up on a whole bunch of Virtanen.. Doesn't look to me JB is as good of a scout as ppl think.. all he has to show so far is Boeser who's dominating in the NCAA which is great.. let's hope he can transition into the big league.. 

LOL is right...making rash assessments of 20 year olds at this very early stage can wind up making you look very foolish...Virtanen looked really good at the end of last year,and now your saying he's not going to pan out after 10 measly games (playing 7 mins a game)...holy impatient or what?...

McCann still needs to physically grow,I think he will be a player in a few years..but he got us a top four D..so there we are.

25 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

LOL is right...making rash assessments of 20 year olds at this very early stage can wind up making you look very foolish...Virtanen looked really good at the end of last year,and now your saying he's not going to pan out after 10 measly games (playing 7 mins a game)...holy impatient or what?...

McCann still needs to physically grow,I think he will be a player in a few years..but he got us a top four D..so there we are.

his play on ice doesn't warrant him to have more than what he is getting now.. he was like that the entire year last year.. show glimpse here and there and then disappear for long stretches.. it's not making rash assessment.. i can careless if he ain't getting any points or anything if he showed even any signs of progress.. which he hasn't.. he'd barely shown any progress since his draft year.. he was injured coming into training camp and then went back to the hitmen.. for his size and physicality you'd expect him to dominate the WHL.. yet his goals per game went down.. though his assist went up.. but overall he'd made no improvement to his production which you'd expect from someone as talented and as physically as he is... and in recent 10 years of nhl drafts.. most top 10 picks makes an impact within the first 3 years of draft with the exception of goalies and defenseman.. or they end up as a bottom 6 or not even in the NHL at all.. 

If his plays warrant more minutes? he'll get more minutes.. I didn't see Hutton as a rookie last year not playing.. i didn't see Stetcher not getting minutes in his couple games when he got called up.. it's nothing to do with the coach not giving him minutes.. it's what he's doing on the ice that doesn't earn the trust of the coaches to give him more minutes

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

his play on ice doesn't warrant him to have more than what he is getting now.. he was like that the entire year last year.. show glimpse here and there and then disappear for long stretches.. it's not making rash assessment.. i can careless if he ain't getting any points or anything if he showed even any signs of progress.. which he hasn't.. he'd barely shown any progress since his draft year.. he was injured coming into training camp and then went back to the hitmen.. for his size and physicality you'd expect him to dominate the WHL.. yet his goals per game went down.. though his assist went up.. but overall he'd made no improvement to his production which you'd expect from someone as talented and as physically as he is... and in recent 10 years of nhl drafts.. most top 10 picks makes an impact within the first 3 years of draft with the exception of goalies and defenseman.. or they end up as a bottom 6 or not even in the NHL at all.

If his plays warrant more minutes? he'll get more minutes.. I didn't see Hutton as a rookie last year not playing.. i didn't see Stetcher not getting minutes in his couple games when he got called up.. it's nothing to do with the coach not giving him minutes.. it's what he's doing on the ice that doesn't earn the trust of the coaches to give him more minutes

1 1 Florida Aaron Ekblad D Barrie Colts [OHL] 170 29 48 77 83 2016-17
1 2 Buffalo Sam Reinhart C Kootenay Ice [WHL] 98 24 24 48 12 2016-17
1 3 Edmonton Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert Raiders [WHL] 120 23 43 66 26 2016-17
1 4 Calgary Sam Bennett C Kingston Frontenacs [OHL] 90 21 23 44 61 2016-17
1 5 NY Islanders Michael Dal Colle L Oshawa Generals [OHL]            
1 6 Vancouver Jake Virtanen R Calgary Hitmen [WHL] 64 7 7 14 47 2016-17
1 7 Carolina Haydn Fleury D Red Deer Rebels [WHL]            
1 8 Toronto William Nylander C MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SweHL] 33 10 14 24 8 2016-17
1 9 Winnipeg Nikolaj Ehlers L Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL] 83 17 25 42 29 2016-17
1 10 Anaheim Nick Ritchie L Peterborough Petes [OHL] 43 4 3 7 45 2016-17

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:
1 1 Florida Aaron Ekblad D Barrie Colts [OHL] 170 29 48 77 83 2016-17
1 2 Buffalo Sam Reinhart C Kootenay Ice [WHL] 98 24 24 48 12 2016-17
1 3 Edmonton Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert Raiders [WHL] 120 23 43 66 26 2016-17
1 4 Calgary Sam Bennett C Kingston Frontenacs [OHL] 90 21 23 44 61 2016-17
1 5 NY Islanders Michael Dal Colle L Oshawa Generals [OHL]            
1 6 Vancouver Jake Virtanen R Calgary Hitmen [WHL] 64 7 7 14 47 2016-17
1 7 Carolina Haydn Fleury D Red Deer Rebels [WHL]            
1 8 Toronto William Nylander C MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SweHL] 33 10 14 24 8 2016-17
1 9 Winnipeg Nikolaj Ehlers L Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL] 83 17 25 42 29 2016-17
1 10 Anaheim Nick Ritchie L Peterborough Petes [OHL] 43 4 3 7 45 2016-17

ya ur point?? top 10 either makes an impact within their first couples years or not at all.. everyone of those u listed is having some success except virtanen Ritchie and Fleury who's a D and i already said it takes longer to develop

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya ur point?? top 10 either makes an impact within their first couples years or not at all.. everyone of those u listed is having some success except virtanen Ritchie and Fleury who's a D and i already said it takes longer to develop

My point is that Jake is not playing big minutes on any 1st or 2nd line...Also,he's never going to outscore Nylander or Ehlers..he's a power forward,there are more intangibles to his game (Its a marathon,not a sprint) ...The players drafted before him and after him haven't even played a game in the NHL yet.............chill..

On 10/24/2016 at 10:00 PM, 1-d said:

At the time JV was almost consensual choice among the media and fans alike. It would have been a treachery to go with anyone else. He has size, speed and goal scoring abilities -- all of which Canucks were so lacking (and still are).

Had we passed on him, I believe whichever team that picked Virtanen would have a top 6 winger in their lineup by now. I don't have faith in this mgmt & coaching staff's philosophy and Jake's development path has been inconsistently zig zagging at best. 

Not every young player is built to follow the exact same growth pattern, but hey, what do I know... I'm just another one of those ignorant fans. ^_^

That's some revisionist history there. Here were the poll number son this board at the time of the draft:

The numbers I'd actually say were skewed in favour on JV because it wasn't closed until I believe after he was already picked. I recall back then that Nylander was #1 and Ehlers was #2. The numbers now still show Nylanders on top.

On 2016-10-24 at 3:17 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

Wait about three mores years and then I'll tell you...

This is not a 3 more year thread, this is now. Anyone can time who is better 3 years later, just like everyone can tell who is the better prospect from the draft right now. Do you really think Benning will draft Virtenan after seeing his sample size the past year and the team in this current state?

On 11/6/2016 at 0:09 AM, Ichiban604 said:

This is not a 3 more year thread, this is now. Anyone can time who is better 3 years later, just like everyone can tell who is the better prospect from the draft right now. Do you really think Benning will draft Virtenan after seeing his sample size the past year and the team in this current state?

My point is that players are not drafted for what they can do in year one and year two after being drafted. they are usually always drafted based on their career outlook, some players take longer to get to the point where they can be reliable contributors which is why I said "wait about another three years and I'll tell you". IMO this thread is premature and unfair to Virtanen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-11-08 at 9:15 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

My point is that players are not drafted for what they can do in year one and year two after being drafted. they are usually always drafted based on their career outlook, some players take longer to get to the point where they can be reliable contributors which is why I said "wait about another three years and I'll tell you". IMO this thread is premature and unfair to Virtanen.

I agree. My point is we could have drafted someone who could help us now like a Nylander that we past off. So far Nylander been one of Leafs best players and it sure looks like he will become a top 6 forward. Where Jake, not helping us now and not even sure if he will become a top 6. Isn't that enough to say we picked the wrong person? I will take a sure top 6 forward who developes within 1-2 years over a 3-5 years project anytime. After tonight's lost, we will become the last place team in the league. That's enough for me to say Jake is not the ideal pick. Not even showing up in AHL. Young players with Half of Jakes skill set can help this team. Maturity and work habits have more of an impact then a local boy with skill, a local boy who hangs out with Justin Bieber!

Archived