The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to introduce Star Trek to my son

SophiaL

I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was a kid, I remember repeats of the original series and then going to the cinema to see the films, which followed to falling in love with the Next Generation show and films.

I'm looking at introducing my son to the franchise as a whole but not sure where to start. My gut feeling is to do what I did with Star Wars which is head for the middle (Episode IV A New Hope) in this case the original series films but start with Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan. My thinking is if a start with the newer films he will find the older films slow and boring, however I do worry that he may still find them slow and boring and not want to watch any others. Or should I move onto the Next Generation films as they are a little bit more up to date? Or would it be best to start with the TV series so he knows who the characters are, however I think it would be best to watch the films then let him watch the TV shows if he wants to fill in the history?

Peoples opinions please.

I don't know.  You could sit him down in front of the TV and the both of you watch Star Trek.  A total bonding moment. Not to change the subject, my niece really likes Hockey, and it was a total bonding moment when we kicked back the rugs in my living room and played hockey and shooting pucks against the door. She couldn't believe when her parents wouldn't let her kick back the rugs in the living room at her home, and she said that she got to do that at auntie Brilac's.  And they probably loved it when I mailed the the hockey sticks and a puck for her to play.

Does your son show an interest in space? If not, I would try to expose him to general outer space things first. If he shows interest in space, then he'll likely be intrigued by a show that takes place in space and you won't need to force the show on him as much.

Archived