The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 Expansion Draft - early predictions

canucks411

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Pretty much.  Every team in the league will have players left exposed, so there's bound to be some better choices than what the Canucks have on the table.  In the end, the team will lose 1 player; (Sbisa, Biega or Gaunce ) which won't hurt the team that much.

That said, I think Hansen will be traded (unfortunately) at the deadline if they need to protect an extra player).  The only teams that will be bringing in new players are the contenders (who wouldn't want Hansen for a cup run?); all the other teams will be trying to get something for players that they can't protect.   

Not sure why you believe we will lose one of those three players specifically. It looks like we will only be able to protect one of Hansen, Granlund, Gaunce and Rodin amongst our forwards so I am not sure why you list only Gaunce.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks will have a tough decision not only this expansion draft but the next one too.  Especially on Defence.

Heh, that's a good problem to have.  Means you have lots of players worth protecting. :P

11 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The last time we sold at the trade deadline (I can't even really recall) I had a full head of hair. I don't know why but win or lose we just don't trade players away for picks at the deadline. It's either player for player, or we buy players with picks. We would have to be in that 65 point range everyone predicted for us to be trading players for picks. I honestly wonder if the Aquilini ownership is related to this cause it's not like we haven't had the opportunities. 

Maybe.  But the expansion draft changes the parameter.  I can't see JB giving away Hansen like some people are suggesting, but on the other hand, they may want to hang onto one of the unprotected players.  Of course it's too early to tell if any of these players will be worth protecting (at the expense of losing Honey Badger).

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Not sure why you believe we will lose one of those three players specifically. It looks like we will only be able to protect one of Hansen, Granlund, Gaunce and Rodin amongst our forwards so I am not sure why you list only Gaunce.

Protected: Sedin, Sedin, Erik, Bo, Baer, Sutts, Hansen

Rodin will be an UFA

Trade Hansen protect  either Granny or Gaunce; whomever looks to be the best player.

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe.  But the expansion draft changes the parameter.  I can't see JB giving away Hansen like some people are suggesting, but on the other hand, they may want to hang onto one of the unprotected players.  Of course it's too early to tell if any of these players will be worth protecting (at the expense of losing Honey Badger).

Protected: Sedin, Sedin, Erik, Bo, Baer, Sutts, Hansen

Rodin will be an UFA

Trade Hansen protect  either Granny or Gaunce; whomever looks to be the best player.

I believe Rodin will be a RFA but, in any event, he will be available to be picked by Las Vegas whether he is a RFA or UFA. Vegas is only mandated to select at least 20 players currently under contract as per the published draft rules.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I believe Rodin will be a RFA but, in any event, he will be available to be picked by Las Vegas whether he is a RFA or UFA. Vegas is only mandated to select at least 20 players currently under contract as per the published draft rules.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season

Rodin will be a UFA - he is still marked as an RFA but it's unlikely that he will be able to play 80 NHL games this season.  

He's in the same situation as Kenins - three years under an NHL contract (this is the 3rd year) and needs to have played 80 NHL games at age 25 to remain an RFA.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Rodin will be a UFA - he is still marked as an RFA but it's unlikely that he will be able to play 80 NHL games this season.  

He's in the same situation as Kenins - three years under an NHL contract (this is the 3rd year) and needs to have played 80 NHL games at age 25 to remain an RFA.

Good catch. Guess the only way he will not be  UFA is if he is re-signed before they submit their protected list.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

This^^^^

all the info about how this works is all very easy to find and understand.  

OP doesn't have any grasp on it, and threads like this send the less informed people into a frenzy of ignorance.  

Games played, plays a huge role in who you have to protect.  

We will walk out of this fine.  

True that^^^.  It's the ignorant leading the ignorant...the blind leading the blind.  

At worst, the Canucks will lose one player in the expansion draft.  The players of consequence that will be exposed are as laid out succinctly by Forsberg.  Not much to get to worried about, other than having to choose between Hansen and Granlund.  My guess is that the Canucks are going to lose either Sbisa OR Dorsett (i.e., the type of players that traditionally have appealed to expansion teams).  

Forwards:

Daniel, Henrik, Eriksson must be protected.

Sutter, Horvat have too much value and will be protected.

That leaves two players to be protected from Baertschi, Granlund, Hansen, Rodin, and Gaunce.

Defence:

Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson. Hutton and Tryamkin are exempt.

So Sbisa, Larsen, Biega will be unprotected.

Goalie:

Bachman

If we are not going to keep Hansen, we should trade him and get some value. But I would like us to keep him. He brings so much speed that just is hard to replace. Unless Granlund completely outperforms Baertschi, I think it's Baertschi that does not get protected. Gaunce will also be exposed.

Ideally, they take Sbisa or Larsen.

Every team must loose 1 player to this expansion draft. It all depends on who the Knights take from other teams. I think picking from the Canucks roster is low on the Knights list of teams to pick from right now, but it all depends on how good our season is. 

people overlook the tried and true method to ensure a player you are forced to expose is not selected

a draft pick can be sent to the new las vegas franchise to not pick hansen/granlund if either need to be exposed

this has been the most frequent method to keeping all the players you wish despite an expansion draft happening

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Given they HAVE to pick 20 players under contract, leaving a few guys as RFA/UFA until after the expansion draft will offer some level of protection. Gaunce and Rodin would all fall under that category so don't expect them to be re-signed before the draft.

I still think one of Baer/Granlund/Rodin is gone via trade at some point anyway...

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The last time we sold at the trade deadline (I can't even really recall) I had a full head of hair. I don't know why but win or lose we just don't trade players away for picks at the deadline. It's either player for player, or we buy players with picks. We would have to be in that 65 point range everyone predicted for us to be trading players for picks. I honestly wonder if the Aquilini ownership is related to this cause it's not like we haven't had the opportunities. 

Was it when we traded Mogilny to Devils for BMO and.... Was it Peterson?

The defence list is pretty easy: 

we protect Edler, Tanev & Gudbranson. Trade Sbisa (or leave him unprotected), give Biega 20-odd games this season so he meets our qualification criteria and leave him unprotected. We don't need to protect Hutton or Tryamkin. This leaves us exposing Larsen, Biega & Pedan (who we will extend).

In the forwards, the thing is more complicated than it looks, but these guys are definitely going to be protected:
Sedin, Sedin, Horvat,Erickson, Hansen & Sutter.

The last slot is likely going to be Baertschi, but it will come down to Baertschi, Granlund & Gaunce. 

We will definitely expose Dorsett and two of the above 3.

Either way, its most likely going to be one of Larsen, Granlund & Gaunce picked, with my bet being Larsen.

i wouldnt worry bout expansion  alot of trades will happen on teams that dont wanna lose certain assets    if im benning  i trade burrows,  miller at deadline for max values even if they have to retain cap this season 

burrows and miller money next yr go to horvat, hutton and guddy extensions 

tanev, hansen, sbisa, granlund, gaunce, baetchi,  rodin, dorsett  - two to three of these guys could be packaged  for a 30-40 goal scorer 

next season          sedin sedin eriksson

sniper  horvat boeser

rodin sutter virtanen

labate gaunce dorsett 

granlund

edler stecher

hutton guddy

juolevi tryamkin

pedan

miller

demko or ufa backup 

what kinda sniper  and young d right handed d prospect  can we get for hansen tanev baertchi package

lose one of sbisa  or dorsett or biega or granlund to expansion 

Archived