The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Here's Why Canuck Fans Should be Concerned

LaBamba

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Even the best defense in the history of hockey doesn't win until you score.  Defense does win games, and championships.  Just because Canucks play a defensive style doesn't mean other teams don't too, and happen to have better forwards than we do. 

Troll. We lost because Toronto. 

5 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Is it too early to have that great debate from last season? You know the one where I said Offense wins games and I got ganged up on? Are you trying to tell me that Defense wins games...still?

It would be really cool if we could score some goals...and sometimes more than the other team...that would be cool too!

And as for the "we need to trade all the vets for youth"...well, as has been stated THOUSANDS of times, we can't. We're stuck with them. And on a team where 2 senior citizens are still our leading scorers, see point 1 above.

I think our biggest problems on here (as fans) are jealousy and lack of appreciation. We see other teams who have been crappy for years start to emerge and we think "why didn't WE follow that same path (tanking for picks)"...well we didn't. We picked our path (or rather had it dictated to us)...win at all costs (including the future)...and here is the end result. We were happy when we won PCs, when our players were winning awards, when we were legit SC contenders but now when it's time to "pay the piper" for all that success, we're not too happy about it.

I still enjoy being a Canucks fan...been one for 4+ decades...we've been here before and we'll crawl back out...and then we'll be back again. Ebb and Flow in the cap/FA era. To be positive I'd say, look at all the negative things that surround our franchise (right from the first draft lottery) and yet we've enjoyed some fantastic highs (Bure, Linden 1982, 1994, 2011, WCE, Sedins, Louuuuu, Olympics etc etc etc)...so I choose to focus on the good and ride out the bad. Just my philosophy on life and sport. Hey, I'm also a Blue Jays, BC Lions and San Diego Chargers fan soooo....

A definite 'lack of appreciation' for how fast management can rebuild/retool....Especially when you consider the lack of players that we drafted 2007-13 (and we paid an astronomical price to get Horvat)....It does not matter which management group we have right now..the results would pretty much be the same...and the 'whining' would still be prevalent.

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Kakanucks said:

Where were all the articles when we were 4-0 and the only team undefeated.

Once we lose a few and all of a sudden breakdown of our team performance is left and right. <_<

Probably because most realistic and intelligent fans knew that 4-0 was a mirage and not sustainable. I'm guessing 

21 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

A definite 'lack of appreciation' for how fast management can rebuild/retool....Especially when you consider the lack of players that we drafted 2007-13 (and we paid an astronomical price to get Horvat)....It does not matter which management group we have right now..the results would pretty much be the same...and the 'whining' would still be prevalent.

I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp? Rebuilds take time. Freaking out over the 'results' when we can't possibly know what the rebuild results will actually be for another 3+ years is just silly. 

People get far too hung up (and misunderstand) on this 'be competitive' mantra. I've even had a moment of weakness or two with it. 

Management in no way thinks we're contenders. Have we, for the most part, been in every game? Kept it close? And (other than a couple of stinkers where the guy's were clearly tired) been 'hard to play against'?

That's all they mean by 'be competitive'. If we can score some goals, and play good D while getting good goal tending, we'll win enough games to likely make the playoffs or close to. If any of those falter (as our goal scoring presently is), we'll probably finish closer to 10th. If they all falter and/or we have key, long term injuries, top 10.

We're presently, at best, a middling team. We're going to lose games. Why are people freaking out at every little, minor thing? 

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp? Rebuilds take time. Freaking out over the 'results' when we can't possibly know what the rebuild results will actually be for another 3+ years is just silly. 

People get far too hung up (and misunderstand) on this 'be competitive' mantra. I've even had a moment of weakness or two with it. 

Management in no way thinks we're contenders. Have we, for the most part, been in every game? Kept it close? And (other than a couple of stinkers where the guy's were clearly tired) been 'hard to play against'?

That's all they mean by 'be competitive'. If we can score some goals, and play good D while getting good goal tending, we'll win enough games to likely make the playoffs or close to. If any of those falter (as our goal scoring presently is), we'll probably finish closer to 10th. If they all falter and/or we have key, long term injuries, top 10.

We're presently, at best, a middling team. We're going to lose games. Why are people freaking out at every little, minor thing? 

Yep.  

Being competitive means playing games that mean something to both teams.  That's the environment that Benning wants to develop players in.  It's also the time when you can really get a good evaluation of players.

Remember during the Tort's year when Kassian scored a bunch of goals after the Canucks had been eliminated?  As far a Benning was concerned, this didn't matter because there was nothing on the line.

Remember when Shawn Matthias scored 18 goals in 2014-15?  Benning wasn't signing him because he pulled a disappearing act in the stretch run.  When the games counted the most.

everything the critics said is true.. this team is old and slow and has no star power and trades yourth and picks and over pays free agents. its mind boggling...quite depressing to be a fan, luckily edmonton is pretty exiciting now.

did we have a chance at william nylander? the tiny guy who has 11 points right now? ... did we pick jake instead?

On 27 October 2016 at 6:09 PM, LaBamba said:

It's pretty black and white. It's not really suggestive material IMO but of course everyone is going to take it as an attack on the west by Toronto. 

I appreciate the point you are making. 

However, for the last 40 years I have been cheering for the Canucks and the eastern media have regularly run down the Canucks. It is as consistent as the rain which falls in Vancouver most days between mid Nov and mid Feb. 

Even when the Canucks were in the SCF vs the Bruins, the eastern media was cheering for Boston/ undermining the Canucks. That was a tough pill to swallow. 

I can only control one thing with certainty, my own actions. If Toronto/ MTL/ Sens/ Oilers/ Flames/ Jets make the finals I will be cheering for them (genuinely) in hopes the eastern media will wake up and notice that not everyone is as small minded as they are. 

I appreciate this article makes some good points which are valid, but at the same time, if the rain is constantly falling my choice is to grab an umbrella and avoid most of it. 

3 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

everything the critics said is true.. this team is old and slow and has no star power and trades yourth and picks and over pays free agents. its mind boggling...quite depressing to be a fan, luckily edmonton is pretty exiciting now.

did we have a chance at william nylander? the tiny guy who has 11 points right now? ... did we pick jake instead?

I don't know if this team is that old or that slow, and who cares how exciting Edmonton is.  This is a Canucks forum, bud.  But totally agree that it's depressing, the direction the team is taking.  And if you're of the opinion that a 'real rebuild' needs to take place.  Then not only will the rebuild take years, but it's still years from starting in the first place.  That's a scary thought. 

6 minutes ago, Scottish_Canuck said:

9.2 MSS per game for the Leafs, the 27th placed team right now. All those MSS are translating into points I see...Travis Yorst's articles about pointless stats are not worth reading. 

Looks like someone needs to learn what correlation and causation is. 

On 10/30/2016 at 0:11 PM, Crabcakes said:

Yep.  

Being competitive means playing games that mean something to both teams.  That's the environment that Benning wants to develop players in.  It's also the time when you can really get a good evaluation of players.

Remember during the Tort's year when Kassian scored a bunch of goals after the Canucks had been eliminated?  As far a Benning was concerned, this didn't matter because there was nothing on the line.

Remember when Shawn Matthias scored 18 goals in 2014-15?  Benning wasn't signing him because he pulled a disappearing act in the stretch run.  When the games counted the most.

I had forgot about old Shawn. Didn't it happen the other way around? Benning said he wasn't going to sign Matthias, then old Shawn went in the tank?

If so this is a recurring theme with JB.  He seems to really believe in the "Contract year provides motivated players" theory, even though he has been slapped by Matthias, Vrbata and Hamhius. Jim might need to rethink this motivational tool.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I had forgot about old Shawn. Didn't it happen the other way around? Benning said he wasn't going to sign Matthias, then old Shawn went in the tank?

If so this is a recurring theme with JB.  He seems to really believe in the "Contract year provides motivated players" theory, even though he has been slapped by Matthias, Vrbata and Hamhius. Jim might need to rethink this motivational tool.

Benning does seem to put off making decisions until he has to.  It's like he wants to keep the balls in the air in case other opportunities come up.

When Benning said that he wasn't going to sign these guys before the end of the season, I don't think he had decided.  I can see how this could be confusing to people.  

I don't know why he has done this.  On the other hand, he signed Sutter, Dorsett and Miller to more term, and more money than anybody expected.  He also offered these contracts very early.

So in some cases, he has been very decisive and in others he puts decisions off.  It's like when he's sure about something, he's very sure and he'll overpay.  When he's not, its wait and see and he signs a lot of 1 year contracts.

If guys like Baertschi, Eriksson, and Rodin were all scoring right now I don't think anyone would be worried about offense. We could very well be 6-2-1 with a couple more goals from certain players.

Right now we have a bunch of slow starters. If they get going it won't be so bad, just gotta be patient.

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning does seem to put off making decisions until he has to.  It's like he wants to keep the balls in the air in case other opportunities come up.

When Benning said that he wasn't going to sign these guys before the end of the season, I don't think he had decided.  I can see how this could be confusing to people.  

I don't know why he has done this.  On the other hand, he signed Sutter, Dorsett and Miller to more term, and more money than anybody expected.  He also offered these contracts very early.

So in some cases, he has been very decisive and in others he puts decisions off.  It's like when he's sure about something, he's very sure and he'll overpay.  When he's not, its wait and see and he signs a lot of 1 year contracts.

do you mean me, or  Vrbata, Hammy and Matthias?

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

do you mean me, or  Vrbata, Hammy and Matthias?

All of the above.  It was a general comment though.  Not directed at you.

I've been thinking a little more about this and I agree with you that motivation has something to do with it but there may be more to how Benning is thinking.  I think this is a little better:

1.  If he is sure about a player, he is very sure and he will overpay in terms of the assets given up or in terms of value or term of the contract offered.  Examples, Sutter, Eriksson, Miller, Dorsett.

2.  If he is undecided about a player, he may sign them for only one year.  It's really a "show me" contract.  Then, as the year progresses, if he is still undecided, he won't sign or make a decision until the last possible moment.  He wants to see more (motivate) or keep his options open for other opportunities come up.   It is possible that he offers another 1 year contract if there is not a better alternative.

Benning really doesn't have to explain himself, but it could be very unsettling to some players (Vrbata) and they may not react well.  Hamhuis had the character to continue playing well but after the Gudbranson signing, he was out of the picture too.   The Guddy trade took me totally by surprise.  Before that, I thought he would re-sign Hamhuis.  

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If guys like Baertschi, Eriksson, and Rodin were all scoring right now I don't think anyone would be worried about offense. We could very well be 6-2-1 with a couple more goals from certain players.

Right now we have a bunch of slow starters. If they get going it won't be so bad, just gotta be patient.

that's only because both our goalies are playing lights out.. if their plays drops back to average.. those 1 or 2 goals won't help... nowadays to win in the NHL you need to score close to 3 goals per game.. even if those players starts to score a goal here and there.. how many nights do you see us scoring that many goals? keep in mind we played 3 backup goalies already during these 9 games.. Calgary/Carolina/Washington.. we scored 7 goals on them.. and 4 was from carolina's epic collapse.. so really 3 goals in 2 against 2 backup goalies and we also played 2 of the worse teams in goals against Calgary/Ottawa.. we managed 1 goal in regulation.. so toss in couple extra goals here and there.. those numbers are still not respectable and borderline horrendous

I'm not overly concerned yet. I didn't expect that we would have a high octane offence this year.

I find it pretty hilarious that the Laffs dig up stats to help them forget that they pissed away a whole bunch to acquire their goalie of the future this summer

Then as soon as he dons the leaf colors he proceeds to shat the bed. 

His save percentage is what? .850?

Digest that stat for the next 5 years.

Johnny Bower must be spinning in his grave.

Archived