The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Here's Why Canuck Fans Should be Concerned

LaBamba

Btw LaBamba - your premise regarding possession and injuries:

Dorsett was injured throwing a hit in the ozone.

Burrows was rammed from behind into the boards.

Tanev had a freak fall and spun into the boards.

Nothing to do with possession.  You'll have to consult the baumermann 'analytics' of luck lol to try to assign some kind of team-building meaning/failure to this.

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Focus on what the article is saying though. How can anyone argue the leafs don't sustain more pressure in the offensive zone is beyond me.

Answer my question - how many of these MSS have the Leafs conceded in their multiple collapses and losses?

It's a two way game.   That should be patently obvious to anyone who isn't an absolute noob.

Are we supposed to believe that MSS (for) - an important qualifier btw - is an underlying indicator that the Leafs have reached elite status?

Hard to believe that people swallow this drivel - simplitstic, reductive, cherry picked drivel - that is passed off as 'analytics'.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Mmmmm.....s,  if forgot the s lol.

I laughed when I read that we should watch a Canucks game and we'll see what he's talking about.

Did you see the first game of the season by any chance?  Does that count as a Canucks' game?

Near two minute shift resuliting in the tying goal.  Another Sedin "the shift" - leading to a series of comeback wins.  Cycle game has disappeared though, right.

Such troll hyperbole.

7 games in 11 nights to start the season, (the usual NHL schedule troll job) and the trolls at TSN had to wait until game 7 to find their opportunity.

Jost is bitter because he's looked like such an utter fool - with his (and his equally pretentious sidekick Cullen's) ridiculous assessments of the Gudbranson, Weber/Subban and Larsson deals.

His 'analytics' are a simpleton joke - and he's getting exposed for the fact he has no idea what he's talking about - no idea how to evaluate defensive players.  The newest attempt is pathetic - small sample, cherry-picked MMS.... or MBS....

I like this team - they're not going to win or come back every night, but they're headed in the right direction.

Yes, I understand that you believe Toronto is out to get us and let's say you are 100% correct. Now what? This isn't something that started happening this season. 

I was and still am very pleased with our start. However, when I read this article it only confirms what I subconsciously felt while watching these games. I thought to myself "maybe that is why these games seem so damn borring" there is no chances on either end. The most exciting part of the season so far was that cycle you speak of. That kind of pressure just hasn't been consistent.  

Just now, oldnews said:

Answer my question - how many of these MSS have the Leafs conceded in their multiple collapses and losses?

It's a two way game.   That should be patently obvious to anyone who isn't an absolute noob.

Are we supposed to believe that MSS (for) - an important qualifier btw - is an underlying indicator that the Leafs have reached elite status?

Hard to believe that people swallow this drivel - simplitstic, reductive, cherry picked drivel - that is passed off as 'analytics'.

Didnt I explain that in the part of my post you cut out? 

I think that the majority of reasonable Canucks are under no illusions.  This team is weak, the Sedins are old and offence is going to be an issue for the foreseeable future, extending into the coming seasons.  I read that article and think to myself “no s#!t”.   There are hard times ahead for Canucks fans, nothing new for long-time, long suffering loyalists.  The sad fact is the rest of the league’s media almost busts a nut telling us how much we suck.

Here's what Canucks fans should be concerned about:

that the stupidity of the Toronto (and Vancouver) media rub off on them.

Protect yourselves folks - with some critical thinking of your own - so you don't get dumbed down to TSN or Botchford lows.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Btw LaBamba - your premise regarding possession and injuries:

Dorsett was injured throwing a hit in the ozone.

Burrows was rammed from behind into the boards.

Tanev had a freak fall and spun into the boards.

Nothing to do with possession.  You'll have to consult the baumermann 'analytics' of luck lol to try to assign some kind of team-building meaning/failure to this.

Teams that defend are teams that get injuries. It's a contact sport you are going to get injuries everywhere but over the corse of the year playing in your own zone is taxing. What do you think is easier on your body? The PP or PK? 

It is obvious we need scoring.  I said that even before we were the only lossless team, that this was not sustainable, and our top line needed to get going.

That all remains true, but the rest of our team does as well. 

By all rights, we have a lineup that should have decent scoring prowess throughout the entire lineup.  Yet, somehow, this team looks even worse than last year.  I just don't get it.  We have a few young guys who are a year older now, but not much production.  We have players like Burrows down on the 4th where he belongs, but still not much threat.  We have the Sedins finally with a guy who they have had chemistry with in the past and who is a big step up from last year's Vrbata, but nothing.

Honestly, I have no idea what it will take to ignite these forward lines, but we better get on it soon.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Didnt I explain that in the part of my post you cut out? 

How could you?

Do you have the numbers?

And your point was to claim that the Canucks would lead the league in surrendered MSS.

What I'm saying is the Leafs likely lead both categories - for and against - which is the elementary counterpoint to that pathetic troll job or Yost's.

Did you see the shot totals the Canucks allowed - it was game 5 or 6 before they gave up 30 in a game.

Not sure you've been paying as much attention to the games as you are the TrollSportsNetwork.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Yes, I understand that you believe Toronto is out to get us and let's say you are 100% correct. Now what? This isn't something that started happening this season. 

I was and still am very pleased with our start. However, when I read this article it only confirms what I subconsciously felt while watching these games. I thought to myself "maybe that is why these games seem so damn borring" there is no chances on either end. The most exciting part of the season so far was that cycle you speak of. That kind of pressure just hasn't been consistent.  

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think everyone knew we were likely to be iffy at forward this year. Our ability to create offense will continue to be a challenge throughout the year given our present forward makeup. The strength in our team clearly lies in D and goaltending. See:

I'm confused as to what the mystery is?

NHL hockey is a 2 way game. We're pretty good at one of those 'ways' and middling/sub-par at the other. As such, we will win games on the strength of our D/goalies and lose them at the weakness of our offense. Given those factors, I expect we'll finish mid pack of the league, just in or out of the playoffs. How good our D/goalies remain and how good or bad our middling offense is will dictate which area of that ledger we fall.

So what's the mystery?

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Teams that defend are teams that get injuries. It's a contact sport you are going to get injuries everywhere but over the corse of the year playing in your own zone is taxing. What do you think is easier on your body? The PP or PK? 

Not disagreeing but FWIW, not scoring =/= always defending. We're far better at transitioning the puck out of our zone and in to the O zone. Scoring or getting chances once there is the bigger issue and will be for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully Rodin helps a touch in that regard but he's no silver bullet cure all. Boesser next year should help yet again.

We're rebuilding. It's a process. Benning can't fix all that ails this team in one day.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How could you?

Do you have the numbers?

And your point was to claim that the Canucks would lead the league in surrendered MSS.

What I'm saying is the Leafs likely lead both categories - for and against - which is the elementary counterpoint to that pathetic troll job or Yost's.

Did you see the shot totals the Canucks allowed - it was game 5 or 6 before they gave up 30 in a game.

Not sure you've been paying as much attention to the games as you are the TrollSportsNetwork.

We could be shut out 10 games in a row and you'd be like 

"Toronto"

Just now, LaBamba said:

We could be shut out 10 games in a row and you'd be like 

"Toronto"

Yawn LaBamba.

I know you understand what I'm talking about - when it comes to discussing Weber or someone else / some other team - you get it.

Anyhow, it's been fun, but we fed this TSN troll enough already.

Obviously TSN felt like they were eating crow now they figured was a great opportunity to expand on their negativity towards the hated Canucks after this down turn.

Watching the Canucks this season the problem I see with a one sided article like this with these multiple shot stats is the Canucks aren't a shot heavy team they pass up a lot of shot opportunities to get better grade A chances and look no further than the Sedins they're notorious for not shooting and pretty much walking it into the net with great passing and rightfully so their shots have no velocity to score from a distance at all.

Basically I have no problem with this other than I'd like to see more players charging the net for rebounds but I'm not that unhappy with our forwards I feel like too much emphasis is put bonus shots differential sometimes. Quite often I see teams shooting from everywhere play us and maybe close to double the shots we have yet we out chanced them as far as Grade A chances go. I think the amnouncers we have get way too caught up in this too panicking and  practically ring all game about it and it's annoying. When you have the rock solid goalies we have the Canucks don't mind these shots they mind more of where they're actually coming from.

Anyway this weekend will be another good look to see what kind of team we have going forward and although it's been a bit rough lately I still believe to a man that this team has what it takes to get into the playoffs then have a punchers shot no matter what pessimists or haters think.

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Math is for nerds, something something about truculence and winning eviroments

I'm a PhD in informatics and I can basically tell you math is for real. If you think that, go dump your cell phone and computer and live without technology. Otherwise bow down to your masters son.

37 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I would also like to know if these are shots 'on' net or shots 'at' net.

We could have Edler doing his wonderful hit the defender shot, retrieve puck and hit the defender again with in 10 seconds. That could be a MSS. But totally useless.

And the sample size is way too low. 

But hey.............go leafs go :lol:

Good points, and isn't a blocked shot rebound goal one of the popular goals these days?  This is why analytics are just one of the tools used, not the only one.  Used alone they can be taken out of context.  

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yawn LaBamba.

I know you understand what I'm talking about - when it comes to discussing Weber or someone else / some other team - you get it.

Anyhow, it's been fun, but we fed this TSN troll enough already.

What I am trying to say is that the source of this information is irrelevant. It doesn't change the information. 

Ah the fun of small samples.

For a while there, we were among the league leaders in CF%. And even through four games, we had the lowest CA60 in the NHL. And now after a rough couple games (and a compressed schedule that we knew would be difficult), we're the worst possession team in the league.

Sure, the trend the last couple games has been bad. Anyone watching the games can tell you that. But if we get back to playing the systems well, our possession differentials should recover.

There's no question that any chart of our performance this season will trend downwards. We were winning and then we started losing (both in the win/loss column and the underlying indicators). That makes the charts slope downwards.

But a few games worth of trends does not provide great predictive value for a season.

Of course, if the short term trends become long term trends, then there will be plenty of reason for Canucks fans to worry. 

Archived