The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Here's Why Canuck Fans Should be Concerned

LaBamba

These fancy stats are bandied about, but there remains a hint of irony..seeing TO at the top of this tilted table was rather rich.

Past few seasons, they've been notorious for decent(unsustainable) starts, where they've eked out wins, despite facing machine gun-barrages. They were poster children for how NOT to build a team, with whacky managers handing out inexplicable contracts.

How many 'tenders have they marched in, claiming to great fanfare they've finally, "shored-up an organizational need"?

How many of these same 'tenders wound up howling at the moon, & putting on their gear backwards? Now when addressing the topic of Andersen, Babcock sounds like some Dr Phil-sort, encouraging a patient.

Would like to see the Cdn teams generally do well..fans SURE PAY their fair share, in this rigged deck. Media however, make it awful hard to cheer on Torrana'...

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Why the Canucks should be concerned.

Common sense.  ANYONE with half a brain and a love for the game knew this was coming.

And as for this gem

The offence is really where the team has taken a turn for the worse.

Really?  in the off season we lost over 40 points from our blue line and replaced it with Gudbranson/Larsen.  From our forward group we lost Vrbata Higgins, McCaan and Etem.  We replaced that with Skille and Eriksson.

Literally, we went SIDEWAYS on our forward losses and NEVER replaced the offense from the worst blueline offensively in the league last year.  Taken a turn for the worse?  pfft taken a turn to the expected and anticipated.

Yay but maybe if you're twitching back and forth sideways looks like going forward?

Lets see how Hutton does - he had some good jump for the 1st few games and maybe he'll find that again. Stecher might be good for a few too. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Huge changes, yes and Rodin will change everything because the preseason. 

Nope, not huge. Incremental.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not disagreeing but FWIW, not scoring =/= always defending. We're far better at transitioning the puck out of our zone and in to the O zone. Scoring or getting chances once there is the bigger issue and will be for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully Rodin helps a touch in that regard but he's no silver bullet cure all. Boesser next year should help yet again.

We're rebuilding. It's a process. Benning can't fix all that ails this team in one day.

These numbers by themselves are meaningless.  What is our oppositions multiple shots per shift?  Are we lower than league average on that too?  I have noticed that we haven't had a heavy forecheck the first 7 games.  We are playing more passively offensively to reduce odd man rushes and reducing our oppositions speed through the neutral zone.

willie is kind of screwed on both ends.  He is finally playing a more defensive style because we have nothing but two way forwards on the team and two solid goaltenders.  We are currently in a playoff position.  The fans are unhappy because that is boring and it looks really bad when you are scoring as few as you are.  Young players hate these type of systems, so unsurprisingly there is unrest and underperformance by the more offensively oriented players.

willie is actually doing a much better job this year than last.  Jim also got rid of all of his pets.  Give it 40 games before rioting.

Canucks need scoring, plain and simple. They brought in Eriksson for that and so far he's disappointed. Only time he scored this year was on his own net. Baertschi's also been a disappointment. The Sedins pass too much and it's like they almost think it's rude to shoot. Canucks need more Horvats and Hansens on the team, players willing to do what they have to do to score.

I don't think we need analytics to tell us that our team has trouble scoring.  I've watched every game this season and yes we have had limited scoring opportunities in every game.  We knew that entering the season we would have problems scoring and defence and goaltender would be our strength.  Also Ericksson and Baertschi have had horrible starts to the season.  Let's not jump off the bridge yet... our defence and goaltending should keep us in most games as we have witnessed so far this season!

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yay but maybe if you're twitching back and forth sideways looks like going forward?

Lets see how Hutton does - he had some good jump for the 1st few games and maybe he'll find that again. Stecher might be good for a few too. 

Let's say Hutton adds 7 points from last year, Stecher nets 10-15 while here and Larsen adds say 20 more.  That's comparable to what we lost but possibly as defensively deficient.

Anyone with open eyes knew this season would be a challenge.  We're only 7 games in but there's already the same issues from last year cropping up so let's see what happens leading in to the new year before really worrying.

All I know is those same issues should be causes of worry

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

These fancy stats are bandied about, but there remains a hint of irony..seeing TO at the top of this tilted table was rather rich.

Past few seasons, they've been notorious for decent(unsustainable) starts, where they've eked out wins, despite facing machine gun-barrages. They were poster children for how NOT to build a team, with whacky managers handing out inexplicable contracts.

How many 'tenders have they marched in, claiming to great fanfare they've finally, "shored-up an organizational need"?

How many of these same 'tenders wound up howling at the moon, & putting on their gear backwards? Now when addressing the topic of Andersen, Babcock sounds like some Dr Phil-sort, encouraging a patient.

Would like to see the Cdn teams generally do well..fans SURE PAY their fair share, in this rigged deck. Media however, make it awful hard to cheer on Torrana'...

Remeber that satire article everyone freaked out about over the summer titled something like "why your team sucks"

I loved that article and love this particular quote, 

"They obsess over a team that doesn't even play in the same conference as them to the point that they practically consider a hockey game starting at 4 PM a constitutional violation. Their only identity, in essence, is wanting everyone to pay attention to them. They're the middle child of the NHL."

So fitting, I see this quote every single day. No matter what, if anything is said negatively about this team it becomes a discussion involving the Toronto Maple leafs. Hahahah. The only people who care about the Toronto maple leafs as much as Toronto Maple Leaf fans are Vancouver Canucks fans and it's absolutely pathetic. 

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Analyticzzzz are 4 loooozzzzerrrzzzz.   

This is a good article.  It confirms the very obvious.  I think we can all agree that we've read some pretty suspect bs over the years.  Data validation remains a critical shortcoming in the public data, and of course, teams all do that for themselves, but no one can ignore the overall conclusions they're drawing here.  The suckitude is just as plain as it was on TV.  But....this is based on 7 games?  Any Phd's in the crowd?  I'm not saying we don't suck, because we probably do, but that sample size definitely sucks.

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Let's say Hutton adds 7 points from last year, Stecher nets 10-15 while here and Larsen adds say 20 more.  That's comparable to what we lost but possibly as defensively deficient.

Anyone with open eyes knew this season would be a challenge.  We're only 7 games in but there's already the same issues from last year cropping up so let's see what happens leading in to the new year before really worrying.

All I know is those same issues should be causes of worry

For sure some of the issues are the same, but with one big difference - youth and the upside for them to get better. I loved Hammer, but he wasn't aging like wine. Hutton and Stecher should just get better and better. 

Personally I'm looking past this season to next year anyway. We might have Hutton, Stecher and Juolevi in the lineup along with Guddy and Tavev. OJ seems to have a sense of the net too. Add to that the possibility of Bo and Boeser together and I'm kind of already fine with the near-inevitable mediocrity of this season. After the shenanings this week I don't believe Willie is capable of getting any more out of this years squad. 

13 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Remeber that satire article everyone freaked out about over the summer titled something like "why your team sucks"

I loved that article and love this particular quote, 

"They obsess over a team that doesn't even play in the same conference as them to the point that they practically consider a hockey game starting at 4 PM a constitutional violation. Their only identity, in essence, is wanting everyone to pay attention to them. They're the middle child of the NHL."

So fitting, I see this quote every single day. No matter what, if anything is said negatively about this team it becomes a discussion involving the Toronto Maple leafs. Hahahah. The only people who care about the Toronto maple leafs as much as Toronto Maple Leaf fans are Vancouver Canucks fans and it's absolutely pathetic. 

Lots of people likely tired of mass media-maipulation. Try to mostly forget whatever they print.

Say that as one who hasn't lived in Canada for over a decade; but there are too many other interesting things happening in the world, to pay much attention to deceptive, petty media-types.

4 hours ago, Kakanucks said:

Where were all the articles when we were 4-0 and the only team undefeated.

Once we lose a few and all of a sudden breakdown of our team performance is left and right. <_<

you do recall that when we won 4 in a row, we never lead the games,( could have gone either way) and 2 of those teams are now bottom 4 in the league and one was Calgary.

The article is not incorrect...unlike a lot of blogs where the homework is not done,Yost backs his up with data...I don't believe the Canucks are anywhere near bottom feeder bad,but..until Baertschi,Horvat,Virtanen,Eriksson kick it up a notch and provide a real secondary threat..we will lose more than we win.

Hopefully,Rodin will be on the scene,sooner than later...He looked like the real deal to me..

It's one stat and not delivered with much context.  On it's own it isn't predictive or proscriptive.  It does point out a possible concern - the fact that we aren't getting a lot of second chances per game to bury the puck.  But it tells us nothing about what we do in our own end.  There are two ends in the game plus the neutral zone.  I think coaching staff should look at the stat and see what it means and keep it in mind.  There is some line juggling to try and shake that up.  Combinations that have been fairly solid offensively in the past, for example.  However, remember that defensively last year, we were much worse than we are this year, so the overall results of line juggling may not be better.

Despite the analytics, the Canucks are currently in 8th place in the league while the Leafs are 25th.  What does that tell you about the stat?

For those crapping on Ericksson, he's a little behind on the points so far.  Don't worry so much about goal scoring for individual players, but keep in mind the roles they are being given.  He's created some very useful screens so others can score, had some good (and one great) assists on the power play and been useful in checking roles.  We do expect more from him in the long run, and hopefully he 'gets there'.  I'm much more concerned about Larsen.  His defensive lapses are showing up strongly in his +/- right now.  I think Stecher is a big improvement in that pp quarterback role as he doesn't have as much down side in his own zone.

We'll see in a few more weeks what shakes out.  

Archived