Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Through 7 games, Phillip Larsen is a -5


Sedin Brothers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tas said:

walking the line on the power play is pointless if you don't get shots through with traffic in front or get the defending players moving out of position. 

 

IMO he has gotten some through, more so than any other D men. 

 

Problem is they put him on the high point in a diamond type formation rather than the traditional 2 D-men working the blueline. They also use Sutter at the halfwall, even though he never one-times or shoots from there.

 

Maybe he should be used where Sutter is currently and put Edler up top so Larson can rip off a one-timer or shot from the half wall. 

 

Seems like this team still wants to run last years PP with the Sedins passing back and forth endless and waiting for Loui to get a close rebound goal. 

 

Yet again the 2nd unit still gets hardly any time, which is a huge detriment to guys like Bear and Bo who need some offensive touches to get going. 

 

Sometimes its up to the coaches to get the most out of the talent they have for the players to shine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

 

IMO he has gotten some through, more so than any other D men. 

 

Problem is they put him on the high point in a diamond type formation rather than the traditional 2 D-men working the blueline. They also use Sutter at the halfwall, even though he never one-times or shoots from there.

 

Maybe he should be used where Sutter is currently and put Edler up top so Larson can rip off a one-timer or shot from the half wall. 

 

Seems like this team still wants to run last years PP with the Sedins passing back and forth endless and waiting for Loui to get a close rebound goal. 

 

Yet again the 2nd unit still gets hardly any time, which is a huge detriment to guys like Bear and Bo who need some offensive touches to get going. 

 

Sometimes its up to the coaches to get the most out of the talent they have for the players to shine. 

 

Boudreau is really putting his stamp in Minnesota - no free passes for the vets anymore.  One of the first things he said is that it's selfish to stay out more than one minute on the PP.  Maybe WD should put a timer so that there's more urgency on the first unit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think the canucks will ultimately keep one of either stecher or larsen

so let's let this play out a bit

the minus numbers both carry

reflect greatly their inexperience (there is room for improvement clearly)

this is early in the process of them being new pro players

i'm more concerned about how they improve and impact the power play

and generate outlet passes

and spur the offence

than whether they are more of a minus player initially

to quote history "it's a process" .. haha

sorry if that brings up bad memories on here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mll said:

 

Boudreau is really putting his stamp in Minnesota - no free passes for the vets anymore.  One of the first things he said is that it's selfish to stay out more than one minute on the PP.  Maybe WD should put a timer so that there's more urgency on the first unit.

 

True, I mean Willie says he wants more out of Bear, Bo and Jake, well the PP is the perfect way to get some chemistry going. Show some trust and faith in the young players and give them some easier opportunities to create offence. 

 

Maybe its early, but the Sedins mishandle a lot of passes to each other whereas in previous years it was kind of automatic. Have not seen so many pucks bounce over their sticks in a while, hopefully their hands arent going the way of Burrows lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bo Horvat was a -30; +/- is a stupid stat. Philip Larsen is a -5; +/- is very applicable in this case. Troy Stecher was -1 in 1 game; +/- doesn't count because we lost 3-0. Typical CDC. He's actually played pretty good considering the low expectations.

 

In reality we would have to see Stecher playing alongside Sbisa with the same defensive assignments to make a true comparison between the two. I don't see that happening unless Stecher starts having a bad game and Willie makes a change mid-game. They are being used in different roles. Still it will be interesting to see how the pp looks. It would also be nice to get more than a few seconds on the pp in an entire game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't really want both Stecher and Larsen in the line up at the same time. Our team can't afford to get smaller back there. 

Choose one and live with it.

They called up Stecher because he had the best chemistry with Edler. When Tanev is ready to play, Stecher will probably be sent down again. That, of course, will generate more Larsen hate even though he is just playing the game and has nothing to do with managerial decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's leading our D in points so far.

Henrik -4

Daniel -3

 

Baer and Eriksson both -2

 

This tells me he's being deploying in situations where our top 6 is left defending and is doing a terrible job. Let's not put all the blame on one player when he has the most points as a defenseman on our club.

 

Hes on pace for 35 points btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

"Powerplay specialist." Seems more like a small forward on the point to me. He's getting preferential minutes playing gravy minutes on the power play.  

I have no problem letting him sit while we invest time in Stecher. If a defender goes down sure, this guy is probably already at his ceiling.

Is he this year's Vey?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Stecher should take his spot for a few games on the pp then we can compare the two.

Skill wise id imagine they are pretty similar. Just one has the eye of the tiger. The other guy doesnt just yet. Whi knows maybe bunk larsen with hansen and some of that intensity will rub off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is he this year's Vey?

He does skate well, he does handle the puck well but , to me , he doesn't seem to see the physicality and strength a professional athlete needs to be competitive. I have no idea what upside they think he has. 

 

The same way Hartley figured out that Ferland could forecheck us out of the playoffs, players will pressure and out muscle Larsen. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

He does skate well, he does handle the puck well but , to me , he doesn't seem to see the physicality and strength a professional athlete needs to be competitive. I have no idea what upside they think he has. 

 

The same way Hartley figured out that Ferland could forecheck us out of the playoffs, players will pressure and out muscle Larsen. 

 

 

 

 

He's so bloody lite, so he gets pushed around too easily.  Plus can he shove a guy off the puck? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Bo Horvat was a -30; +/- is a stupid stat. Philip Larsen is a -5; +/- is very applicable in this case. Troy Stecher was -1 in 1 game; +/- doesn't count because we lost 3-0. Typical CDC. He's actually played pretty good considering the low expectations.

 

In reality we would have to see Stecher playing alongside Sbisa with the same defensive assignments to make a true comparison between the two. I don't see that happening unless Stecher starts having a bad game and Willie makes a change mid-game. They are being used in different roles. Still it will be interesting to see how the pp looks. It would also be nice to get more than a few seconds on the pp in an entire game.

Pretty simple math.. Larsen was on the team for 15GF and 17GA, suggesting he should be close to even +/-, Stecher on the other hand, 0GF and 3GA, a -1 would be expected. 

 

Agree with the rest of your post though. Stecher would likely have similar problems against bigger teams like Larsen (although I give Stecher the edge for his compete level), and who knows if he will be effective offensively, but why not give him a shot to truly compare the two like you said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Pretty simple math.. Larsen was on the team for 15GA and 17GA, suggesting he should be close to even +/-, Stecher on the other hand, 0GF and 3GA, a -1 would be expected. 

 

Agree with the rest of your post though. Stecher would likely have similar problems against bigger teams like Larsen (although I give Stecher the edge for his compete level), and who knows if he will be effective offensively, but why not give him a shot to truly compare the two like you said.

 

Yeah, but it really seems like he plays with a bigger body than his actual size. Really uses his arms well to get around players.

 

But no doubt, Stecher will be in tough against those bigger clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...