The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Win Now or Develop

21 hours ago, Nex is my ex said:

What people don't seem to understand is we are still in the Sedin era.. You don't rebuild with stars already on your team you try to win a cup with them. When the Sedins retire, that's when the rebuild starts.

The rebuild started when Gillis traded Schneider to draft Horvat.

If they wait until the Sedin's retire before rebuilding, Horvat will be 24 or 25 before they even start.  Horvat would be over 30 before the rebuild would even start to come into it's prime.  It's a waste of a lot of good years for Bo.

The rebuild is on my friend.  It is so on.

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The rebuild started when Gillis traded Schneider to draft Horvat.

If they wait until the Sedin's retire before rebuilding, Horvat will be 24 or 25 before they even start.  Horvat would be over 30 before the rebuild would even start to come into it's prime.  It's a waste of a lot of good years for Bo.

The rebuild is on my friend.  It is so on.

That's not a rebuild though.  Rebuild is tearing down to the foundation.  We kept the Twins.  A rebuild cannot begin with the Twins still here.  The rebuild starts when the Twins retire as Canucks.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That's not a rebuild though.  Rebuild is tearing down to the foundation.  We kept the Twins.  A rebuild cannot begin with the Twins still here.  The rebuild starts when the Twins retire as Canucks.

Agree to disagree Alf.  I know that a lot of people see it your way.  

There are 23 players on an active roster + depth that all have to be renewed / replaced in a rebuild.  It all can't be done at once.  There's no reason why the culture carriers can't be the last guys to leave from the old guard.  In this way, a good culture can be passed down more easily and you don't have to re-establish one of the most difficult aspects of a team.

I'm seeing the twins as the last part of the change over for the reason that I just stated.  Not the first.

How do you see the Schneids for Horvat trade?  An exercise in futility.  Something pointless?  I sure don't.

Archived