The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedin's and Hedman to fund ice rinks in Örnsköldsvik

DeltaSwede

Roughly translated from: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article23807848.ab

NHLers fine gift to Örnsköldsvik
Financing ice surfaces in the region

Örnsköldsvik and Ångermanlands hockey federation is scheduled to open two new public ice rinks in Örnsköldsvik.

The investors?
Just some Örnsköldsvik natives named Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Victor Hedman.
The initiative was presented at a press conference on Friday.

The NHL stars have all contributed half a million kronor each (about 75k Canadian) and the ice rinks will be opened before the end of the year.
- This summer we had a meeting with these three guys, and they said yes, even before we had a chance to ask. That was what was so amazing, "This is something we want to be a part of" the NHLers immediatley said, says Peter Blomqvist, chairman of Ångermanlands Ice Hockey Association - according Örnsköldsvik Allehanda.
The ice rinks are supposed to be there for children and young people and offer a chance for the public to play hockey.
- It's fantastic. It shows their willingness to contribute to the development of hockey in Örnsköldsvik, says Blomqvist.

As if we needed any more indication of the great character the Sedin twins possess.

There is something quite magical about the hockey legacy in Örnsköldsvik and a lot of the players make a return to their hometown and support it in anyway they can. The town has certainly had its impact on the Vancouver Canucks with Markus Näslund, Alex Edler, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and Samuel Påhlsson all being from Örnsköldsvik or having spent some of their youth playing for the local team Modo Hockey. Lately, I think a lot of people have forgotten about the legacy the Sedin's will leave behind when their final days as Vancouver Canucks comes and goes. I am certain I will have the privilege to watch them play one final season for my Modo, but for the rest of you, savour this time with them, we will likely never experience something quite like it ever again.

These guys are nothing short of incredible on and off the ice, for all the lumps we've taken as fans and as an organization we sure hit a home run the day Burke landed these two. It's likely we won't see anything like em again.

Props to Hedman too, it's always nice to see guys give back.

3 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Hedman to VAN! Make it happen JB!

Have to wonder what this team would look like if Gillis had pulled off that 2009 trade. Rumour was (and Burkie was only too happy to "share" the information with the press) that we offered Bieksa, Burrows, and our #22 for Tampa's #2 pick (so we could take Hedman).

Probably means no 2011 run (given Burr's "slay the dragon" and Juice's "stanchion" goal). But our defense would have been setup for years with that crucial #1D piece that nearly every Cup winner requires.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Those 3 players being from there is a pretty sweet deal for Örnsköldsvik. Imagine growing up playing hockey in an arena built by your idols. And is it just me or does 75K feel like a deal for an Arena? 

To clarify, these will be outdoor rinks.

Örnsköldsvik has produced the most NHLers per capita out of any place in the world (population: 29,000):

Markus Näslund*

Henrik Sedin*

Daniel Sedin*

Thomas Gradin* - current Vancouver scout

Peter Forsberg

Victor Hedman

Niklas Sundström

Anders Hedberg

Lars Molin

Hans Jonsson

Andreas Salomonsson

Anders Hedberg

Per Svartvadet

Mattias Timander

Linus Ullmark

There are many more names that have carved out impressive careers in Europe as well and others who are not from Örnsköldsvik but played for their youth teams - like Alex Edler, Samuel Påhlsson, Tobias Enström, Niklas Svedberg, Alex Steen (1 season), Mattias Weinhandl (oh what could have been!), Mats Zuccarello (he blossomed at Modo). 

Lukas Wernblom, son of Modo legend Magnus Wernblom, became the youngest goal scorer in Modo history this season and is the next big thing from Örnsköldsvik. Already playing against men as a 16 year old and is eligible for the 2018 NHL draft. Feisty like his father and loves to park himself in front of the net. Should be a top prospect in his draft. A lot of exciting Swedish prospects in the 2017 and 2018 draft classes. 

Edit: Naturally forgot a few names, probably still missing a few

Oh, I had no clue Hedman was also from there... Don't get me wrong 75k Canadian is a lot of money and the Sedins are the epitome of class and I love them to death...

But.... they make $9,368,800 Canadian dollars a year... and they are technically "investors" in this aren't they? 

Good for them, but yea... it's %0.0080052941678764 of their salary. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Oh, I had no clue Hedman was also from there... Don't get me wrong 75k Canadian is a lot of money and the Sedins are the epitome of class and I love them to death...

But.... they make $9,368,800 Canadian dollars a year... and they are technically "investors" in this aren't they? 

Good for them, but yea... it's %0.0080052941678764 of their salary. 

Your point is valid, but consider the different between gross salary and take-home salary. After taxes and all other expenses, which are surely higher for them than most others, their income would be considerably lower. Furthermore, if they plan to be financially stable after they retire, it would be prudent for them to save up a lot more of their salaries than most normal people, further lowering the amount of any excess money they have. This is not to say by any means that they are poor by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe that they have a little less cash to work with than we sometimes think.

13 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Your point is valid, but consider the different between gross salary and take-home salary. After taxes and all other expenses, which are surely higher for them than most others, their income would be considerably lower. Furthermore, if they plan to be financially stable after they retire, it would be prudent for them to save up a lot more of their salaries than most normal people, further lowering the amount of any excess money they have. This is not to say by any means that they are poor by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe that they have a little less cash to work with than we sometimes think.

are u kidding me  they make 7 million us a yr  each even if they pay taxes  thats take home 5.5 mill they never have to work again  hell i could make enough to retire on 400k    even if they only had a yrs wage in a saving acount 3percent interest on 5.5 mill is 167k in interest im pretty sure you can have a good life on 167 grand per yr  not to mention  their career earnings is 64 mill us  plus they probably have smart investments that get 5-15 percent return per yr  im pretty sure they wont be going to the food bank  to eat

Just now, canuktravella said:

are u kidding me  they make 7 million us a yr  each even if they pay taxes  thats take home 5.5 mill they never have to work again  hell i could make enough to retire on 400k    even if they only had a yrs wage in a saving acount 3percent interest on 5.5 mill is 167k in interest im pretty sure you can have a good life on 167 grand per yr  not to mention  their career earnings is 64 mill us  plus they probably have smart investments that get 5-15 percent return per yr  im pretty sure they wont be going to the food bank  to eat

You missed my point. I didn't say they were poor. In fact, I say " This is not to say by any means that they are poor by any stretch of the imagination...". I was just saying that taking 7 million and year and assuming the same expenses as the rest of us is unreasonable. Of course they're still loaded. I never said otherwise.

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

You missed my point. I didn't say they were poor. In fact, I say " This is not to say by any means that they are poor by any stretch of the imagination...". I was just saying that taking 7 million and year and assuming the same expenses as the rest of us is unreasonable. Of course they're still loaded. I never said otherwise.

investing 75 grand for a ice rink in sweden is pennies in a pot.  Yes they might have more expenses than regular people  im sure there huge houses are probably like 40-50k a yr in property taxes compared to 3 k  for a normal family  but the fact that they make more in a paycheque than most people make in a 3 yrs  makes me think its not to big a deal 

Just now, canuktravella said:

investing 75 grand for a ice rink in sweden is pennies in a pot.  Yes they might have more expenses than regular people  im sure there huge houses are probably like 40-50k a yr in property taxes compared to 3 k  for a normal family  but the fact that they make more in a paycheque than most people make in a 3 yrs  makes me think its not to big a deal 

Indeed, I agree, hence why I started my reply to apollo with "Your point is valid".

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Roughly translated from: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article23807848.ab

As if we needed any more indication of the great character the Sedin twins possess.

There is something quite magical about the hockey legacy in Örnsköldsvik and a lot of the players make a return to their hometown and support it in anyway they can. The town has certainly had its impact on the Vancouver Canucks with Markus Näslund, Alex Edler, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and Samuel Påhlsson all being from Örnsköldsvik or having spent some of their youth playing for the local team Modo Hockey. Lately, I think a lot of people have forgotten about the legacy the Sedin's will leave behind when their final days as Vancouver Canucks comes and goes. I am certain I will have the privilege to watch them play one final season for my Modo, but for the rest of you, savour this time with them, we will likely never experience something quite like it ever again.

Two players that will soon be in the hall of fame. Represents the type of people that the Canucks want to have as their representatives/ambassador for long long time even after they retire.

During their prime years of 2007-2014, I don't think there was any line that was more exciting to watch and as dominant in puck possession. Basically whenever they were on the ice, we know the opposition is just going to be stuck in their own zone. I think all of us feel honoured to have witnessed their play live.

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

They write off any charitable contributions... 75K will probably end up costing them 55k actually... although I'm no accountant. 

They make 9.5 Canadian... after taxes they should be at 4.75 + any returns they get on expenses or donations 

Not to mention they both bought quite a lot of property in vancouver over the years and those value has doubled or tripled since they started their career

2 hours ago, khay said:

Two players that will soon be in the hall of fame. Represents the type of people that the Canucks want to have as their representatives/ambassador for long long time even after they retire.

During their prime years of 2007-2014, I don't think there was any line that was more exciting to watch and as dominant in puck possession. Basically whenever they were on the ice, we know the opposition is just going to be stuck in their own zone. I think all of us feel honoured to have witnessed their play live.

That wasn't their prime years. Like 05-12. 14 was a great year.. I expect this year to be similar

Archived