The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should follow Jets' lead with traditional territory recognition

Slegr

Recognizing the traditional territory at the start of various events and meetings goes a long way in setting a greater appreciation of Aboriginal peoples in the country. It's becoming a more frequently endorsed practice. Now imagine an NHL arena filled with thousands of fans beginning its event with such a recognition. Inspiring!

The Winnipeg Jets have started the practice, right before the national anthem. The message says the Jets play on Treaty 1 land which consists of "original territories of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation."

I would love to see the Canucks pick up a similar practice, recognizing this unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples. 

Who's on board? And keep the comments respectful.

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Recognizing the traditional territory at the start of various events and meetings goes a long way in setting a greater appreciation of Aboriginal peoples in the country. It's becoming a more frequently endorsed practice. Now imagine an NHL arena filled with thousands of fans beginning its event with such a recognition. Inspiring!

The Winnipeg Jets have started the practice, right before the national anthem. The message says the Jets play on Treaty 1 land which consists of "original territories of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation."

I would love to see the Canucks pick up a similar practice, recognizing this unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples. 

Who's on board? And keep the comments respectful.

That's all fine and dandy in Winnipeg, where there is the whole Louis Real history of the Metis.  Is there a passionate history of natives here in Vancouver?  It's more an Asian culture here isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's all fine and dandy in Winnipeg, where there is the whole Louis Real history of the Metis.  Is there a passionate history of natives here in Vancouver?  It's more an Asian culture here isn't it?

Quick answer is yes, even if not visible every day. The arena is built on what used to be native land and giving a nod to that is a good gesture. I know in Australia, too, when they have events at places like the Sydney Opera House they recognize the groups who used to live there.

Hi Alf, Asian cultures are a huge part of Vancouver, no question. But BC is also home to one third of all First Nations in Canada, with a strong presence of Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations in Vancouver. Recognizing traditional territory is a sign of respect to the fact these Nations were here before settlers.

This brings me back to a topic many years ago here on CDC.

Someone said that the team is cursed since Rogers Arena is built on what used to be a native burial ground?

That would actually be pretty cool if we did something similar, considering our orca has First Native touches.

Across BC I see a lot of usage of native art in our pop culture - van/Whistler Olympic medal, team canada jersey, beautiful totem poles, the Canuck logo!!! 

I think it is past due, and would be a beautiful thing to incorporate more acknowledgement of First Nations culture into our sporting culture in Vancouver. I think there should be some acknowledgement like in Winnipeg and a cool First Nations- Canuck theme video intro before each home game.

8 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

This brings me back to a topic many years ago here on CDC.

Someone said that the team is cursed since Rogers Arena is built on what used to be a native burial ground?

That would actually be pretty cool if we did something similar, considering our orca has First Native touches.

Didn't an indigenous artist also sue the organization because he claimed they stole the current 'orca breaking through ice' logo from one of his designs? 

16 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Hi Alf, Asian cultures are a huge part of Vancouver, no question. But BC is also home to one third of all First Nations in Canada, with a strong presence of Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations in Vancouver. Recognizing traditional territory is a sign of respect to the fact these Nations were here before settlers.

sounds good to me.   

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Across BC I see a lot of usage of native art in our pop culture - van/Whistler Olympic medal, team canada jersey, beautiful totem poles, the Canuck logo!!! 

I think it is past due, and would be a beautiful thing to incorporate more acknowledgement of First Nations culture into our sporting culture in Vancouver. I think there should be some acknowledgement like in Winnipeg and a cool First Nations- Canuck theme video intro before each home game.

We do quite a lot already don't we?

"On December 11, 2009, the BC government announced that legislation would be introduced in mid-2010 to officially rename the Queen Charlotte Islands as Haida Gwaii. "

But yeah, that would be a nice gesture before the games, so I'm on board with that.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am on board. That would be a very respectful gesture.

We all owe some much to the first nations people of our province.  We should show more respect to their history and culture. 

Just not sure where you draw the line in terms of how far you go with this, it is done now on the Sunshine Coast before school events or even a simple meeting. 

I am all for learning and respecting any specific people's history and culture and this could be done in so many ways involving so many groups of people throughout. But end of the day this is the people of British Columbia, the people of Canada's land of which we have diverse peoples either from before Europeans tried to colonize and after. I teach my child to respect all people and their cultures and history while ensuring my child understands the heritage in our community and its importance moving forward.

I don't feel this little acknowledgement is " too far " but we do need to move past who's land is who's and the dividing aspect of it. We are all British Columbians lets try and move forward as one please.

I can understand how it is respectful to acknowledge First Nations people and their beliefs and cultures. Their ancestors were here long before the white man showed up and developed the country as we know it today. But IMO, respect should go both ways and unfortunately, I don't think it does. 

northern bc ,haida gwaii  as well as the aboriginal population is and has been canuck crazy for a long time ,the last time the canucks came to rupert for a prolonged visit there was a lottery held because the local civic centre (2 full size gyms a rink )wasn't big enough. they come thru here all the time on their way to langara fish lodge every year. the canucks have always said that there amazed how much support there is so far away from the lower mainland.

998961_10153198669820389_1759665783_n.jpg

Sept1913_masset3_slide_slide.jpg

Sept1913_masset4_slide_slide.jpg

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

northern bc ,haida gwaii  as well as the aboriginal population is and has been canuck crazy for a long time ,the last time the canucks came to rupert for a prolonged visit there was a lottery held because the local civic centre (2 full size gyms a rink )wasn't big enough. they come thru here all the time on their way to langara fish lodge every year. the canucks have always said that there amazed how much support there is so far away from the lower mainland.

998961_10153198669820389_1759665783_n.jpg

Sept1913_masset3_slide_slide.jpg

Sept1913_masset4_slide_slide.jpg

We are ALL CANUCKS>>>>>>

Archived