The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should follow Jets' lead with traditional territory recognition

Slegr

That would be pretty cool.

One thing I'd thought of as a sign of respect was this: you know how when they march out on the red carpet the National Anthem singer, usually they also have one or two people out there beside the singer representing our military or local first responders. Why not also add on a rotating basis a representative from one of the three first nations whose land the arena is on? Or would standing there for the anthem be sacrilege for any First Nation?

Just a thought. I'm ready to call it a week and go home now.

I agree that it is good to recognize the indigenous people, however in my opinion, it seems we are simply "recognizing" for the sake of recognizing. 

I have watched and attended various meetings where the indigenous people are recognized, but I wonder how many people truly feel gratitude, or merely say the line for the sake of it.

When Prince William spoke, he recognized the indigenous people, however I doubt there was any true connection/feeling/gratitude.

To me, it is worse when they use the "recognition" line, just as a line in order to be politically correct.

1 hour ago, Kakanucks said:

This brings me back to a topic many years ago here on CDC.

Someone said that the team is cursed since Rogers Arena is built on what used to be a native burial ground?

That would actually be pretty cool if we did something similar, considering our orca has First Native touches.

While we're at it, please take of that disgusting "Rogers" name of our arena. 

God I hate that crooked worthless company.

6 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think we do more than enough to recognize what amounts to 4% of the population.

That 4 percent of the population shaped our province in  such an incredible way......   An amazing culture that has helped make our province great.

Every day i find out more and more about the amazing culture  / history of BC first nations.  

I am more than happy to acknowledge and celebrate First Nations .

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Recognizing the traditional territory at the start of various events and meetings goes a long way in setting a greater appreciation of Aboriginal peoples in the country. It's becoming a more frequently endorsed practice. Now imagine an NHL arena filled with thousands of fans beginning its event with such a recognition. Inspiring!

The Winnipeg Jets have started the practice, right before the national anthem. The message says the Jets play on Treaty 1 land which consists of "original territories of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation."

I would love to see the Canucks pick up a similar practice, recognizing this unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples. 

Who's on board? And keep the comments respectful.

I'm on board...if you started a petition, I would sign it.  

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

northern bc ,haida gwaii  as well as the aboriginal population is and has been canuck crazy for a long time ,the last time the canucks came to rupert for a prolonged visit there was a lottery held because the local civic centre (2 full size gyms a rink )wasn't big enough. they come thru here all the time on their way to langara fish lodge every year. the canucks have always said that there amazed how much support there is so far away from the lower mainland.

998961_10153198669820389_1759665783_n.jpg

Sept1913_masset3_slide_slide.jpg

Sept1913_masset4_slide_slide.jpg

That's awesome!!

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

That 4 percent of the population shaped our province in  such an incredible way......   An amazing culture that has helped make our province great.

Every day i find out more and more about the amazing culture  / history of BC first nations.  

I am more than happy to acknowledge and celebrate First Nations .

I agree, very rich history and success stories from First Nations in BC. Haida Gwaii is also a treasure. A little bit of Vancouver is reserve land (eg. Park Royal and some of the waterfront, etc.). Vancouver airport was voted 14th in the Top 100 airports in the world. Probably in large part to the impressive art throughout. (the next closest Canadian city was Toronto at #44) Our logo is based on Indigenous art, so I think we have, in a way, paid tribute. FIN also bangs an Indigenous drum :)

Archived