The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should follow Jets' lead with traditional territory recognition

Slegr

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

half scottish half haida (rare) lol

I'm French and who knows what.  You know that Cher song?  I got called the same in Junior high.  Made me get in A LOT of fights.  Kind of makes me feel good the Jets recognize native people.  I don't know who the .Canucks would include though?  There are a lot of French speaking First Nations in Coquitlam, or there used to be.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do natives find the using of their traditional hat insulting?  Is this not like wearing a sombrero for a Halloween costume?

You're funny, my furry little alien friend.  I believe the hat was a gift to the team from Haida Gwaii nation when the Canucks went to Masset for the Meet the North Tour a few years ago.  And to honor the Haida Gwaii, they made the gift part of their post-game ritual.  No one was offended by this.  

5 hours ago, Quoted said:

Quick answer is yes, even if not visible every day. The arena is built on what used to be native land and giving a nod to that is a good gesture. I know in Australia, too, when they have events at places like the Sydney Opera House they recognize the groups who used to live there.

Worth a shot to shake off the bad vibes affecting the Canucks the past few years

I would love it, if their was more respect for Canadians that where born and raised in Canada and pay taxes.

we should all be equal. The 1st nation as they want to be called own all the forest in BC the government owns nothing anymore. Canada of all the Newer Countries (300yr) has giving the most to 1st nation.

its a never ending giving onesidely. 1st nation wants they get.

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I would love it, if their was more respect for Canadians that where born and raised in Canada and pay taxes.

we should all be equal. The 1st nation as they want to be called own all the forest in BC the government owns nothing anymore. Canada of all the Newer Countries (300yr) has giving the most to 1st nation.

its a never ending giving onesidely. 1st nation wants they get.

Its a myth that first nations people don't pay taxes. They have opportunities on native lands for the ability to apply for tax breaks following specific criteria and I apologize if im wrong but the understanding was to help promote growth within native lands.

The Canadian Government rightly or wrongly in our Constitution made it clear that we are not all equals. 

Yes the Government has given a lot to first nations in recent years and made it again geared towards helping first nations succeed. In Sechelt the massive open pit aggregate mine must have 20% first nations employed. Unfortunately this has led to shall we say quality control issues in not being able to fully employe the best possible candidates no disrespect meant.

Again it is really a matter of when is enough enough. How far do you acknowledge or take it further and give back to first nations ?

You can look at it bluntly and sorry to say the Europeans came here to take over and convert and build their own country. You will find almost no place in the World where current governments are backtracking and giving back after conquering.

That mindset has to change if anyone expects to move forward or we might as well be another form of Israel/Palestine.

It will never be enough in the eyes of many chiefs think the Shishalsh or Sechelt nation for example self governance and continually fighting for more and more just isn't enough. So it will continue. Again until we all realize we're here to move forward together thete is always going to be issue.

We don't need to adopt acknowledgement of first nations historical lands as a practice but on occasion remembering and celebrating is a good idea

Sechelt didn't  they get a few millions from the government 20 yrs ago...and 10 yrs before that also.

Yes it is not equal at all. First Nation gets gets and doesn't stop getting.

cant cut a tree without asking for promision from 1st nation it's  crazy. There's no place except for Canada in all of North and South America that gives so much time and time again with no end to 1st nations. They should thx their luck stars for what they've been given. 

anywho This is a Hockey forum......what I think should happen 1st nations should say we are all Equal and Canadians.

GO Canucks GO.

Archived